Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silicones or no silicones and why?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Silicones or no silicones and why?

No silicone because most need to be washed away by sulfates, which irritate my skin.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Cut back to BSL 10.21.2019 and the journey starts anew⋆

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post
    love your braid pic Expecto!

katr - me too! - minus the sulphates - I still use them a few times a month.

ordered some leave in with peg-dimethicone to try though - it's water soluble so it might be a winning combo for my fine, easily breakable hair.
    Ohh I didn't know you could get water soluble silicones, will have to look into that. My hair is fine and breakable too, and could do with a bit more slip so that might be the way to go

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Mostly none, but my cheap HG conditioner has PEG-dimethicone halfway down the ingredients list which is water-soluble; a protein conditioner I found in my price range also contains a couple of water-soluble silicones but that conditioner is harder to rinse out and is not my favourite. Generally I prefer to avoid them but if a conditioner otherwise looks good I don't mind if it contains a water-soluble cone.

Why? 1) Well I wanted to try cone-free and see if it made a difference - it did, my hair suddenly had texture, but it also tangled more easily. That took me a long time to admit to myself, and I was only really able to admit it once I'd tweaked my routine to become more moisturising so my hair was happier and less tangly anyway, which is when I realised it had been a bit easier with cones and a bit harder when I started cone-free.
    2) By then, most of my stash of conditioners were cone-free, and
    3) although I had sulphate-free shampoo able to remove cones at the time I just didn't want the hassle of having to remember to actually shampoo my lengths regularly anyway.
    4) Now, I have a very mild shampoo (dictated by my scalp) which I don't think would remove non-water-soluble cones. I do sometimes chelate to see if it makes any difference with our very hard water, but I like not having to worry about buildup
    5) I know for certain that the water-soluble cones have not made all that much of a difference in themselves. I feel I'm at about optimum moisturising for my hair as far as I can do, and the tweaks I have made after I started using the PEG-cone conditioner have each had just as much of an effect as finding that conditioner - I also have a couple of other cone-free products so far that surpass it for slip and ease of detangling. The ingredients in my cheap HG are mostly plant oils in the first half of the list so I kind of think the PEG-cone is somewhat incidental, just to give it a slight slip boost perhaps.

tl;dr: My default position is no, though I will compromise with a water-soluble silicone in conditioner if it otherwise sounds like it's worth trying
    Oh, and never in shampoo
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    pixie/waist/???
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair does much better without silicones. I used sulfates and silicones all the way up until this current phase of growing my hair, about four years ago. Sulfates would dry out my hair, and I couldn't get enough cones dumped on it afterwards to combat that and weigh my hair back down (despite being told "your hair is so healthy!" I'd keep reaching for the most "dry frizzy hair! heat damage! breakage! super intensive healing restoration!!!" conditioners in an attempt to get something heavy enough to make a difference, and I never found anything that worked for more than the first use). If I was lucky, I'd get a good hair day the day after the shower. If I was unlucky, my sebum already built up over the cones and I looked super oily, very stringy, and my hair felt really unpleasant. The worst of all was when my hair was very short, and on shower day it would be fluffy and dry and then the next day it would be slicked to my head.

Without silicones, and stretching washes, I feel like my sebum helps to actually moisturize my hair between washes. And when the sebum isn't building up on top of the cones, my oily hair feels very soft and sleek and nice and looks less stringy. Just perpetually wet.

So I guess for me it's kind of a positive feedback loop that enables me to live the life I wanted to become accustomed to. Ditching cones enables me to stretch washes, and stretching washes means I can ditch cones; my hair and scalp get to be not-washed like they want and I get to not spend time washing them like I want.

My hair prefers them but I can not use them and it will still be okay.

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

No silicones. My hair and scalp doesn't like silcones or sulfates.

Sulfates and cones would make my hair dry. My scalp dryer with rashes, pimples and itching.

Home is where the heart is

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I'm for silicones, but used wisely. I spent 8 years on the strictly cone-free routine and it wrecked my ends (I couldnt' get past waist with healthy ends). Silicones do protect the hair after all, I managed to get almost to tailbone with perfectly healthy ends with cones in my hair care. I do use them cautiously however, like, all my shampoos are cone-free as well as all of my hair masks, but my leave-in stuff must contain cones.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    buzz/Hip/TBL+?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I recently accidentally used a shampoo with amodimethicone in it for a couple of washes, and my hair got very dry and tangly which I’m not used to. My scalp had loads of flakes too. I’ve recently clarified it out (hopefully) but though it’s softer and a bit happier it feels stripped so now hoping to build moisture back into my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    No silicones. My hair and scalp doesn't like silcones or sulfates.

Sulfates and cones would make my hair dry. My scalp dryer with rashes, pimples and itching.
    OT but do you ever need to use a shampoo to reset/clarify, Tatsu? Do the natural oils you use build up at all?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

No cones, my Virgin hair gets statics and a weird greasy-but-dehydrated-underneath feeling very fast. Plus to me they always make dry detangling worse.
    My skin and scalp are also very sensitive to silicones, they gets usually quite bumby and irritated, overproducing sebum.

I recently bleached a huge chunk of hair. I don't mind getting some silicones on it (my favorite deposito dye has some simethicone) , as the hair is already compromised beyond repair.

I'm somewhere in between. I mostly use sulphate free shampoo and because of that I mostly use a silicone free conditioner and leave in conditioner. My ends really like this and they are very moisturized when I do this. However if I do want my hair super shiny I get the best result with sulphates and silicones (I just shouldn't do it every wash because my ends will dry out).