Thread: Hello, I'm new 😊

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    21/23/27
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Hello, I'm new 😊

Hello everyone! For the past 15 years I have been trying to grow my hair down to my waist, and it has been a challenge. My hair is fine, and on the thin side of ii (2.5 inches). When I was 12-13, I had thicker, healthy hair that I had no problem growing down to my waist. Once I hit later teens, It seemed to thin out a bit, and I coloured it twice, first time was a disaster, second time to fix it, then grew the colour out pretty quick by keeping shoulder length hair. Since then, I got into heat styling and washing my hair everyday with harsh shampoo. My hair was breaking off like crazy, and I didn't realize why (I feel pretty dumb about that haha). After I figured it out, I started washing only once a week, which was a huge adjustment for my oily hair, but it is so much better off now. I have not used heat in 2 years, and for the last year I have mainly been trying to increase quality of my hair by trimming twice a year. I just started putting argan oil mainly on the bottom half. My hair is in good condition now, so I am hoping to achieve waist length hopefully by the end of next year!

Length
    APL/hip/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hello, I'm new 😊

I bet you can! I wash once a week as well, but I think it is more difficult for you because you have fine hair. I use homemade dry shampoo once or twice a week. I also only trim once or twice a year. It does help. I started at around APL several years ago, like 8? (I can't see my join date right now.) I'm now about an inch and a half from tailbone. It's taken this long because I have taken some big trims over the years. You are going to be able to do buns at waist that I couldn't do until past hip and that is a nice thing.

Length
    21/23/27
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It is pretty hard to wash once a week, i do a rinse or two between washes with just water, and that helps move the oils around a bit. I am excited to be able to do nice buns and use hair sticks!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Hello welcome

Length
    0"/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Welcome! How long is your hair now?
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Length
    21/23/27
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thank you! About an inch above bra strap. Will add a photo when I figure this out.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome here and happy growing!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lnvmm View Post
    Since then, I got into heat styling and washing my hair everyday with harsh shampoo. My hair was breaking off like crazy, and I didn't realize why (I feel pretty dumb about that haha). After I figured it out, I started washing only once a week, which was a huge adjustment for my oily hair, but it is so much better off now. I have not used heat in 2 years, and for the last year I have mainly been trying to increase quality of my hair by trimming twice a year. I just started putting argan oil mainly on the bottom half. My hair is in good condition now, so I am hoping to achieve waist length hopefully by the end of next year!
    I think it was the heat that did it though, and the frequent manipulation, but heat is a lot, a *lot* more damaging. Shampooing generally doesn't hurt your hair, but if the heat already makes it brittle and break off, manipulation every day is not the best either.

Welcome to the forum.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

Home is where the heart is

Length
    ChL/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Welcome! The key to washing less frequently for me is to make sure that I wash my hair properly when I do, by massaging the shampoo well on the scalp, and to find nice styles for when your hair starts to get greasy. I am also aiming for waist length, but I think my hair is sliightly shorter than yours. Good luck on the growing!