Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Quote Originally Posted by Inazina View Post
    Oh, it's absolutely terrible what happened to you. I had my hair severely matted when I was 14 or so after a horrendous perm and I remember both my parents worked on untangling it for a couple of hours using leave-in conditioner and oils. I'm sorry I can't remember any of the products, just that you need a lot of patience and it's quite traumatic. I was left with half the hair I started with as lots of it broke in the process, but it was worth it and it grew back. Good luck!
    Thank you, I'm glad to hear your hair grew back

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all ok. It has been a while since my last post, and I thought I would give an update on what happened with my hair in case anyone was wondering!

I've cut the whole lot off - it was far too toxic and damaged to even attempt to detangle - it was better to get it off quickly with minimal exposure.

We started with the largest matt on the back of my head, it was really difficult to cut through but we managed in the end. It brought me out in a large rash on the back of my neck and shoulders. I recovered from that although it hasn't completely faded, we waited weeks in between each cut as it made me sick every time so the progress was very slow.

Next, we cut off the matted lumps at the top of my head, there were three in total. They were very easy to cut and didn't make me feel ill. I was left with a large matt going across pretty much the whole of the top of my head after that - it was very thick and flat and I felt ridiculous We thought this last part would be really easy to cut but it turned out to be the most difficult. We started on the left side and we were chopping bits off at a time without wearing masks and pulling out the hair underneath - this turned out to be a mistake as both my partner and I were greeted with the smell of the mould from the old house. My partner got an ear infection and I felt very sick.

We left the remaining matt of the right side of my head for a while as I was scared for us to go through potential illness again. Two days ago we cut the rest of the matt off. We decided it would be better to chop it as quickly as possible with minimal exposure - so we cut it all off in one go. It was better for both of our health as both of us didn't get affected as much. When it came off it looked like half a coconut shell or a bicycle helmet, it was really thick and matted. I felt like half my skull had come off!

My hair on the left side is longer, it comes to below my ear. The hair on the right side is extremely short, barely half a centimetre. It's really thin and sparse too as I lost practically all the layers. The top of my head is short and spiky and it doesn't suit me. I've got a few long pieces at the front which frame my face so that's better than none for me. Some of the bits of hair we pulled out fell apart like dust, plus there was lint in there too.

I'm really glad all those toxic matted lumps have now gone, and my hair can finally grow and get healthy again. It doesn't look great at the moment, but far better than it did - plus I feel really well without that on my head.

So that's my update, I'm sure it will grow really quickly as the weeks go on, I'm very happy I no longer have matted hair

I’m so glad you cut it and got rid of all that nasty stuff! It will get better and better from here on in.

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I’m so glad you cut it and got rid of all that nasty stuff! It will get better and better from here on in.
    Thank you! Yes I'm really happy too - I feel so well health wise compared to how I felt before and am really looking forward to watching it grow and trying new styles along the way

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Glad its sorted now you can look forward to new healthy growth,yes i was wondering what had happened after as i remember your post and understood your dilemma having living in a mouldy damp house(still am) for now...you must feel so much better for having done this no more mould lingering,best of luck on your growth journey!

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Garnetgem View Post
    Glad its sorted now you can look forward to new healthy growth,yes i was wondering what had happened after as i remember your post and understood your dilemma having living in a mouldy damp house(still am) for now...you must feel so much better for having done this no more mould lingering,best of luck on your growth journey!
    Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear you are still living in a mouldy damp house, I really hope you can be free of it soon

Just read the whole thread.

I'm glad you're out of the house and recovering.

I've been in a mold infested house before, and the landlady had used mold paint before I moved in with my son. The mold came back and she would just use the mold paint again if I paid for it. I couldn't afford it and didn't think I should have to pay for it myself. The mold got worse and the Council moved me into one of their houses (I was on the wait list already) and deemed the house not livable; so they wouldn't pay towards rent if someone else wanted to move in through their rent scheme.

My sons asthma took a while to get back on track after we moved out.

Anywhoo...

Your new cut (and so glad you finally decided to cut off all that damage - best decision seriously) sounds like some kind of hybrid half shaved Chelsea punk haircut thang. I definitely think you can make it work to your advantage as it grows. Hair doesn't have to be symmetrical at all. I'm sure you'll make it work either way.

Good lucksie!

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JotPurpleIris View Post
    Just read the whole thread.

I'm glad you're out of the house and recovering.

I've been in a mold infested house before, and the landlady had used mold paint before I moved in with my son. The mold came back and she would just use the mold paint again if I paid for it. I couldn't afford it and didn't think I should have to pay for it myself. The mold got worse and the Council moved me into one of their houses (I was on the wait list already) and deemed the house not livable; so they wouldn't pay towards rent if someone else wanted to move in through their rent scheme.

My sons asthma took a while to get back on track after we moved out.

Anywhoo...

Your new cut (and so glad you finally decided to cut off all that damage - best decision seriously) sounds like some kind of hybrid half shaved Chelsea punk haircut thang. I definitely think you can make it work to your advantage as it grows. Hair doesn't have to be symmetrical at all. I'm sure you'll make it work either way.

Good lucksie!
    Thank you, I'm glad you were able to get away from your mouldy house too - it's terrible what it can do to health

Hybrid half shaved Chelsea punk haircut is a very accurate way to describe my hair lol :-D

I'm not happy with it but I am really happy that I've got rid of the toxic stuff - just can't wait for it to grow, I know I'm being impatient as it's only been 2 weeks tomorrow! I know it sounds a bit crazy for people who haven't gone through it themselves, but since we cut the rest of the toxic matts off the stench of it has been pouring out of my head and it's affected both my partner's health and mine - I've come out in a huge rash covering the entire of my back and my partner's ear infection has returned, plus it used to cause him back pain at the old house to the point he couldn't move and that's come back too, just hope it improves for both of us soon, I can literally smell it as it comes out my head

It's worn off a little since last week though which is good, can't wait to be free of it altogether

Hi there,

What a sad history.
    Good luck figuring things out.

Cheers

Barbara

After reading your story I was just about to recommend a Chelsea cut. I'm so glad you finally got all the nastiness out of your head, but I think you'll benefit even more if you just buzz cut what's left around for a fresh start. I also think your scalp would thank being able to breath for a while and you could focus on your skin health. You could always wear soft satin scarves covering the buzzed parts while it grows.
    I also deeply encourage you not to leave those health conditions you mentioned in your last post unchecked. Even if it's just with a pharmacist
    Buzz~NL~SL~...~Classic?