Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Here! Dry Shampoo

Length
    11/CL/BWL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

Default Re: Newbie Here! Dry Shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by Laurab View Post
    I haven't heard anything bad about dry shampoo, but I also don't really use it. I feel like i have to use too much for it to work and then my hair feels weird.
    But if it works for you I wouldn't worry too much, just as long as you're not over-using it.

I also like Argan oil in my hair. I just got some recently, a couple of weeks ago. It's super light and adds a lot of shine.
    You really barely need any oil in your hair if you're just using it as daily application. A couple drops will be fine. I like to oil the underneath of my hair before the top, just so the top doesn't start to look too oily.
    Hi Laurab

I seem to be using the dry shampoo more frequently now on my scalp and underneath the top layer where it gets the most oily it seems to be worse now my hair is shorter. Did you find this when you had chin length hair? When I had shoulder length i swear my hair didn't get as oily or it wasn't as noticeable......

Hopefully I can use it less once my hair has grown a bit.....

Length
    11/CL/BWL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome!

You might want to try to add something moisturizing before the oil I prefer aloe vera gel and then a few drops of oil. Aloe vera adds moisture, oils locks it in and adds fatty acid.
    Thanks for the tip! I've not heard of that method before but it totally makes sense! I'll have to try it out!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you!

I have no input on the dry shampoo question as I've never used one. I've heard almond oil recommended as a "lightweight" oil, though, and it's not all that expensive.

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteLongHair View Post
    Hi Laurab

I seem to be using the dry shampoo more frequently now on my scalp and underneath the top layer where it gets the most oily it seems to be worse now my hair is shorter. Did you find this when you had chin length hair? When I had shoulder length i swear my hair didn't get as oily or it wasn't as noticeable......

When hair is longer, the sebum/grease, can spread through the lengths. That's why a lot of people find their hair more oily while shorter

Home is where the heart is

Length
    Chin/SL/APL
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteLongHair View Post
    Hi Laurab

I 100% felt like my hair got oily faster when it was shorter, but that makes sense! It doesn't get distributed down a length of hair, it sticks to the shorter bits.

I do like brushiing through my hair with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils better, it helps a lot. Also just scalp massages.

I've also learned that co-washing CAN work with my hair, I just need to do it properly.
    I've recently tried using a silicone free conditioner for the cowash and using it from root to tip. For me, it breaks down some of the oils on my hair. It's not a full substitute for shampoo, but I got an extra two days out of my last wash.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome to the forum! I scarcely ever use dry shampoo, as I prefer to wash, but if I do need something in an emergency I just use a little talcum powder which I then brush out.

As for oils, my fine hair likes coconut oil, almond oil, which is much lighter, and mineral oil, which I use with the ROO (rinse out oil) method. I haven't tried argan oil.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I use dry shampoo just on my bangs, since i have oily skin my bangs can get quite oily before the rest of my hair is ready for a wash. I noticed that my scalp would get irritated if i sprayed it right at my roots, so i'd recommend aiming the nozzle at you hair instead of your scalp so you can avoid this as well!