Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silicones or no silicones and why?

Length
    22/31/45
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Silicones or no silicones and why?

Im curious to know if you prefer silicones or no silicones and why? Forgive me if there is already a thread on this, I cant search on the mobile site. I use both silicones and no silicones, depending on how I feel and how my hair feels. I have old bleach damage that I am growing out. When I had my natural hair I did not use silicones. Not sure if I will ever go back to entirely no silicones.

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Silicones or no silicones and why?

Well, I have the type of hair that does well on cones. I also have really fine hair strands, so the longer my hair gets the crazier the tangles get... Cones are a saviour for my tangly hair. But, for environmental reasons, I try to find cone-free options. I'm going to try Hair Food tonight!
    instagram

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I try to avoid them because they build up so fast on my natural hair. My old bleached hair loved them though.

I think now my hair is very low porosity so less is more!

Length
    HL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I love polymer-type silicones that aren't so keen on building up on themselves, for example amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone.

My virgin hair is okay both with and without silicones, as far as I know, but I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of person, so I might as well go for all the slip I can.
    Ósnjallr mađr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann viđ víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi friđ, ţótt hánum geirar gefi.
    TBL by Yule 2020 | Classic by Yule 2020 | No-trimming 2020 (first half)

Amateur scientist ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I'm a no cones kind of person. I use shampoo bars to clean my hair and I'm really not sure if those are strong enough to wash away cones.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019

APL-BSL-MBL-WST-HIP-CLSC
    My Recipe Blog

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I used to be cone free but since I moved to somewhere with hard water, my hair has done far better with cones. It's the only thing that keeps my hair from sticking to itself and tangling super bad. I also do ROO with it and I've had awesome results.

Length
    APL/WL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

No silicones, they build up on my scalp and make my roots look completely flat (and greasy)

Type
    2a/C/iii

Silicones are inferior to the body's natural conditioner (sebum). Being waxy, sebum facilitates the comb in pulling lint out of hair. I have not found a similar property in hair products with silicone.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles122 View Post
    Im curious to know if you prefer silicones or no silicones and why? Forgive me if there is already a thread on this, I cant search on the mobile site. I use both silicones and no silicones, depending on how I feel and how my hair feels. I have old bleach damage that I am growing out. When I had my natural hair I did not use silicones. Not sure if I will ever go back to entirely no silicones.
    Either or, with me. As long as the product detangles and moisturizes well, I am content. For instance the Garnier Fructis Hairfood mask (called treats in the US) is without silicones, but it detangles like a breeze and so I like that... a lot!

Let me tell you a quick story. When I first got here, I was "talked into" an aversion to silicones and even sulfates. You just didn't use them, period. Then I got off the sulfate-free and silicone-free bandwagon years later (partly due to a finicky scalp) and boy... it's really all in your head, you know, the difference. When you *well and truly* look at it.

I just started looking at it product by product. Not so much silicone to silicone-free. And that works *much* much better. One product needs the silicones, others do not. It is all about the "effect" on MY hair and if MY hair likes it or not. That's the *only* thing I go by.

And it really works! Really works really well.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    PX/HL/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I used to be cone free but since I moved to somewhere with hard water, my hair has done far better with cones. It's the only thing that keeps my hair from sticking to itself and tangling super bad. I also do ROO with it and I've had awesome results.
    Huh, I never thought about that. That explains a lot!!
    instagram