Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can washing your hair too little increase shedding?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Can washing your hair too little increase shedding?

Quote Originally Posted by itskate View Post
    This thread is very interesting and enlightening-- I have been trying to stretch my washes because I always thought "less washing =healthier" and also out of laziness... but at day 4 my hair has been so, so greasy and slightly sore. At the same time I have been trying to give up sulfates again, so I felt like I couldn't properly get my scalp clean after accumulating so much grease. Yesterday I washed on day 3 with my sulfate shampoo and honestly, my scalp feels great, I just followed up with a ton of conditioner so the length didn't get too dry. It's nice to see some other feedback on sulfates, aka that they aren't totally evil, haha. I am rethinking my methods, maybe cleansing with sulfates every 3 days would work better for me. Or my hair will stop producing less oil over time and THEN I can stretch to 4 days, but if not I suppose that's fine.
    For many people who do have a problem with sulphates, it's that they're stripping or drying on the lengths. Then there's the other section who have a problem with sulphates, and it's because their scalp doesn't tolerate them. However for many people they're just fine, and a portion of those people actually *need* them.

If it turns out that sulphates are a problem for your lengths but your scalp is happiest with them, you could try CWC to protect the hair somewhat, and when it's longer you could try scalp-only washing, keeping the lengths dry.

To be honest, usually the only way to find out what works best for each of us is to experiment, at least a little if not a lot. If we didn't, and just stayed with what seemed to be working okay without seeing if anything worked better, many of us would never discover our hair's potential. But it's also important not to stick with anything that clearly doesn't work - and a sore scalp is a very good indication that something's not working.
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Sulfates really aren't the devil. I watch a lot of naturals on YT (curly girls) and some barely cleanse, and then inevitably dandruffy flaky skin follows and then they wonder why. I mean... you really should clarify at least once a month if you have somewhat oily problematic scalp.

I mean, some people (like GRU on here) can get away with CO-washing non-stop, and even my mom can go as far as 3 months between washes, but these people are *rare*, trust me!
    So many things having to do with hair care--and just bodies in general!--are so extremely "YMMV," and how often the hair/scalp needs to be washed and in what way seem to be among the most variable. I have a very oily scalp but can nonetheless get away with washing weekly or longer, and that's what I like to do--it doesn't irritate my scalp, my lengths always tend towards the dry side of things, it takes f o r e v e r for my hair to dry, it doesn't much matter to me if my scalp looks oily because it's under a headscarf anyway, I can mostly ignore my hair six days of the week, etc. So that's a lot of combined variables that makes weekly washing a good fit for me. But get anything oily (other than sebum) on my scalp and I need to wash immediately or it will react terribly! So much is situationally specific.

We've kind of gotten on a digression from what jane_marie was actually asking about. I'm still inclined to guess that your shed rate is reasonably stable and you're just seeing more of them when you wash because you're manipulating your hair less often than you had been, allowing the sheds to mostly stay caught "up in there" between washes. But it could also be that stretching washes really is exacerbating the shed rate, as several people have attested to in their own cases. Regardless of whether you're shedding more or not, it sounds like you don't much like stretching washes to the degree you have been recently; it's become a stressor. So why do it? You're the only person living in your body, and you are best positioned to figure out what it likes. There's no one-size-fits all solution, but it sounds like washing two or three times a week as you had been was probably a better fit for you/your hair.
    Last edited by shelomit; December 13th, 2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar fail : p

Length
    0"/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Hello everyone! Thank you all so so much for all of your responses to my questions!

I'm sorry I haven't had time to respond to all of your helpful insights... I've been really stressed.

However, these answers have all been very enlightening and I appreciate you taking the time respond.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Not only I shed remarkably more with stretching washes (3+ days), but also conditioner near my scalp does the same
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Not only I shed remarkably more with stretching washes (3+ days), but also conditioner near my scalp does the same
    Oil or conditioner near my scalp is the worst! I shed boat loads more. I do have SD (seborrheic dermatitis), though!!!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I find if I stretch for a week the shedding is crazy! I don't really comb my hair between either because its got ringlets and waves. Maybe I'll do some finger combing.

If I wash every 2-3 days I don't see much shedding, not anything close to the weekly one