Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tangle problems and fairy knots

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Tangle problems and fairy knots

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_vc View Post
    I don’t really feel the need to comb my hair that often, because when it’s dry I get only a few tangles. Those are easy to comb out for me. The only problem I have is when I washed my hair.. I thought it was bad for your hair to comb it when it’s wet , don’t you experience hair loss when you comb your hair when it’s wet?
    Not really, so long as I'm gentle.
    As long as I get out all the big knots when it's dry I don't have serious problems when it's wet.
    I would never brush it when it's wet or use a finer toothed comb, but a wide toothed comb has never given me any problems.
    Sometimes my hair sheds a lot, but that's normal. I think the "don't brush when wet" thing is more about breakage rather than shedding.

But I also have fairly thick hair so I don't pay much attention to hair loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_vc View Post
    I tried this today and it seems to work! My hair tangled less when I did it but it’s just So heavy on my neck when I do this ��
    You'll get use to it lol! I've been doing it so long it feels weird to try it any other way.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

The fact that it's only tangling badly when it's wet and that it tangles from the ears up leads me to second the opinions of a couple others: that you are probably inadvertently tangling it when you are shampooing it. If I use any circular-type motions when I'm shampooing my hair, it wants to tangle. Instead, I kind of "rake" my fingers gently up and down in the direction that the hair most wants to lie. It's more like I'm pushing the shampoo down towards the scalp than actually moving the hair itself around. Very hard to explain these kinds of things in words, I'm afraid ; D But we may just be working with very different types of hair, as you seem to be having some success with inverting your head and that only makes mine *more* tangly.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hm, I wonder if any ingredients in your shampoo could be causing it? My first thought is maybe a slight protein overload, which can make it frustratingly tangly/dry/stiff. Also for me, anything with Shea butter too far up in the ingredients ALWAYS makes my hair sticky and unmanageable. Sometimes coconut oil too. With the right shampoo, no matter how wildly I scrub my scalp, my tangles always rinse right out with the suds. Maybe try a different formula?
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016