Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it
    I'm sorry I haven't updated for a while. Right now we are trying the olive oil as I speak - my partner is working it into my hair and it's coming out a lot easier than anything else we've tried so far. I'm not getting my hopes up though - we've not been detangling for long, maybe around half an hour - but it feels like it has so much more slip to it and the ends are coming out. There is a very long way to go and maybe we will have to cut it in the end. I'll keep you all updated on what the end result turns out like - it will just take a lot of time and patience if I want to try and get it all detangled. There's an awful lot of shedding going on here since we've been using the olive oil - hope I have some hair left at the end haha

Thanks everyone for your help and support

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Just joined, severely matted hair due to living in a mould infested house

Hi everyone,

Just posting with an update and could use some advice

It's not going well - as my hair was so matted the smell and nastiness of the mould seems to have gotten trapped inside the mats, washing it only helps a little bit - but when any of it is separated it makes me so ill.

My partner has only managed to get such tiny amounts out at a time and my body cannot handle it anymore. I'm really hypersensitive to it thanks to the mould poisoning and it makes me ill even when we're not trying to separate it.

So, as much as it sucks, I think I'm going to have to cut it all off. I never wanted really short hair but I will be glad to get rid of the toxic mess, it's not healthy for me or my scalp at all.

I wondered, do any of you have any tips on how I should approach the cutting? I don't want it extremely short ideally, but I am prepared for that. It's all matted up in balls right on top of my head so I don't think it'll be very long. Is there any approach to cutting you may be able to recommend that wouldn't look too much of a mess? I've got some proper hair scissors.

I am scared to cut it but I don't think it's worth the prolonged illness in my case

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKmew View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just posting with an update and could use some advice

It's not going well - as my hair was so matted the smell and nastiness of the mould seems to have gotten trapped inside the mats, washing it only helps a little bit - but when any of it is separated it makes me so ill.

My partner has only managed to get such tiny amounts out at a time and my body cannot handle it anymore. I'm really hypersensitive to it thanks to the mould poisoning and it makes me ill even when we're not trying to separate it.

So, as much as it sucks, I think I'm going to have to cut it all off. I never wanted really short hair but I will be glad to get rid of the toxic mess, it's not healthy for me or my scalp at all.

I wondered, do any of you have any tips on how I should approach the cutting? I don't want it extremely short ideally, but I am prepared for that. It's all matted up in balls right on top of my head so I don't think it'll be very long. Is there any approach to cutting you may be able to recommend that wouldn't look too much of a mess? I've got some proper hair scissors.

I am scared to cut it but I don't think it's worth the prolonged illness in my case
    I'm once again sorry about this whole thing, but I'm glad your prioritizing your health.

How high up do the mats go?

I've never tried cutting my own hair, but I'd be tempted to just cut each mat out as high up as you can stand and then even it out based on what the shortest piece ends up being. This might not have to be all the way to the top of your head, you might be able to detangle some more easily once you cut off the bulk of it. You may need to go to a hair stylist eventually, but I'd just try it yourself to start. Just start midway up the mats and keep trimming until they're gone.

The good news is this'll be a fresh start. You can get rid of the mats that represent that awful apartment and the way it damaged your health. You're on a new chapter of your life, and it sounds like you've got a great partner who will be able to support you through it. I think it'll be a relief to have them out of your hair, quite literally.

I'm just going to go through shorter lengths and give pros of each one, because honestly there's something fun and something to love about hair at all lengths:
    Shaved head: It's just a cool look, so daring, definately makes a statement. It shows off a woman's face beautifully, and you actually get to see what your head looks like
    Pixie cut: Some similar benefits to the shaved head but not so extreme. It's cute and fun and modern
    Mouth length: I loved this length because I felt like a 1920's parisian woman, it's so chic
    Chin length: Such a cute style, I kept mine chin length for years. I think it's flattering on all women, and it's not super hard to maintain
    Shoulder lenght: It's where I"m at now. It's long enough that it doesn't feel like short hair to me, and I can braid it and stuff. It's nice.

I'd guess you'll end up at one of those lengths, and I'm sure you'll rock it. Plus you can know for sure that the new growth will be healthy and in good condition.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Do you find lint? My experience is that mats are always held together by lint. See my article https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=151460

There is usually mold/bacteria growing in mats. The mold causes the bad odor, but I don't think it is causing the matting (at least in my experience in a dry climate).

Removing mats that run up to the scalp is difficult (I had those). If you are going to cut, I suggest removing only enough length to enable you to comb out the mats above that.

Acidity will kill mold. Does vinegar help (at least temporarily until you get the mats out)?
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    10/18/tb
    Type
    1a/F/i

Perhaps tons of coconut oil and patience would help to untangle the matted hair. I understand that coconut has antibacterial properties. Good Luck.

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurab View Post
    I'm once again sorry about this whole thing, but I'm glad your prioritizing your health.

How high up do the mats go?

I've never tried cutting my own hair, but I'd be tempted to just cut each mat out as high up as you can stand and then even it out based on what the shortest piece ends up being. This might not have to be all the way to the top of your head, you might be able to detangle some more easily once you cut off the bulk of it. You may need to go to a hair stylist eventually, but I'd just try it yourself to start. Just start midway up the mats and keep trimming until they're gone.

The good news is this'll be a fresh start. You can get rid of the mats that represent that awful apartment and the way it damaged your health. You're on a new chapter of your life, and it sounds like you've got a great partner who will be able to support you through it. I think it'll be a relief to have them out of your hair, quite literally.

I'm just going to go through shorter lengths and give pros of each one, because honestly there's something fun and something to love about hair at all lengths:
    Shaved head: It's just a cool look, so daring, definately makes a statement. It shows off a woman's face beautifully, and you actually get to see what your head looks like
    Pixie cut: Some similar benefits to the shaved head but not so extreme. It's cute and fun and modern
    Mouth length: I loved this length because I felt like a 1920's parisian woman, it's so chic
    Chin length: Such a cute style, I kept mine chin length for years. I think it's flattering on all women, and it's not super hard to maintain
    Shoulder lenght: It's where I"m at now. It's long enough that it doesn't feel like short hair to me, and I can braid it and stuff. It's nice.

I'd guess you'll end up at one of those lengths, and I'm sure you'll rock it. Plus you can know for sure that the new growth will be healthy and in good condition.
    Thanks Laurab, I really appreciate all your help

The mats are like on top of my head at the back, then I've got a big one on the back of my head too (bit embarrassing ahaha) my partner estimates it may be around 8 or 9 inches long if we were to cut it

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    Do you find lint? My experience is that mats are always held together by lint. See my article https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=151460

There is usually mold/bacteria growing in mats. The mold causes the bad odor, but I don't think it is causing the matting (at least in my experience in a dry climate).

Removing mats that run up to the scalp is difficult (I had those). If you are going to cut, I suggest removing only enough length to enable you to comb out the mats above that.

Acidity will kill mold. Does vinegar help (at least temporarily until you get the mats out)?
    Ed
    Thank you EdG,

I do think there's probably lint in there as well, I've read your article but I'm not sure if I could get it out of a ball shaped mat with no end? If it was more long and straight shaped like a dreadlock it'd be easier I think, I'm unable to comb it, only pull out tiny amounts of strands with my fingers

My doctor said to avoid vinegar as it feeds this particular type of mould

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by silkystrandz View Post
    Perhaps tons of coconut oil and patience would help to untangle the matted hair. I understand that coconut has antibacterial properties. Good Luck.
    Thank you, I haven't tried coconut oil, I will keep it in mind for our next attempt at detangling / cutting

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKmew
    I do think there's probably lint in there as well, I've read your article but I'm not sure if I could get it out of a ball shaped mat with no end? If it was more long and straight shaped like a dreadlock it'd be easier I think, I'm unable to comb it, only pull out tiny amounts of strands with my fingers
    That may be too matted to save. I know another LHC'er applied a silicone detangling spray to loosen a mat so that it could be combed out (slowly). That may be worth trying if you haven't already done so.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Oh, it's absolutely terrible what happened to you. I had my hair severely matted when I was 14 or so after a horrendous perm and I remember both my parents worked on untangling it for a couple of hours using leave-in conditioner and oils. I'm sorry I can't remember any of the products, just that you need a lot of patience and it's quite traumatic. I was left with half the hair I started with as lots of it broke in the process, but it was worth it and it grew back. Good luck!