Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Psoriasis- help for my dad please

Default Psoriasis- help for my dad please

I know there are lots of threads that mentioned psoriasis so Iím sorry to start a new one, but I just donít have time to read them all to see if thereís a solution, because weíre in the middle of a family crisis. (My brother lives with my dad and is officially his carer but he is in hospital for at least a week so I am taking over, but have a young child to look after and my husband will be abroad for a few days so everything has gone a bit crazy.)

My dad is 95 and has severe psoriasis. He developed a reaction to methotrexate after 10-15 years. He has been having UV therapy but it has been stopped because it isnít effective. He is now using steroid cream and emollients.

Dad and is currently using Head & Shoulders. He has flakes in his hair and his scalp is bothering to the extent that he wants to shave his hair off and just get it sorted out. Cutting his hair isnít a problem, I just want to know what products he should be using.

Given my dadís age, any solution needs to be as easy as possible - ie which shampoo should he use. Would a medicated shampoo help? Weíre seeing a consultant tomorrow so they might suggest something but I wanted to draw on the wealth of experience in this forum.

The condition of his hair isnít an issue because itís short, I just want him to feel comfortable.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

Length
    Chin/SL/APL
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Psoriasis- help for my dad please

I don't know much about psoriasis, but I know my dad uses selsun blue. I think it's a pretty common one to use for dandruff and scalp conditions. My dad's just said he uses it for dandruff though.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I'm just brainstorming here. I've had such good success using my egg yolk & Thayer's Witch Hazel Shampoo (Mix a raw egg yolk with about a Tablespoon of witch hazel, whip it with a fork, apply to scalp & massage gently for 5 minutes, cover with plastic shower cap, let it sit 5 minutes, rinse it out. [My rinse water is bottled spring water + ACV + tea tree oil + peppermint EO + clove EO.] No other shampoo nor conditioner needed.), I'd say to use it. (No, I don't have psoriasis, but one could argue that my natural DIY shampoos/conditioners are keeping it at bay.)

Some people are allergic to eggs, & some people develop allergies later in life that they didn't have earlier, so of course you want to do a patch test first. Perhaps coconut milk would work, if the egg yolk didn't.

Thayer's does make alcohol-free witch hazel, if the alcohol's an issue.

Something else that might work instead of, or in addition to, the Egg & Witch Hazel Shampoo, would be brewing tea from a beneficial herb, cooling it, pouring it in a spray bottle, & spraying it. (I'm fond of my Hair Tea. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=151252&page=2 )

While I think my ideas are marvelous, my parents never would have gone for a homemade remedy like that. A lot depends on your dad's feelings about such things.)

You're blessed to still have him, and getting to care for him is a privilege (although I didn't feel that way about it at the time.)

With all my personal predilections for natural DIY solutions, while Mama was here, what I actually wound up doing was just taking her to the doctor & doing whatever he/she prescribed, because my parents & other relatives always trusted the doctors, so it was easier that way. If something didn't work, it wasn't my fault, because I was only following doctor's orders...

God bless you. You're not on Easy Street right now!
    Somebody give me a magic wand I can wave and make everybody content with his or her own hair! If that same magic wand could also end all hair discriminatory attitudes on the part of society in general... A magic wand would be so grand...

Length
    buzz/Hip/TBL+?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My aunt had psoriasis that would flare up on her arms (I donít know if she had it elsewhere) and used to swear by putting Vosene straight on it. Itís always stuck in my head that it must be the salycilic acid had an effect there.

(Suppressing symptoms ainít my thing but in your and your dadís situation I completely understand).

Big virtual hugs

Eta been thinking about this and looked up Vosene - Wikipedia says they changed the ingredients in the late Ď80s.
    ďThe Original formula contains salicylic acid, an anti-dandruff ingredient. However, this was not the active ingredient prior to the late 1980s. Before the change to Salicylic acid, the two active ingredients in Vosene were Coal Tar and Sulphusuccinated Undecylenic Monoalcoalamide. These chemicals were discovered to be carcinogenic, leading to their replacement with Salicylic acidĒ

So she would have been using the old formula.

Sorry for not being more helpful x
    Last edited by Tinyponies; December 7th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Salicylic acid = aspirin.

There is a product called Aspercream that I rubbed on my hands 30 years ago.

Cherries & other berries also contain salicylic acid. So you can kill the pain by eating a bowl of cherries. Or rub a cherry on you head...
    Somebody give me a magic wand I can wave and make everybody content with his or her own hair! If that same magic wand could also end all hair discriminatory attitudes on the part of society in general... A magic wand would be so grand...

Length
    buzz/Hip/TBL+?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post

There is a product called Aspercream that I rubbed on my hands 30 years ago.

Cherries & other berries also contain salicylic acid. So you can kill the pain by eating a bowl of cherries. Or rub a cherry on you head...
    Isnít it interesting. I use a slice of ginger root to suppress cold sore virus once every couple of years and just found out that that is high in salicylic acid too.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I have psoriasis (not on my scalp, thankfully). The only thing I can say is that no shampoo would be good for it. Psoriasis patches hate being dried out, so oily creams are the way to go. Obviously you can't just not wash your hair, so I think the most gentle sulfate-dree shampoos or even co-washes would help. I'm not a fan of steroid creams because of the rebound effect and how they affect the rest of the body in general, but my psoriasis isn't that severe. As long as I keep my patches well moisturized (aka not let them crack and bleed from dryness) I'm all fine and dandy. Not very pretty looking, but fine

I knew a woman on a Russian hair care forum who used tar shampoo during flare-ups on her scalp, so maybe give it a try?

ETA: I would strongly recommend not to use any acids on it. It's so easy to "injure" psoriasis patches and make them sore and bleeding, they should be treated like super dry and sensitive skin, not like an infection. And medicated anti-fungal shampoos would do nothing since psoriasis isn't fungal, it's an autoimmune condition. Now that I said it, maybe an autoimmune diet could be beneficial too.
    Last edited by Joules; December 8th, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    That's a common misconception, aspiring and salicylic acid are from the same family but different acids. The one in aspirin is called acetylsalicylic acid and even if the names are quite similar they are not the same. Salicylic acid is known for helping getting rid of excess oils and dead skin cells. Acetylsalicylic acid haven't been studied that much, but it's known to help to reduce inflammation when applied directly to skin. Both can help with the same conditions but have different effects.

Now, answering OP. My brother's had a mild case of psoriasis and he uses T-gel and a specific cream that contains vitamin D. It took a while but all his symptoms have gone away but if he stop using them everything comes back so I think consistency is the key here.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CuteCrow View Post
    Now, answering OP. My brother's had a mild case of psoriasis and he uses T-gel and a specific cream that contains vitamin D. It took a while but all his symptoms have gone away but if he stop using them everything comes back so I think consistency is the key here.
    Yes, this. Psoriasis is an autiommune condition and unfortunately can't be cured, unless your immune system just gets normal all of a sudden. So the only thing you can do is relieve the symptoms and make it more bearable. Besides, it's not a skin condition per se, so even if you manage to clear your skin psoriasis will still be there.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    buzz/Hip/TBL+?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yes, normally the first thing I would do is recommend dietary modification, but for a 95 year old you don’t want to get rocking the boat. Just manage symptoms.