Thread: Newbie with hair concerns :/

Default Newbie with hair concerns :/

Hello, thank you so much for accepting me.
    I'm glad I can finally talk to people who care about hair lol. I was wondering if I could request some advice off the bat... this may not be the right place for this, and perhaps you have a thread about this which you could direct me to but my whole life I've always had the thickest hair, only to find that it's about 1/3 of what it was. it's very depressing. it's not necessarily dire because I already had thick hair to start off with but I just dont feel like myself without it. I feel I can't ask anyone about it in real life because I believe that it's due to my contaception (I've had the nexplanon implant in my arm since April 2019) and it feels silly because I just know that anyone in my family will say "don't change your implant just because of your hair. be glad your not pregnant lol". but I'm wondering what you guys think about this? will the lost hair grow back if I change contraceptives? what if it doesn't? That the makes it more urgent doesnt it? Are there any medications or contraceptives that you guys can't/stopped using? What did you use instead?
    I have alot of learning and questions but I think my hair falling out is the most urgent things to begin with
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I'm just desperate for some answers. Thanks

Length
    Chin/SL/APL
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Newbie with hair concerns :/

Hi!
    I don't know much about contraception related to hair loss, but I found this healthline article talking about it
    https://www.healthline.com/health/bi...-loss#takeaway
    To summarize, hormonal birth control can cause hair loss in women who are sensetive to hormone changes, but for most women that stops within a couple of months.
    It doesn't seem like changing birth control would stop that, unless you want to use condoms only.
    I've seen a couple people on here pretty recently talking about hair loss for various reasons, so you're definately not alone.
    best of luck

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I don't know anything about your problem but just popped in to say welcome to the forum
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome to the forum.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18/31/64
    Type
    3c/M/ii

Welcome to the forum!

Though I'm past worrying about BC, I share your concern about hair loss. I was discussing this at the salon with my treasured hair stylist. She says when a woman in her chair is complaining about hair loss, she asks, "Where's your stress". Our bodies don't care about hair so when we come under a lot of stress, the body gives up on hair and channels nutrients to other more necessary places to deal with it. So, maybe you're experiencing some stress as well as the new BC?

Try this thread for more help:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=134545

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

Home is where the heart is

Wow, thank you for all of the welcomes and links. Seeing all of your lovely hair pictures is very encouraging
    I'll definitely have to give this problem more thought. it's so troubling to see all the hair in the shower when I haven't even gone that long without washing.
    Very excited to get stuck into this community. thanks guys

Length
    18/31/64
    Type
    3c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SatrianiRules View Post
    Wow, thank you for all of the welcomes and links. Seeing all of your lovely hair pictures is very encouraging
    I'll definitely have to give this problem more thought. it's so troubling to see all the hair in the shower when I haven't even gone that long without washing.
    Very excited to get stuck into this community. thanks guys
    I know what you mean. August of 2018 until December of that year, was horrible for me. I was devastated. I pulled multiple rat sized hair balls out of my shower drain. Being able to deal with my stress helped loads. My stylist gleefully informed me last month that she saw an abundance of new growth. (I take biotin daily too, btw.) Don't discount tension alopecia either. I no longer sleep in braids. The pull on my roots was too much over time.

Good luck to you and happy growing!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you! I don't have any experience with your problem, but I do know that a lot of people report dramatic changes in their hair when they experience hormonal changes, as with adding/switching birth control. Sympathies <3