Thread: Hair stains everything it touches!

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Question Hair stains everything it touches!

Hello!

Half a year ago I used two step indigo and it kept bleeding everywhere for weeks. Even when my hair was dry, it stained my neck, hands, hairbrush, clothes and pillowcases. Worst part is that I had to clean my neck multiple times a day because it would get blue!

So I swore to never do henna/indigo again, but now would like to giving another try!

Is what I experienced normal and what could be done to make it stick better?

The process I used: henna overnight, rinsed with water only, my hair was super orange. Waited till hair is dry then applied hot (not boiling) indigo with bit of salt for 4 hours under the cling film+towel. Rinsed with water only. No oiling for almost a week.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hair stains everything it touches!

Quote Originally Posted by Morri View Post
    ...snip snip... Rinsed with water only ...snip snip...
    Water doesn't wash anything off, water is just a...idk how to say it, a carrier? It just carries the stuff away, but in order to dislodge the excess of something and actually wash it out you need a detergent of some sort.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Hello!

Half a year ago I used two step indigo and it kept bleeding everywhere for weeks. Even when my hair was dry, it stained my neck, hands, hairbrush, clothes and pillowcases. Worst part is that I had to clean my neck multiple times a day because it would get blue!

So I swore to never do henna/indigo again, but now would like to giving another try!

The process I used: henna overnight, rinsed with water only, my hair was super orange. Waited till hair is dry then applied hot (not boiling) indigo with bit of salt for 4 hours under the cling film+towel. Rinsed with water only. No oiling for almost a week.
    We do have a thread about indigo, where you might get more answers https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=150806

But to answer your question. You might need to wash your hair and not rinse it with just water when you're done. Are you a WO-washer or is it just when you dye your hair?

I've been doing the two step method for years and I've been washing as usual (CO-washer) after and used oils My brush and comb get a bit stained for a few days after, but nothing else.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I normally use sulfate free shampoo but do water only for when I dye my hair regardless of kind of dye used

I was afraid that washing with a conditioner will leach some of the color away! But using something more than just water totally makes sense

Thank you for the advice. I have indigo in my hair as we speak so I will try the cowashing this time!

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Morri, you can't just leach henna and indigo away, those pigments are impossible to remove once they're there, they're staying, so feel free to use any oils and shampoos you want!
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Morri, you can't just leach henna and indigo away, those pigments are impossible to remove once they're there, they're staying, so feel free to use any oils and shampoos you want!

I have read in other threads numerous times that using oil or deep conditioning fades indigo really fast and then you are left with henna alone...

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have read in other threads numerous times that using oil or deep conditioning fades indigo really fast and then you are left with henna alone...
    It happens to me, to a degree. Others don’t experience this and use oils even when applying Indigo with great results.

I do however cowash after indigo and that has never make it fade. You have to remove the excess somehow and it also helps my hair to gain moisture back after the application.

It has faded a bit after numerous washes with harsh sulfates, and it still looks quite dark (but I’m too perfectionist and whine a lot about it not being black enough ). A couple applications a year keep mine on track, maybe in the future once a year will do.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I use oils and hair salves after without any problems and even a bit of oil in the indigo.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Hello!

This has precisely been my problem although indigo has stuck nicely on the length. I'm just getting ready for a henndigo now but am going to change it up a bit. Not sure if it will work, but I'm going to treat henndigo as a deposit only so multiple coats and I'm going to wash with shikakai after each application. I don't mind indigo it's the rub off I don't like!
    SL-->APL-->BSL-->MBL-->WL-->HL-->BCL-->TBL-->CL--->
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hennalove View Post
    I'm going to treat henndigo as a deposit only so multiple coats and I'm going to wash with shikakai after each application.
    wow! that sounds like a lot of work, hope it works!

The indigo I used this time was likely an old crop because it released very little dye. At one point I was even applying it with my bare hands and they did not get stained and overall it was a waste of time. I hoped that maybe it will release more dye within next two hours

So, I will have to try again once I'm mentally prepared and have more indigo. And then do a cowash, I really think that's the missing link thank you everyone!