Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

  1. #41
    Member itskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    130
    Length
    buzz/SL/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    The ACV rinse made my hair suuuuuuper soft, it's very pleasant to touch right now and yesterday. I noticed the smell lingering the day after only if I held a chunk of my hair and sniffed it, but nothing that anyone else would smell. If you are sensitive about smells like that it might bother you but I don't know how it would react on others' hair. I did it after shampoo and then conditioned with a lavender conditioner when it was mostly rinsed out, which was actually a pretty pleasant combination, very....herb-y? I enjoyed it! Then I did my usual rinse off with cold water (I can't completely wash with cold water, it's way too uncomfortable, but I always do a final rinse with it). I can't speak to anyone else's experience with ACV nor do I really even understand why certain rinses do what they do or what my hair needs, but I will be doing it again! Even after a sulphate shampoo it's super soft, and my hair has been feeling on the dry side for months since switching over to constant sulphate use (I have been getting away from it again, to be fair, but it is softer than usual)
    just growing along and seeing how far I go!
    originally made it to BSL, then cut to chin in june 2019 to remove damage. current length: awkwardly past shoulder. collarbone maybe?

  2. #42
    Member giraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    336
    Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by itskate View Post
    The ACV rinse made my hair suuuuuuper soft, it's very pleasant to touch right now and yesterday. I noticed the smell lingering the day after only if I held a chunk of my hair and sniffed it, but nothing that anyone else would smell. If you are sensitive about smells like that it might bother you but I don't know how it would react on others' hair. I did it after shampoo and then conditioned with a lavender conditioner when it was mostly rinsed out, which was actually a pretty pleasant combination, very....herb-y? I enjoyed it! Then I did my usual rinse off with cold water (I can't completely wash with cold water, it's way too uncomfortable, but I always do a final rinse with it). I can't speak to anyone else's experience with ACV nor do I really even understand why certain rinses do what they do or what my hair needs, but I will be doing it again! Even after a sulphate shampoo it's super soft, and my hair has been feeling on the dry side for months since switching over to constant sulphate use (I have been getting away from it again, to be fair, but it is softer than usual)
    How lovely! My hair is also very soft the day after, but yesterday after the wash, it felt a bit dryer than usual..
    CHL SL APL BSL WL

  3. #43
    Member Panthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    389
    Length
    Pixie/Tbl/Class
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    Acv is supposed to close the hair cuticles so it's best to use it after the conditioner. At least if you have trouble moisturizing your hair. Hair absorbs moisture and products best when the cuticle is open. Warm water should open the cuticle and cool water close it. I don't know how much acv really closes the cuticles, I always use a leave in so in theory acv rinse might not be very good for me. I've tried it twice and didn't see any difference in my hair. Maybe a more consistent use might do something or maybe it just doesn't affect naturally low porosity hair.

    I personally don't believe in "external" growth methods, genes and nutrition are the most important things in my opinion. Hair doesn't grow faster if you use a product x but it might feel like it's growing faster if the hair is in better condition and doesn't split and break. Challenges like this can be a good way to have some routines, help to take better care of your hair and experimenting and learning new things can be very fun and exciting.

    If there's someone here who is new to haircare, oiling, deep treatments etc, keep in mind moisturizing your hair too much can lead to buildup and over-moisturized flat and limp hair, especially if you're not using sulfates. Try not to overdo it and clarify your hair if it starts feeling slimy and nasty. But how much is too much, it's a trial and error kind of thing you will learn while experimenting. Been there done that.
    (sorry for the off topic things)
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.


  4. #44
    Member giraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    336
    Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
    Acv is supposed to close the hair cuticles so it's best to use it after the conditioner. At least if you have trouble moisturizing your hair. Hair absorbs moisture and products best when the cuticle is open. Warm water should open the cuticle and cool water close it. I don't know how much acv really closes the cuticles, I always use a leave in so in theory acv rinse might not be very good for me. I've tried it twice and didn't see any difference in my hair. Maybe a more consistent use might do something or maybe it just doesn't affect naturally low porosity hair.

    I personally don't believe in "external" growth methods, genes and nutrition are the most important things in my opinion. Hair doesn't grow faster if you use a product x but it might feel like it's growing faster if the hair is in better condition and doesn't split and break. Challenges like this can be a good way to have some routines, help to take better care of your hair and experimenting and learning new things can be very fun and exciting.

    If there's someone here who is new to haircare, oiling, deep treatments etc, keep in mind moisturizing your hair too much can lead to buildup and over-moisturized flat and limp hair, especially if you're not using sulfates. Try not to overdo it and clarify your hair if it starts feeling slimy and nasty. But how much is too much, it's a trial and error kind of thing you will learn while experimenting. Been there done that.
    (sorry for the off topic things)
    Thanks for chiming in! Yeah, it's a fun challenge when you're getting into hair care (again). And thanks for the heads up! Personally, I haven't been moisturizing my hair enough the last year, so I'm overcompensating now. Even with using argan oil daily, I've never had build-up. But to each their own! It's just about getting to know what your hair needs, in the end.

    On the acv: I think I also have low porosity hair. I'm not seeing a massive difference after one time's use, but I still think I'll give it another go. Makes sense that it should go after the conditioner!
    CHL SL APL BSL WL

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Age
    22
    Posts
    34
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    I guess I'll try it after conditioner as well I felt it made my hair a bit dry, but it seems to have reduced my dandruff so I can see how it could be benefitting.
    .................
    ☀ Chin ▪ SL ▪ APL ▪ BSL ▪ WL ▪ Hip ☾

  6. #46
    Queen of peace Stray_mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lithuania
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,386
    Length
    ChL/APL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    I don't do these challenges since i don't tape measure my hair ever, but good luck to everyone who is participating!

  7. #47
    Member AmberWillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    96
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    I did a cowash yesterday, as my hair wasn't due for a wash but looked gross, and did the apple cider vingear rinse afterwards. Hair feels nice!

  8. #48
    Member Panthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    389
    Length
    Pixie/Tbl/Class
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    I did a scalp treatment, washed the oil off with herbs and did an acv-rinse, I had the smelliest wash day ever. My hair doesn't like coconut oil so I used avocado oil instead and also used castor oil, ginger oil and peppermint oil. I've never combined different oils together so it was very interesting. I had no idea how much to use them so I just poured random amounts of everything and created a very smelly liquid which actually helped a lot with my flu symptoms I was having, my stuffy nose got so runny. My hair actually does feel a bit more... slippery maybe or just less frizzy.
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.


  9. #49
    Member giraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    336
    Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
    I did a scalp treatment, washed the oil off with herbs and did an acv-rinse, I had the smelliest wash day ever.
    Hah, I can imagine!

    I did a scalp treatment before my wash, and then a reconstruction mask. I'm really happy with the Roots scalp mask I bought from Lush. I don't have to use a lot each time, so I think it will last a while. There's only a small dent in it after three times. I heard others got about 6-7 uses out of it, how much to they use?!

    I haven't smelled anything from my bathroom or hair from the acv rinse I did earlier today, but I noticed the smell in the shower today.. Don't know where it came from.. We've used the shower since then. Was the acv still left in my hair "awakened" by getting wet? I have no idea.
    CHL SL APL BSL WL

  10. #50
    Member giraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    336
    Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

    Default Re: Organicallyanna's Winter Hair Growth Challenge 2019/20

    How are we all doing? Iím going into my second inversion week tomorrow because I started a week early. Have been able to keep up with the masks so far, and my hair feels happy for it! Have only done the rinse once, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •