Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassia & amla on blonde hair?

Default Cassia & amla on blonde hair?

Hi all I'm hoping to get some advice on whether its a good idea to use cassia and amla on my very light blonde hair. My aim is to dye my natural white hair blonde to match the rest, which has been lightened. My natural colour is very dark brown but I started getting white hairs in my 20s and since developing hypothyroidism 13 years ago the white has increased a lot and I started lightening to blend them in. Ive been blonde for years and want to stay that way, will cassia and amla give a pale blonde tint to my white areas? The last time I used an ammonia free permanent box blonde on my roots was mid december and the whites are well and truly back.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Cassia & amla on blonde hair?

Cassia will do the job, I'm not sure about amla though. Best to strand test or if you prefer to just try cassia and see, if it turns out not quite right you'll only need to wait a few weeks for it to wear off anyway.
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Thanks, could you advise on how to control the resulting shade? I read that adding amla to the mix would make it less yellow but also read a thread where amla turns blonde hair darker over time.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't know (at all), sorry - the cassia thread might help

Edit: here https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...read.php?t=406

Also, just noticed you're new - welcome!
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ab1J View Post
    Hi all I'm hoping to get some advice on whether its a good idea to use cassia and amla on my very light blonde hair. My aim is to dye my natural white hair blonde to match the rest, which has been lightened. My natural colour is very dark brown but I started getting white hairs in my 20s and since developing hypothyroidism 13 years ago the white has increased a lot and I started lightening to blend them in. Ive been blonde for years and want to stay that way, will cassia and amla give a pale blonde tint to my white areas? The last time I used an ammonia free permanent box blonde on my roots was mid december and the whites are well and truly back.
    Cassia is going to leave a yellow/light blonde stain on light hair that will last 2 weeks up to a month, depending on how much you wash.

But I would not recommend Amla as that is notorious for a darker color, unless that is what you're going for.

ETA:/
    Please don't put it all on your head and hope for the best. Collect shed hairs for a few weeks to a month and try it out on that first.
    Strand test! It's a given with natural dyes!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I currently have cassia and amla on my head! I did a strand test and it turned out ok,, just slightly more golden than my hair was before so I’m taking the plunge, having a bit of a disaster though! I tried to put it on dry hair and it was impossible, could not get the stuff to spread at all and there was no way it was going to cover my whole head. So I ended up wetting it a bit with the stuff already on there and smooshing it through that’s way- consequently it is very drippy! My ears are actually full of it, it feels horrible! I’m just going to leave it on for an hour and see what happens, fingers crossed!

Well that didn’t work! I only left it on for 40 mins I’m the end, couldn’t stand the dripping and the end result was no change at all. I had to do a conditioning mask after as it felt horrible. It had no effect on the grey, other than removing the wash in wash out that I had in there. I did 4 tsp cassia and 1 tsp amla with boiling water and let it sit in the airing cupboard for 4 hours. Anyone have any idea why nothing much happened? Maybe because I put water on after it was in my hair, or didn’t leave it long enough?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ab1J View Post
    Well that didn’t work! I only left it on for 40 mins I’m the end, couldn’t stand the dripping and the end result was no change at all. I had to do a conditioning mask after as it felt horrible. It had no effect on the grey, other than removing the wash in wash out that I had in there. I did 4 tsp cassia and 1 tsp amla with boiling water and let it sit in the airing cupboard for 4 hours. Anyone have any idea why nothing much happened? Maybe because I put water on after it was in my hair, or didn’t leave it long enough?
    Gray hair is notoriously hard to cover. There's that.

It should work with cassia though; maybe next time only try cassia and don't put the amla in there?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

4 tsp cassia doesn't seem like very much at all. That's probably why the "dye" didn't take--it was too weak. Cassia, much like henna, has to be applied thick. I used to use between 50 and 100 g (of henna) for a root touch up, and about 200-300g for my full head (thin waist-length hair).

Cassia has a lovely thickening effect on my hair. I never got had any "it feels horrible" results, but I've never used amla. I maybe wouldn't use boiling water either. That might cause dye release too quickly. I use to have much success (again, with henna and a hennia-cassia mix, but straight cassia should be similar enough) using warm water and letting it sit for 1 or more hours in a warm spot.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Thanks for replying Lapushka and Samanthaa, now that it’s dry I can see that it has added a golden tint to my blonde hair but not the greys. I guess I was a bit frugal with the quantities but when I mixed it up it looked like as much volume as I would put on of conditioner but I didn’t take into account how it doesn’t spread at all! I added the amla as I read that would tone down the yellow and give more of a natural blonde colour, and also because I have curly hair and I was worried cassia might relax my curls.
    Now it’s dry it actually feels lovely, immediately after washing it just felt like all the moisture had been sucked out of it but conditioner sorted it out and it actually feels much better than it did before. I might try doing just the grey areas again in a few days, I wonder is there anything I can add to it to make it spread through the hair more easily without diluting the colour?