Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Devacurl hair loss/breakage conspiracy

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Devacurl hair loss/breakage conspiracy

Updated 2020 to add link to a couple more vids to take into consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmp...X52gqnA/videos

__________________________________________________ ________

Soooo I did a search and couldn't find this talked about yet. Maybe conspiracy isn't the right word but I couldn't think of a better one.

soo I once used/loved the devacurl line and when I saw the vid by curl ninja stating how she experienced hair loss bc of it and many others had as well, I put all my deva stuff away.

I'm not one to take chances bc I actually stumbled on my hair care journey due to a very similar experience with suave.

I used suave for years and had super healthy (well I think it was) past hip length hair.

Then one day as I was washing my kiddos hair with suave, he said it burned. Thank God I listened and googled that mess.

I saw all kinds of skeery things about hair loss, balding, burning. And although I personally didn't have that experience I wasn't willing to take a chance on any of us. also, he's never said anything like that before - and we were well out of the baby shampoo days.

That was day 1 of learning about healthy hair, silicones, sulfates etc.
    I then found the curly girl method and the rest is history.

(also, I will note that only months ago a friend of mine who has thick hair told me how her hair was coming out in chunks and was so thinned she was depressed. She said she went to the dr and they couldn't figure it out. My brain went to my suave research and I asked if she uses that brand. she said she just started using the avocado one and she didn't even think shampoo/condish could be the reason so she didn't think to stop using it.)

Curl ninja did say she didn't believe there were issues with the stylers - it was just the low poo and one condition and that soo many people were telling her their horror stories well before she experienced any issues personally.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLm...rlDXzJ2KI6nZ1g

I know the curl ninja experienced so much breakage and hair loss that she cut all of her hair off to start fresh and I just wanted to put the info out there in case, just in case, it may be helpful to someone else.
    Last edited by desisparkles; February 16th, 2020 at 11:14 AM.
    ... a Siamese Cat of a Girl...
    Insta 808deswaves
    aka DessertGlitter aka Dj Sparklies

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Devacurl hair loss/breakage conspiracy

The curl "ninja" is not my cup of tea. Sorry.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

I'm really not sure. her accounts are so dramatized that it seems like she's trying to profit off of shaming them more than actually being concerned about the products. On the other hand, I wouldn't continue using those products because like yourself, I'm not one to take a chance (and they're too expensive in the first place lol). I do still have half of my big bottle of one condition that I purchased years ago, and simply stopped using because it didn't do enough for my hair to even try to use up. I haven't reached for it since those videos came out.

I know another youtuber mentioned she stopped using their products because the waxes built up on her hair, and she advertised them constantly before. Build up can absolutely cause hair loss and scalp issues, and even I won't let anything with a type of wax in the ingredients touch my hair for the most part, but curly ninja had much more serious accusations. Idk.

[ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I had seen amanda's vids on deva well before I think ninja was even on youtube but since she used the no poo, I didn't really feel it concerned me.

If I hear negative things like hair loss, hair breakage I'm out. no way jose.

i have several deva items but I don't even want to give them away in case they are harmful. guess i'll be making some interesting slime attempts.
    Insta 808deswaves

Length
    APL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Interesting that you mentioned Suave causing hair loss. When I first went CG, I used Suave conditioners as a co-wash because they were cheap. It didn't last long because I noticed my hair falling out in clumps.

I can't say I noticed that happening with Devacurl, but I never used their products long enough to tell.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019

APL-BSL-MBL-WST-HIP-CLSC
    My Recipe Blog

Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

lots of bad info on suave but I know lots of curlies love it. i never paid attention to shedding and all that so for all I know I was losing hair too but just went la di da about my day. it's so weird how little I paid attention to my hair even though it was quite long.
    Insta 808deswaves

Length
    Pixie/Tbl/Class
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Oh wow now she's attacking devacurl? What next... I wouldn't believe anything she says.
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've been around the boards a while and have seen people experience increased shedding from co-washing, regardless of the co-wash they use. I think it's like anything else, what works for one does not work for all. Co-washing does not work for me.

At the end of the day the price of DevaCurl is enough to scare me from trying it

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sourgrl View Post
    I've been around the boards a while and have seen people experience increased shedding from co-washing, regardless of the co-wash they use. I think it's like anything else, what works for one does not work for all. Co-washing does not work for me.

At the end of the day the price of DevaCurl is enough to scare me from trying it
    Yes I agree. I think it's a CO-wash thing. A long time ago it was the same issue with Wen. Seems like that all over again, but with a lot more... drama.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sourgrl View Post

def a pricey brand but I bought the hype, I'm a sucker for juicy curls
    Insta 808deswaves