Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henna Recommendation??

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: Henna Recommendation??

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Here's the thread about TangledMess's dye process.
    Thank you! It looks like TangledMess's process is just straight up henna from that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Fair View Post
    Simpscone, I usually order the Sojat (this is from Rajasthan, so it's presumably very similar to Hanna Sook’s Red Raj henna – see https://hennablogspot.com/henna-sooq...-need-to-know/ for some helpful details). It dye releases like crazy, even while you’re still mixing it up, so if you try it, use gloves the whole time! I accidentally gave myself a couple of pumpkin-coloured fingernails the first time I used it

I’m not sure how henna boy does their blends, but they have an online chat thingy and they’re pretty responsive, so it's probably best to ask direct!
    Thank you, I'll take a look and use the chat to see what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    In Italy the best henna (in my opinion and experience, of course) is the one sourced from Le Erbe di Janas. They have a high-lawsone-content one that is deeper/richer red and a lower -awsone-content other that gives a warm, sunny, marmalade copper. Both are BAQ.
    Not sure if easy, practical or feasible to ship in Wales from a European shop like Ecco-Verde. I´ve never been to UK for more than a week, so I´ve never had to look for a good alternative there.

Lush Henna was my first henna, and... well, i don´t like the consistency. It surely lacks pigmentation, it´s a little more than a gloss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Fair View Post
    I’ve shipped to the U.K. from Ecco-Verde with no problems. I can’t remember what the shipping costs were like, but that does suggest that they weren’t tooooo bad or I imagine that would have stuck with me? But yes, IT>U.K. shipping is manageable.
    I have heard it's a bit more of a gloss, so I'm probably better off using straight up henna and cassia.

From that site would I buy Le Erbe di Janas Henna (warm red shade) and Le Erbe di Janas Cassia (Senna / Neutral Henna) to mix?

It's difficult to know where is best to get from with so many great recommendations! I'm thinking it will either be Henna-Boy or Le Erbe di Janas. I was leaning towards Lush but it seems silly to go for the least-recommended option!
    Next goal: 34" - Hip

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Yes, that's the Classic recipe for bright copper. But my hair never agreed with cassia, so if I want a lighter copper I just use less henna and add some conditioner.
    My advice is to chelate or clarify before using Cassia, and do a strand test: On me it always left a greenish hue probably due to mineral build up
    What is your natural color Simpscone?
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Yes, that's the Classic recipe for bright copper. But my hair never agreed with cassia, so if I want a lighter copper I just use less henna and add some conditioner.
    My advice is to chelate or clarify before using Cassia, and do a strand test: On me it always left a greenish hue probably due to mineral build up
    What is your natural color Simpscone?
    Sorry for the late reply!

My natural colour is a "mousey" brown, like this https://www.instagram.com/p/BzDY9hHlbhZ/ where there is no filter in the sun or like the below:

I'll be honest I'm considering going back to my natural colour. I'm too unsure at the moment to do any henna (thank god for the 2 week rule!!) because I don't trust myself to be okay with being "stuck" with the same colour for years. I don't want to keep chemically dying it either though, so I'm considering stripping the colour out and leaving it alone again. I need to think on it some more, I love the current colour but I don't enjoy the worry!
    Next goal: 34" - Hip

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

If you aren't sure, going back to your natural color is probably the best option You can always try henna or something else in the future if it feels right then

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Simpscone View Post
    - if I wanted to go back brunette, is there a mix you can do with henna and indigo to achieve this on top of henna? That’s the main thing holding me back from using henna at the moment, the growing out horror stories!
    I have to tell you that I have been using henna faithfully for three years now and the difference in my hair health is amazing. It was difficult for me to wait for all the damage to grow out and I did cut a lot off the speed up that process, but I am happy that I made this hair-care change!

My husband says that my hair makes me look 20 years younger than my 53 years because its healthy and long, and peri-menopausal women just don't have the kind of hair that I now have. Not to brag (okay I am bragging!!), but I think I look a least 10 years younger than my contemporaries. Some of it is genetics, some of it is my daily rotating Retin-A and Glygolic acid routine, but most of it is my hair.

When you mention the growing out horror stories, I just wanted to let you know that if you find the right shade, you probably won't have that problem. At least, if you are not someone who wants to change the length of your hair often. I don't say change the style, because long hair sports way more styles than short or mid-length. I was never the type of person that changed my hair style often, so going for henna was a BIG deal to me. But I LOVE it, and plan to grow my hair to my tailbone, which is about 7 inches more than my current length. With henna, I should have no problem.

Good luck to you!