Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you use indian herbs?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default How do you use indian herbs?

I occasionally use different herbs, mostly for my scalp as it likes neem and fenugreek.I generally mix my powders like henna, into a tick mud and apply. Problem is, it doesn't work like henna. lnstead of being creamy and easy to apply, its dry, crumbly and messy.I rarely can work the mixture onto my scalp, where I really want it to be.I use water mostly but have also use aloe gel with the same result. I can't use conditioner, my scalp hates it.Is there anything else I can use that is oil and conditioner free? For those of you who use herbs a lot, how are you doing it?I'm sitting here now with a mess of amla and neem on my head with drips running all over.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How do you use indian herbs?

I use cassia two times a month and I mix it coconut milk. The consistency should be like pancake batter so it doesn't drip. I think coconut milk really helps with the application and dry and crumbly consistency of the mud. The conditioning properties are awesome as well!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

It sounds nice but my hair hates coconut. I think I'm going to give up on amla, it seems to be the biggest culprit and its so acidic it dries my hair. Just not worth it.

I'll have to try the neem on its own, I know it really helps when my SD acts up. I wonder if a really thin mix applied with a squeeze bottle would help with application. It would drip but at least it would be on my scalp.

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Usually fenugreek powder makes any mix more goopy and sticky so it doesn't drip. If you're using water from the seeds, try grinding up the soaked seeds into powder. Otherwise, just use powder and add until the mix gets thick enough.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I agree that the fenugreek powder (Methi in Indian shops) helps a lot. I spent years washing my hair with Indian herbs, and tried the various methods for using it. I finally decided to just put the dry herbs through a funnel into a very large plastic bottle, fill the bottle up most of the way with fairly hot water, shake the heck out of it, and slowly dump the whole bottle over my hair as I massaged my scalp. It cleans very well, you don't have to leave it on any length of time, and it left my hair clean and shiny.

I know some folks like to make a tea of the herbs and water, and others like to work it into the hair in a thick paste, but the shake and pour method works just as well and is way, way easier. Hope this helps.

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    1b/F/i

Have you looked into sedr powder? Henna sooq has some, but I bought a large bag off Amazon that I have yet to have the courage to sample (I need to to a hair test first and I feel lazy). It is supposed to have similar thickening and conditioning properties to henna but not deposit color.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I haven't looked at sidr powder. I'm not really looking for conditioning, I'm more for scalp treatments which is why I like neem.

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I haven't looked at sidr powder. I'm not really looking for conditioning, I'm more for scalp treatments which is why I like neem.
    Some women like sidr as a scalp treatment. I thought it might be more of a vehicle for your other herbs that you like to use--when you mix it with water, it creates a cohesive gel-like texture that would be a step up from the gritty texture you dislike. You could probably mix in a few other powdered herbs.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Oh yes, a gel like consistency would be helpful. I'll look into it, thanks.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Exept BAQ henna (that needs to be fine enough to create intricate, nitid designs on hands and body), all herbal powders have a gritty consistency, some more than others. Unless you buy a grinder and a sifter and adjust things yourself, I fear most brands have the same issue (IMHE). Sorry
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; January 7th, 2020 at 04:28 AM.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...