Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Silicones or no silicones and why?

Length
    SL+/37/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Silicones or no silicones and why?

The odd silicone application I can just about cope with, but they build up so fast it's just not worth it

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    I recently accidentally used a shampoo with amodimethicone in it for a couple of washes, and my hair got very dry and tangly which I’m not used to. My scalp had loads of flakes too. I’ve recently clarified it out (hopefully) but though it’s softer and a bit happier it feels stripped so now hoping to build moisture back into my hair.

OT but do you ever need to use a shampoo to reset/clarify, Tatsu? Do the natural oils you use build up at all?
    I haven't used shampoo even once since 2013 and I've never had any problem with build up.

The oils I use are mostly absorbed into my hair. During the winter I add some oil and salve every day to every other day. If I ever get any excess oil in my hair, it gets washed out with conditioner.

Home is where the heart is

Length
    buzz/Hip/TBL+?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I haven't used shampoo even once since 2013 and I've never had any problem with build up.

The oils I use are mostly absorbed into my hair. During the winter I add some oil and salve every day to every other day. If I ever get any excess oil in my hair, it gets washed out with conditioner.
    Thanks for your reply. Thatís very encouraging!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I've had okay results both with and without cones, but the conditioners I like best are very cone-y. I suspect that might not be the case if I were trying to enhance my curls, but I prefer to have my hair a little straighter. Never saw the point of cones in shampoo, though : p

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I like to use sulphate-free shampoo and I don't think it's strong enough to remove cones, and it may build up in my hair.
    When I stopped using silicones my hair became more wavy, but after 6 months it went back to having a looser wave like it used to have when I used a silicone conditioner.

​Growing until I turn 50...........

Length
    buzz/47/55
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I do not use silicones. In my experience, they tend to make my hair all straw-like; dry, stiff, sticky. The nice conditioning effects and slip only last for about 2 days for me, and then my hair suddenly gets bad. Iíve found a shampoo, a few conditioners, a few detangling products and a handful of finishing oils, all silicone free, that give me similar slip to silicones, but the effects last 3-5 days and do NOT have a weird turnaround where my hair reacts badly after a few days. So I just use those, thereís no reason for me to venture too far from the products I have now.
    Sulfate + Silicone Free ~ Fingercombing ~ Benign near-neglect
    Waist. Hip. Tailbone. Classic......Mid-Thigh...Knee?...Ankle???
    !..49..........55........ I can't even count that far!

Length
    MTL/67/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Love silicones. Could have not grown my specific type of hair if I did not use them. My favourites were Pantene stuff but I have to say Neutrogena Tipple moisture might have dethroned them.
    It is awesome.
    Nexxus humectress is another gem.

Length
    Buzz/Ear/Hip?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I only don't use them because the VO5 I use doesn't have them. It's been so long since I've used cones that I don't know how my hair would react.
    I'm just going to stick to what my know, because my hair seems to like it, and it's cheap.
    Buzzed ~ Pixie ~ Mid-ear Bob ~ (Bottom-of-ear!) ~ (Mouth!) ~ Chin ~ SL ~ APL ~ MBL? ~ WL?? ~ Hip???
    Mouth length by March 2020!? (Actually, maybe sooner than that!)

No Trim 2020 || Collarbone by January 2021