Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

Length
    0"/WL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Look, I've just had a "live chat" with a Clairol Hair Color Expert, and she told me that the color I use Nice N Easy Ultra Light Blonde does not contain bleach but it can lighten your hair up to 2 or 3 shades.
    Oh, sorry I got the product wrong.

In the case of this product these are the ingredients copied from Clairol's ingredient pdf:

COLOR CRÈME FORMULA (1)

9/LIGHT BLONDE
    AQUA/ WATER/ EAU, PROPYLENE GLYCOL,
    CETEARYL ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, TRISODIUM
    ETHYLENEDIAMINE DISUCCINATE, AMMONIUM
    SULFATE, PARFUM/ FRAGRANCE, SODIUM SULFITE,
    DICETYL PHOSPHATE, ASCORBIC ACID, CETETH-10
    PHOSPHATE, STEARETH-200, XANTHAN GUM,
    SODIUM HYDROXIDE, CI 77891/ TITANIUM DIOXIDE,
    DISODIUM EDTA, LINALOOL, PHENYL METHYL
    PYRAZOLONE, RESORCINOL, N,N-BIS(2-HYDROXYETHYL)-P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE SULFATE, 2-METHOXYMETHYL-P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE, 1-NAPHTHOL

COLOR CRÈME ACTIVATOR (2)

9/LIGHT BLONDE
    AQUA/ WATER/ EAU, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE,
    MINERAL OIL/ HUILE MINÉRALE/ PARAFFINUM
    LIQUIDUM, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM CETEARYL
    SULFATE, SALICYLIC ACID, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE,
    PHOSPHORIC ACID, ETIDRONIC ACID

CC+ COLORSEAL™
    CONDITIONER (3)

WATER/ AQUA/ EAU, BIS-HYDROXY/METHOXY
    AMODIMETHICONE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, CETYL
    ALCOHOL, STEARAMIDOPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, BENZYL ALCOHOL,
    FRAGRANCE/ PARFUM, CITRIC ACID,
    DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PROPYLENE
    GLYCOL, BENZYL BENZOATE, EDTA, HISTIDINE,
    SODIUM CHLORIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL,
    LINALOOL, MAGNESIUM NITRATE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

In this case Potassium Persulfate is not an ingredient... I'll give you that.

However, It does contain Ammonium sulfate and Hydrogen peroxide.

Here is a scholarly article that explores dermatological damage from hair bleaching: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...8.2010.00916.x

Here is the abstract:

Scalp burns can be caused by hair bleaching with excess procedures such as unnecessary heating and excessive treatment with bleaching agents. The aim of this study was to investigate the morphological and histological changes of the hair and skin after bleaching. Ammonium persulfate and hydrogen peroxide (6% or 9%) solution mixed at a ratio of 1:2 (weight ratio) were sufficiently applied to human hairs and rat skin. The bleached hairs were brightened up to yellow by increasing the concentration of hydrogen peroxide and time of bleach treatment. After bleaching, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) was used to observe that the cuticle scales of the hairs were irregular and lifted. The mechanical properties of the bleached hairs, such as tensile strength and elongation, were slightly different than the untreated hairs. The tested rat skin showed severe swelling after treatment of the bleaching agent (9% hydrogen peroxide). The rat skin bleached with 9% hydrogen peroxide exhibited epidermal thinning and subepidermal vesicle formation. The extracellular matrix of the skin was seriously disrupted after bleaching. Therefore, the use of only suitable bleaching procedures is suggested in order to avoid injuries.

So, as you can see a mixture of Ammonium persulfate and Hydroden peroxide is the combination of chemicals used as bleach in this experiment.

Bleach is not necessarily one set of chemicals. Here is a webpage that explores a variety of chemicals and chemical combinations that result in bleaching. http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Ar-Bo/Bleaches.html

Personally I am shocked and appalled that someone who has gone to cosmetology school does not know this information. That's dangerous.

Why did the Clarol representative say that there is no bleach?

Semantics

Well, perhaps it has something to do with what neko_kawaii said. Commonly the word bleach is used to describe Clorox or rather a product that uses some combination of sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide and sodium polyacrylate.

Since this product does not contain any of these when using laymen's terms one could say that this is not bleach. However, as far as actual science goes the combination of Ammonium sulfate and Hydrogen peroxide create a bleach.
    Last edited by jane_marie; January 17th, 2020 at 07:39 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

In any case, I would urge you (Dark40) to strand test the product. Buy an extra box and go to town on some sheds or a strand that you can't see (back of the head), and do it a few days before actually committing to the dye.

No one wants a disaster on their hands. I've been there and it's no fun experience, I can tell you that much! What I wouldn't give to prevent stuff like this from happening!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

lol at company rep saying no bleach

...and then bleach is listed in ingredients

Length
    0"/WL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by iforgotmylogin View Post
    lol at company rep saying no bleach

...and then bleach is listed in ingredients
    Yeah, who would have guessed that a product might be misrepresented.

Length
    Pixie/Tbl/Class
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I have dyed my hair for 14 years in a hair salon, I've been told and warned by licensed professionals many many times when I've wanted a lighter shade that color doesn't lift color. You can't lighten your hair without some form of bleach and causing some damage. If you are lightening your color you are basically bleaching it. If the box dye lightens the color only a little, it's probably a milder bleach and less damaging but you're still using harsh chemicals to already chemically treated hair, please be careful and do a strand test.
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.

Just to help convince of the truth of only bleach making lightening possible...

There is no separate pigment for blond and for brown. Brown is simply more of it. You can't add pigment to remove pigment

Red is another story, as is black. Red IS a separate pigment altogether, and black is the blond/brown pigment PLUS blue pigment (the blue cannot exist on it's own)

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    In any case, I would urge you (Dark40) to strand test the product. Buy an extra box and go to town on some sheds or a strand that you can't see (back of the head), and do it a few days before actually committing to the dye.

No one wants a disaster on their hands. I've been there and it's no fun experience, I can tell you that much! What I wouldn't give to prevent stuff like this from happening!
    Yes, thank you for the advice, lapushka! I will perform the strand test before I apply it all over my head. But I've used this color and product once before. Yes, I'm gonna need an extra box for my hair length.

You're right. No one want a disaster on their hands. Yeah, I've also been through hair disasters in the past too, and you're right. It isn't a fun experience.

Length
    24”/31"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Nice n Easy is what I used to make my dark blonde hair a few shades lighter. It ruined my hair. My hair is super fine and thin though. That was years ago now! If it's worked for you in the past then hooray, I'm excited to see results!
    APL - BSL - MBL - **WL** - HL - TBL
    Last dye: Feb 2017
    Last trim: 8th September 2019

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Yes, thank you for the advice, lapushka! I will perform the strand test before I apply it all over my head. But I've used this color and product once before. Yes, I'm gonna need an extra box for my hair length.

You're right. No one want a disaster on their hands. Yeah, I've also been through hair disasters in the past too, and you're right. It isn't a fun experience.
    Yeah, if I can spare you that!

I'm glad you'll be cautious even if you have experience with it (always smart).

I would *love* to see the results!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a nice paranda? I mean, that way, you know what color you're going to wind up with, and if you want a different color tomorrow, you can have it! No need to wait for two weeks. It can also make your hair look much longer & thicker, instantly. No worries about hair melting off...

I mean, henna turned my hair orange I was very lucky that I could put blueberries on it the next day and get back to brown! (which, post-henna, I decided I'm madly in love with.)
    Somebody give me a magic wand I can wave and make everybody content with his or her own hair! If that same magic wand could also end all hair discriminatory attitudes on the part of society in general... A magic wand would be so grand...