Thread: Natural hair lightening WITHOUT sun?

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Natural hair lightening WITHOUT sun?

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a thing to naturally lighten virgin hair (subtle change is what I want) without sun as it is winter now here in the north and no one wants to be drying their hair while freezing their butts. I know that lemon is said to be most effective but only in combination with sun. Is there a solution that does not require sun? Or is there a way you can substitute the sun, like heat or blow drying? I also heard about honey, chamomile tea and cinnamom. I don't feel like honey is good for my hair, I once tried it and it made my hair super stretchy and awful. I welcome any suggestion!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Natural hair lightening WITHOUT sun?

The thing to keep in mind is that there's no such thing as a 'natural' hair lightening method that works any differently than the unnatural ones. The methods that are going to work without sun are going to require hydrogen peroxide (how honey and cinnamon works). Chamomile doesn't lighten hair at all, it can just add very mild gold tones, given the appearance that it's lighter.

I'm stealing this from some other stuff I wrote so I don't have to retype it

Tl:dr- your options are pretty limited for non-chemical, non-sunlight ways of lightening hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Totally on the same page as Nightshade. Camomile does not lighten. I used camomile once, as a dried flower. I also once used camomile shampoo (the one by Garnier Ultra Doux aka the "blends" line) and it picked up on the yellow/gold tones I have in my hair (even though I do have an ash brown and when bleach/peroxide is used I go red, then yellow). Still. No lightening though.

And honey isn't exactly "natural", well it contains hydrogen peroxide, so you might as well use things like Sun-in, which will give you a subtle lightening shift without the hassle.

I would not use lemon unless you want to be drying your hair out for... no reason.

It also depends on the shade of your hair.

If you use Sun-in, like I did, on brown hair, you are going to turn brassy, it doesn't lighten enough to a proper gold tone, unless you want to be spritzing this infinitely.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Thank you for your answers. I am not very concerned with hair damage, as weird as it sounds. I just want to avoid chemical hair dyes due to ingredients like PPD and ammonia.

My natural hair color is very light brown so level around 6-7. I don't want anything radical, I'd be even fine with just a golden hue as my hair seems rather dull at the moment since it grows out copper hair dye.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    Thank you for your answers. I am not very concerned with hair damage, as weird as it sounds. I just want to avoid chemical hair dyes due to ingredients like PPD and ammonia.

My natural hair color is very light brown so level around 6-7. I don't want anything radical, I'd be even fine with just a golden hue as my hair seems rather dull at the moment since it grows out copper hair dye.
    If you are growing out dye, I would leave it alone. Your roots are all virgin now and that can be rough especially the first few inches. I would not mess with the hair in the growing out phase, but that's me. It would be like starting over from 0!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If you are growing out dye, I would leave it alone. Your roots are all virgin now and that can be rough especially the first few inches. I would not mess with the hair in the growing out phase, but that's me. It would be like starting over from 0!
    Yeah, I am just concerned with the greys that sometimes peak through (they are like in the lower layers, which is very considerate of them)...so I am considering whether I should leave it alone and maybe lighten it to blend the silver a bit or just use brown henna or something.