Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International buyers: customs thresholds and clearance fees

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: International buyers: customs thresholds and clearance fees

dyna I've read that the threshold for the US is $2000 so I would doubt anyone has managed to hit that with hairtoys!

Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
    Currently the limit is 22 euros but the limit will be removed/reduced to 0 after next year.
    There are plans to remove ours too, but I don't know when exactly.

Currently the UK limit is £15 for 20% import VAT, or £35 if it's a gift, and £135 for customs duty. The handling charge (which is the part I object to) is £8. The limit technically includes postage, but in reality doesn't, however if it's above the limit then fees are calculated on the entire amount.
    [I hate to think what will happen if there's no limit. £8 to pay fees on a £10 purchase? No thank you!]
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Update to the UK situation!

No £15 threshold, now everything under the £135 customs duty threshold is subject to import VAT.

Etsy collects the VAT so there are no extra charges when the items arrives (if under £135).

eBay has had its Global Shipping Programme for a while but the charges seemed excessive for items under the £15 threshold, so I don't know if that's still the case. I'm not sure what the Amazon situation is, it was similar to eBay's GSP before. Etsy literally just adds the VAT. But online marketplaces - including Wish and AliExpress - are supposed to have registered to collect and pay VAT, so again no handling charges (under £135).

For swap board purposes, it appears relevant to note that the gift allowance for items sent between private individuals of £39 still stands.

If non-UK sellers not on online marketplaces don't register to collect and pay UK VAT, I don't know what the situation is. Previously, it sounded like packages would be dealt with in the usual manner - including handling charges - but the most recent info doesn't appear to leave room for that option.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...1-january-2021

Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.

Non-business sales
    Sales made by persons who are not in business are outside the scope of these measures. This includes gifts and consignments sent from consumer to consumer.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Good news about the sad news (changes in custom/import rules in The Netherlands/EU)...

The date 1 jan 2021 has been moved to 1 july 2021.
    All packages from outside this country (outside the EU, sadly, as of now, including the UK) will have 21% taxes and administration/importcosts slapped on...the threshold of 22 euros (Low Value Consignment Relief ) is abolished (also for gifts I think)
    Even if you only have to pay 2 euros in taxes over the value, you always get 15-17 euros importcosts (administrationcosts).

Within the EU, you pay 21% taxes, but no importcosts.
    Shops will likely calculate the tax % in the price so you pay it directly to the shop (who have some sort of programm for it I-OSS), instead of customs dealing with it. Only for values under 150 euro!
    Above 150 euros value it will go through and has to be handled by customs.

I have never been charged for packages from the Ukraine though, I think that's because the EU have a tradingdeal with them?

Shops like AliExpress have already bought storagefacilities in EU countries to avoid extra charges, or so I heard.

So, at least we have an extended period to get more hairtoys …

I am filling in the gaps in my hairtoycollection now I can still get them for a reasonable price.
    (Especially Etsy sellers, as shipping from the USA is 14 dollars, with the new rules it will be way too expensive if you add all the extra charges)
    Nearly all my fav crafters are in the USA.

LillaRose shipping is only 4 dollars, so that makes a liiitlle difference, but still much more expensive than it is now.
    Flexi needs to get an EU consultant/stylist ;-)

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Btw I don't think shipping is added to the value you have to pay taxes over?
    Or is it? (right now only the item value counts)

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi