Thread: December 2019: Basketweave Braid

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: December 2019: Basketweave Braid

Thanks y'all

giraff, that's looking good.

Elodea, That might work. It also might need many more braids. Or stopping the weave a bit higher up so I am not taking sections closer in than the previous new section..
    Last edited by HaMalka; December 7th, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

giraff, you did an amazing job!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

HaMalka and lapushka thank you both!

I'm very open to ideas on how to include it in an updo, by the way. I have shoulder length hair

Quote Originally Posted by HaMalka View Post
    I like it better before the weave gets scrunched at the ends.
    I do, too. I wonder if you could tie off the ends with those little clear elastics-- you'd have to fasten two sections together to keep it from unweaving, I think-- and then just leave it loose?

No way could I ever do this on myself, either, although I'd love to... it's so pretty. A five-strand braid is my limit-- once I run out of notches between my fingers to stick sections in, I can't do any more. There's no way I could do what she does, which is just let some sections go to combine and then be able to easily re-separate them. It would be hard enough to keep them separated/from tangling together even if I had a finger between each.

And unweaving at the end... oh, no. I have a hard enough time with multi-strand, and 3-strand French, braids in getting the tangles out as I unbraid.

Quote Originally Posted by giraff View Post

I'm very open to ideas on how to include it in an updo, by the way. I have shoulder length hair
    I think any kind of updo would hide it, unless it was a very low like a Gibson tuck, or unless you started it right at the hairline. But with your length of hair, you could basketweave it, ponytail the rest, and tuck the ponytail under?

Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I think any kind of updo would hide it, unless it was a very low like a Gibson tuck, or unless you started it right at the hairline. But with your length of hair, you could basketweave it, ponytail the rest, and tuck the ponytail under?
    I'll try that next time! I tried to do tiny braids from the front like she did it, but it didn't really look great on me. Thank you for replying

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I do, too. I wonder if you could tie off the ends with those little clear elastics-- you'd have to fasten two sections together to keep it from unweaving, I think-- and then just leave it loose?
    Thank you for the suggestion. My main braid model dislikes having her hair loose if she is going to be doing anything, but that could be an option if I got a different model to sit still for me. It would definitely not be an option if I tried this braid on my own hair.

Quote Originally Posted by giraff View Post

googling basket weave braid gives a variety of looks. For example doing the basket weave starting at the hairline as a headband could work if your hair is long enough to cross over your head and then pinning up your ends as you usually would.

arc691 did this braid as well. If you look the pictures she takes the ends of the basket weave and buns some of them. Maybe that would work at your length if you did a couple of buns?
    http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com...hairstyle.html

I can't tell how long the models hair is, but this tutorial might be useful to you though you might have a shorter end braid.
    https://www.princesshairstyles.com/2...hairstyle.html

I can't really recall what worked at shoulder length other than teeny tiny sections.

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2a/M/iii

giraff - it looks so good! Wow

HaMalka - that looks awesome too!!
    🎵 ~APL - BSL - WL - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - And Beyond~ 🎵
    no dyes,no henna and no heat :growing since 2017. 6" circumference pony tail

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It just all kind of melted into itself. *sigh*

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Thanks for all the suggestions to keep it from scrunching. What I went with this time was putting each strand into a french braid after finishing the basket weave. This keeps them in place and separate though I still need some practice at it. Sorry for the poor quality of this photo.