Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I prolong my hair trims?

Length
    SL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How can I prolong my hair trims?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgaris View Post
    How do you do deep conditioning, Dark40? I put some oil to my lengths one night before or several hours before I wash my hair. I understand some people count that deep conditioning. I also add conditioner on oil and let it sit about 20 min before washing. And after wash I use hair mask.

Yes, I'm in that thread. I usually apply oil night before wash and after wash but not every day. I will try that! I think I have a fine/medium hair because I can't use much oil without hair looking greasy. I have a spray leave-in which includes aloe vera and glycerin. Can I spray that and then oil my length?
    Yes, I would say adding oil to your conditioner is a way of deep conditioning. But if you really want to keep your hair moisturized the way I deep condition my hair is using a heavy/thicker conditioner for 20 or 30 minutes after shampooing.

If you do get a trim ask for a blunt cut with thick ends, no layers. Hair dressers like to feather the ends to give the hair more texture. If you don't feather the ends it will happen naturally and you will be able to go longer between trims!

Also wearing you hair up can help to prolong hair trims.

Quote Originally Posted by Arciela View Post
    This is what I did as well Up it goes and I figure the ends just don't matter (as long as they're healthy) since its always up. I am so tired of this peacock twist and wish I was TBL so I can do my LWB again..
    If you are bored than there are a billion other hairstyles that you can do with your hair length! You just have to look outside the LHC to find them sometimes. And they might not be as protective as the hairstyles here, but enjoying your hair as it is now is also important:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z8ecgYVguk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUIu0VrLmE (maybe don't do the first hairstyle with the teasing)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMXrjsy2d7s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGE2A_bu7E

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    No that's "typical" hair dresser talk. Less is more!

That sounds like a good hair dresser though if they only take that little amount. Maybe chance it?
    That's where I was planning to get my next trim. If they really have a service that cuts only ~2 cm that sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I would say trim it for now, since you have something specific that you want a certain look for, and after that keep it up and forgo trims for a while.
    In this case my specific look means healthy looking and even hemline. My straight hair starts to look untidy very easily when it's not trimmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    It differs between different people, some people can go many months without a trim and others are better off trimming more frequently.

I have half an inch trimmed every 3 months. Itís barely noticeable in terms of length lost, but it keeps my hemline looking better. My hair isnít thick enough to let it taper much at the ends without it looking terrible.
    I think I'm one of those people who need to trim more frequently. But if I cut half an inch (1 cm) every 3 months that would mean I would lost 4 cm (2 inch) per year. My hair grows approximately 12 cm/6 inch in a year. So I would lose 1/3 of my growth which sounds pretty big number to me. However I am willing to sacrifice 2 cm/1 inch in a year but I'm not sure is it enough for my hair. All I know I don't want to go to a hair dresser every 3 months (money, laziness etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Arciela View Post
    This is what I did as well Up it goes and I figure the ends just don't matter (as long as they're healthy) since its always up. I am so tired of this peacock twist and wish I was TBL so I can do my LWB again..
    Do you mean even though the ends can look untidy/uneven your hair can still be healthy? What does make hair unhealthy? Is it when it's dyed, flat ironed, blow dried, roughly handled when wet etc.? And if you don't do those things and take a good care of your hair (protective styling, hair treatments etc.) you can call it healthy?
    Last edited by Vulgaris; December 3rd, 2019 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Yes, I would say adding oil to your conditioner is a way of deep conditioning. But if you really want to keep your hair moisturized the way I deep condition my hair is using a heavy/thicker conditioner for 20 or 30 minutes after shampooing.
    My heavy conditioner is hair mask. I guess that will do?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Great input from everybody. Can I ask you what kind of scissors you use, how old they are and how you clean them?
    The healthiest cut is made keeping the blades strictly perpendicular to the hair (90 degrees).
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLou View Post
    If you do get a trim ask for a blunt cut with thick ends, no layers. Hair dressers like to feather the ends to give the hair more texture. If you don't feather the ends it will happen naturally and you will be able to go longer between trims!

Also wearing you hair up can help to prolong hair trims.
    That's what I'll ask. I have very very small layers and I'm thinking to grow them out. I have a new hair salon nearby and they offer a cut service for small trims (it says they cut approximately 2 cm/ 1 inch). I think that would good cut for me. I like to keep my hemline blunt so I guess that means I need to trim once in a while.

I'm still learning to do bun with a hair stick so I need to put it up with a phone cord hair ties if I want it to hold. But if that's better than nothing I guess I could do buns more often. I wear my hair with braid/braids but before that I wore it down or in a ponytail so I think braids are improvement.
    Last edited by Vulgaris; December 3rd, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Great input from everybody. Can I ask you what kind of scissors you use, how old they are and how you clean them?
    The healthiest cut is made keeping the blades strictly perpendicular to the hair (90 degrees).
    I never cut my hair myself, I always go to hair dresser. Although I am seriously considering to trim myself when hair gets longer and it will be easier to do it by myself.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My bad, I didn't read all the posts !
    Vulgaris, I do really recommend self-trims, after a while it's actually fun
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...