Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Study of 50,000 women links permanent hair dye chemical straightener to breast cancer

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Study of 50,000 women links permanent hair dye chemical straightener to breast ca

I stopped using chemicals, dyes and bleach as well. After seeing these studies it will really make me stay away from all of it...also, how damaging it is. Hopefully they continue to research this!

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Study of 50,000 women links permanent hair dye chemical straightener to breast ca

So glad I quit dying my hair and getting relaxers. Unfortunately, I can't quit being black so I guess I'm screwed. That was stressful to read, I'm gonna go smoke a couple cigarettes.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    Pixie/14/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Interesting, but yeah lumping all eyes and chemicals together is not helpful. The study helps place blame back on women (especially black women) for getting cancer, just for conforming to impossible beauty standards. We knew already formaldehyde straighteners were carcinogenic but there has been little in the way of regulation; and it's impossible for some to avoid it, especially if their livelihood depends on conforming to a "dress code" that involves straight long hair. I feel lucky to have a choice, but sad that we cannot seem to get away from literally toxic beauty. Society would rather women dead than ugly or old... dramatic? Maybe :-P one thing I love about this forum is that it promotes feeling beautiful in natural ways but does not shame (I hope!) those who dye/straighten/blowdry/whatnot. Despite my avoidance of all these things (mainly due to laziness and cheapiness) I try to be aware of any moral superiority this lifestyle choice gives me.
    ...anyways we need more research, safer alternatives to the most dangerous chemicals, and more natural beauty role models!

Length
    28"/34"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    So glad I quit dying my hair and getting relaxers. Unfortunately, I can't quit being black so I guess I'm screwed. That was stressful to read, I'm gonna go smoke a couple cigarettes.
    *snort* This made me choke on my food

Anyways, as was drilled into my head in Statistics class: Correlation is not causation! When things like this are correlated (and this study is showing correlation), it's often due to other factors the study didn't take into account, like the economic and lifestyle choices people who dye their hair make that increase their cancer risk. For example, maybe women who dye tend to be smokers, or most people who use hair dye live near nuclear testing sites, and it's this other unseen factor actually causing the results (I'm aware that these examples are ridiculous ). I looked into some other sources, and there have been upwards of 17 studies done on hair dye and cancer and this is the first that has come up with a result like this.

Here's a cancer council talking about all the studies before this newest one: https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resource...air-dyes-myth/

And a quote I pulled from another article about this latest one:

"The study findings should be understood in context, says Dr. Otis Brawley, a medical oncologist with Johns Hopkins University. The actual risk found for use of these hair treatments is quite low, he adds, especially compared with other known carcinogens like tobacco or radiation. "This is a very weak signal that these things might be causing cancer in the population," he says.

Much more research is needed, he says, to know for sure how risky these products are. For example, long-term clinical trials with a control group and placebo would be more definitive, but this type of study "would be difficult if not impossible to do."

So it doesn't sound like there's much to worry about, especially considering the serious risks other ordinary stuff like engine exhaust and processed meat already pose .
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I looove your sense of humor!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hmm. Was vacillating between orthodox dyes and henna, after another failed attempt to just let it go grey. Think I'll do the light henndigo with some amla and cassia.

I know the chances are low, but still...also I like henna, it makes me feel as if I'm caring for myself somehow, mad as it sounds.

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I thank God I only use permanent hair dye 3 or 4 times a year, and a chemical straightener once or twice a year.