Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for super damaged hair

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Advice needed for super damaged hair

Quote Originally Posted by Laurab View Post
    I agree with everyone saying deep conditioner. the Garnier Fructise treats are really popular on here, and they're not super expensive or hard to find, at least where I live. That might be a good place to start.
    These are called one minute hair masks. Do they work better if left on for an hour or two?

Length
    HL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Liz H View Post
    These are called one minute hair masks. Do they work better if left on for an hour or two?
    I personally don't believe in any minute recommendations. I leave mine in for as long as I can bother with, which, in my usual hair washing routine, tends to mean around 5-10 minutes. My favourite is the papaya variety.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.
    TBL by Yule 2020 | Classic by Yule 2020 | No-trimming 2020 (first half)

Type
    1b/F/ii

I'll try to see her in the next few days, to get a 2nd look at her hair, and ask more questions. Too bad it's a 45 minute drive over here! We didn't have much time to talk two weeks ago on Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, I'm compiling a list of some basic hair care tips. I suspect she's not enough of a nerd to spend hours poring over the LHC.

The henna gloss I use is super moisturizing. It left my hair much softer than before I used it. It's 1/3 each aloe vera powder, cassia and henna. I use no liquid, only conditioner. Will definitely strand test first. If the test strand isn't softer, we'll reconsider. I've recommended at least one moisturizing treatment first.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Not certain a henna gloss is the best idea straight away. Henna doesn't have protein, but it mimics the action of protein in a lot of ways. If her hair is already verging on "straw-y," thickening it up with henna might only make it more prone to snap and not be worth the conditioning effect. Plus there's all the manipulation involved in a henna application/rinse on that already fragile hair. You'd want a henna-light, super-moisturizing gloss and a lottttt of strand-testing first.

So yeah: build up some moisture immediately, then worry about thickening (whether via protein treatments, henna, or both).
    I'm sorry to say I don't know her routine. She has stopped the dye and hasn't bleached.
    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What is her routine like? Up to the products she uses.
    Does she still dye?
    Does she bleach?
    Thanks for the product recommendation. I'll suggest it along with the Garnier Fructis masks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arciela View Post
    Davines io condtioner was my go to when my hair was very damaged. It helped mask it a lot! Also if your friend can stretch washes that may help also. Seconding the advice of trimming out the damage slowly too.
    Can you or anyone else recommend a serum? I've never used one, though I would probably benefit from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLou View Post
    I would start using a hair mask instead of a conditioner every time she washes her hair. I would also always apply a coney serum on the ends because that can do wonders for damaged hair. I personally would blow dry the hair with a (round) brush to get the frizz out, it is not super great for the hair but the hair is also not going to heal itself so sometimes you just got to work with what you have - also blow drying is still a lot less damaging than other heat tools. Definitely use a heat protectant when you blow dry.
    Last edited by Liz H; December 10th, 2019 at 01:54 AM. Reason: more info

Can you or anyone else recommend a serum? I've never used one, though I would probably benefit from it.
    I've used the inecto divine shine coconut in the past, which was okay. I'm personally not using any serum right now because my hair is so healthy that it doesn't benefit from it.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

For me it does not work better, no. I have tested it with a regular conditioner. But YMMV, it's up to personal preference.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm sorry to say I don't know her routine. She has stopped the dye and hasn't bleached.
    Oh that's too bad. Recommending things would be so much easier if we knew a bit more information. Also things can be very personal with product-use, what works for one might not work for someone else.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've always like this serum, works well and smells nice. Can find it at almost any store that had a decent hair care section.

https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fruct.../dp/B006J44BSI

I'm going to be the odd one out and suggest a protein mask if deep conditioner doesn't help much. Bleaching breaks down the proteins in hair.
    My hair normally hates protein but since I bleached it, I do need mild protein treatments periodically.

I need to try a protein shampoo and conditioner, see if that helps while I grow out the damage.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

For me, any conditioner works markedly better after leaving it on for an hour or more. I tend to go anywhere between 2-6hours (gives me chance to recover from putting it on damp hair before the energy-drain that is showering). But other people find a significant difference after 30mins, so your friend could just experiment with leaving the same product on for different lengths of time and seeing what works best for her.

Edit: there is anecdotal evidence that if no moisturising efforts work, the hair does need protein in order to hold onto the moisture. But I'd recommend trying the moisturising first, or using a conditioner containing amino acids rather than any larger proteins.
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; December 10th, 2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    For me, any conditioner works markedly better after leaving it on for an hour or more. I tend to go anywhere between 2-6hours (gives me chance to recover from putting it on damp hair before the energy-drain that is showering). But other people find a significant difference after 30mins, so your friend could just experiment with leaving the same product on for different lengths of time and seeing what works best for her.

Edit: there is anecdotal evidence that if no moisturising efforts work, the hair does need protein in order to hold onto the moisture. But I'd recommend trying the moisturising first, or using a conditioner containing amino acids rather than any larger proteins.
    That's interesting!

I've even left my conditioner in, without rinsing them out afterwards. It helps a lot when my hair is dry
    CHL SL APL BSL WL

Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks for all the replies. My friend asks that I not discuss her hair, so I'll honor her request.