Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silicones or no silicones and why?

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Silicones or no silicones and why?

I've tried both, and tbh I don't notice a huge difference. Like lapushka said, it's more about individual products.

The purpose of silicones is they coat your hair to give them slip and protect it some.
    The downside to this is they can build up and prevent things from getting into the shaft.
    Or rather, people think so anyway. I'm not sure how much research there is on this stuff.
    Additionally silicones do need harsher ingredients to break them down, so some people avoid silicones for that reason.

The past couple of weeks I've kinda been alternating to figure out what I like, and I don't see a huge difference. But my hair isn't picky at all, I've never noticed a huge difference with different products.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I'll also add to the bandwagon of it depends on the product. I think right now I'm not using any cones. But it's not because I never use them its because my hair is enjoying the cheap-O shampoo I currently have. Also my hair is only shoulder length right now. I know when it gets longer I will need conditioner and possibly cones. Or maybe not. Lol
    Who knows what I'm gonna do with my hair anymore...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurab View Post
    I've tried both, and tbh I don't notice a huge difference. Like lapushka said, it's more about individual products.

The purpose of silicones is they coat your hair to give them slip and protect it some.
    The downside to this is they can build up and prevent things from getting into the shaft.
    Or rather, people think so anyway. I'm not sure how much research there is on this stuff.
    Additionally silicones do need harsher ingredients to break them down, so some people avoid silicones for that reason.

The past couple of weeks I've kinda been alternating to figure out what I like, and I don't see a huge difference. But my hair isn't picky at all, I've never noticed a huge difference with different products.
    Yep I think we have the same type of hair, bothered/not bothered. LOL!

I've been on this forum quite some time, and tried just about everything there is to try (some things of course I haven't, I mean let's be honest here). But since I started looking at things product to product, and looking at the effect on my very own hair, it just was 100% better, and it was better for my peace of mind too. Because when you first get here, you tend to do what "most" people do. And the thing is, you really have to find what works for *your* hair, and that is such an individual thing. Nobody can tell you what is "right", you just have to find that out all on your own.

Same is with sulfate vs. sulfate-free, silicones vs. silicone-free.

For me for instance, I tend to avoid (if I can) silicones in my shampoo (because of my SD, seborrheic dermatitis). Now once won't kill me, but I don't have to wash with a silicone-laden shampoo every week for say 3/4 weeks, or I am going to get into trouble. I know that, because I went through the whole thing of experiencing it first hand.

I say just try and see what works, and if you clarify-wash at least once to twice a month, you will be just fine.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Bob/MBL/WL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I'm prefer no silicones. For some reason they make my already dry hair drier.

Length
    Bob/MBL/WL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I've been on this forum quite some time, and tried just about everything there is to try (some things of course I haven't, I mean let's be honest here).

Monistat?

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

It's silicones or no silicones with me. I prefer to have the silicones. Because, it gives my hair more slip and shine. To me, it also protects your hair against damage too. That's my opinion.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedBackson View Post
    Monistat?
    Hahaha; nope. Never tried that one!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/SL+/Class
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Personally, I love silicones. They make my wavy hair lie a lot smoother. Overall, my hair is softer and more manageable with them. I use a sulfate shampoo when I wash (my scalp is much happier with sulfates), so I don't really worry about build up that much.

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I've been avoiding sulfates and silicones because it's supposed to be better for curls (I'm not really sure why, maybe the silicone weighs them down?) I'm not sure if it made much of a difference, but I like the way my hair feels so I will continue for now.

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

love your braid pic Expecto!

katr - me too! - minus the sulphates - I still use them a few times a month.

ordered some leave in with peg-dimethicone to try though - it's water soluble so it might be a winning combo for my fine, easily breakable hair.
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals