Thread: Making Changes

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Making Changes

For the past five or so years I have been a die hard henna head using either indigo or recently semi-permanent dye to cover the henna orange. I love what henna does for my hair! The last time I used indigo I had a horrible headache then got very frustrated with indigo rub off so went back to Adore then found DNA Essence. Both cover the henna orange nicely but I noticed a bit more hair shed with the DNA Essence. Standing in the shower watching the colour run off, I decided enough is enough!

I'm very concerned (pretty much panic mode) about the hair shed so decided to make a few changes. I'll be using mainly cassia rather than henna and found Adore in clear for an extra boost if needed. I'm debating using a very light henna gloss occasionally but perhaps it's best to just eliminate henna entirely. I won't use DNA Essence again! I bought a microfiber towel that really helps tame any frizzing and I'm using aloe vera gel daily until the shedding lessens. The downside of course is this will force me to embrace my greys and I'll have line as the henna grows out BUT the most important thing for me is a healthy scalp and hair.

I also reassessed the dietary supplements I was taking as well as diet. Three can cause hair loss: selenium, zinc and Vitamin A. I suspect selenium since I was eating Brazil nuts almost daily and taking a hair supplement with selenium in it. I eliminated the nuts and the hair supplement for good measure.

Any other henna heads who have experienced hair shed? How did you deal with it?
    SL-->APL-->BSL-->MBL-->WL-->HL-->BCL-->TBL-->CL--->
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Making Changes

Adore, first of all, isn't a bad brand at all. I think if you could stick with that... Doesn't it cover the grays?

The last thing I would do is go between chemical & cassia indefinitely. I would stick to one thing (Adore maybe?) until it has all grown out. And you can do that just fine. I didn't have good experiences (to say the least) switching between henna and chemical dye, but YMMV.

I never experienced shedding with henna but nonetheless it wasn't the right thing for me (dry, brittle hair just as it felt when it was bleached to death). My hair just can't take it.

I'm glad I'm rid of all dyes now, couldn't be happier with that decision. And there is no upkeep whatsoever, the freedom of that is amazing!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Good point on the chemical and cassia. I really do like Adore just not the colour coming off in the shower. At some point, I will likely start reacting to it like the indigo. I'm leaning towards no dyes just cassia for conditioning.
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Adore really doesn't stick to non bleached hair, I was using it between henna treatments to cover my roots and it only lasted 2 washes.
    I suggest stopping the henna and just try cassia, see if it gives you the conditioning you want.

What color is your natural hair? Will it be hard to grow the henna out?
    I couldn't do it, my hair is too ashy and light, I cut it all off and started from scratch. I'm all blond again but I do miss my henna.

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Adore really doesn't stick to non bleached hair, I was using it between henna treatments to cover my roots and it only lasted 2 washes.
    I suggest stopping the henna and just try cassia, see if it gives you the conditioning you want.

What color is your natural hair? Will it be hard to grow the henna out?
    I couldn't do it, my hair is too ashy and light, I cut it all off and started from scratch. I'm all blond again but I do miss my henna.
    My natural hair is very dark brownish black with golden highlights. Now, it would be more of salt & pepper but I have numerous full head henna applications so only my roots come in grey. I'm thinking the cassia might give back some of those golden highlights. My hair is now long enough to sit on so growing out the henna is going to be tedious!
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Haven't experienced a major shed in 20+ years of henna use, sorry ) : I hope you find a routine that agrees with your hair soon!