Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Devacurl hair loss/breakage conspiracy

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Devacurl hair loss/breakage conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Yes and no. Here's Etsy's policies about representing yourself, your shop, and your listings honestly.

The only one that matters here is #3: accurately represent your items in listings and listing photos.

That's it. There is no product report that Etsy sellers have to make, testing they have to do, or organization to which they have to pass muster. So while this seller is technically in violation of #3, it took me being knowledgeable enough in soap making to know what she was likely leaving out in order to greenwash her products.
    Very interesting! This is not about you at all Nightshade - you have the following here to prove it, but in essence... anyone can just sell you "anything". To me that's quite frightening. I'm not just talking hair products, but things like baking etc; general food stuffs.

Yeah... no. I don't think I want to purchase any product from Etsy anymore for my hair. Also regulations within the US & EU are different as well.

ETA
    I, a few years ago, bought (not through Etsy) but through naturallycurly a number of stylers and if you start to think about ingredients being regulated differently...
    Last edited by lapushka; February 19th, 2020 at 02:23 PM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The Bookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Residence, The Lady of the House Speaking!
    Length
    30"/38.5"/48"
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Oh honey, not by a long shot--I've been here a loooooooooong time and that is by far not the stupidest thing I've seen here
    This was the lighthearted post this thread needed. Thanks, Nightshade.

I tried some Deva Curl samples years ago and wasn't crazy about it, mostly due to the notion that multiple products are needed daily. I like just spritzing my curls with water and a bit of conditioner. Then there was the hefty price. So this news is well, news, to me. It does seem that most people have experienced problems since roughly the time the company changed hands. Regardless of the reasons, seeing all the pics of terrible damage and bald patches reminds me of the 'henna disaster' I had fifteen years ago. It was a common brand sold in our health food store, yet it must have had loads of metals and salts. Bottom line was about a third of my hip length hair fell out within a few days, I had a middle part that was literally an inch wide (which lasted for years), and I had to cut about 18 inches as my once thick hemline broke off to four pathetic straggly clumps. I only tried the henna to perk myself up a bit after splitting with my fiance, which it most certainly did not do! On a brighter note, I have used both Aubrey Organics, and Light Mountain for over five years now with wonderful results. Both are organic, inexpensive, and non-harmful, thankfully.

Interestingly, it was this 'disaster' that lead me to LHC in desperate search of help...and I found it in spades and met many wonderful folks! Coconut oil saved my hair in the end. I hope those who have suffered damage are able to heal their hair and scalp, and that in time the truth comes out as to the cause.
    Lady Tailtiu of the Emerald Moors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights // GaelStorm - My Photo Album

The Bookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Residence, The Lady of the House Speaking!
    Length
    30"/38.5"/48"
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    LOL I guess it still does https://www.amazon.com/dippity-do-Gi...ty%3A-1&sr=8-2

Plus they now have a curl cream, mouse, with a cream and paste for men I see

I can still 'feel' it ...applying it to my hair and after it dried in rollers ....or even pin curls as a kid

It was in a clear jar back then; I remember these commercials too

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i8xbi

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqvm6
    Fantastic!!!!
    Lady Tailtiu of the Emerald Moors in the Order of the Long Haired Knights // GaelStorm - My Photo Album

Length
    24”/31.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yes I agree. I think it's a CO-wash thing. A long time ago it was the same issue with Wen. Seems like that all over again, but with a lot more... drama.
    Back when it happened with Wen, social media wasn't quite as alive and well as it is now. So like with any other controversy, there is a rather severe onslaught (cancel culture) these days because everyone jumps aboard the bandwagon. Deva Curl is definitely being exposed to the cancel culture of our current generation. Much celebrities etc being vilified until they fall silent.
    APL - BSL - MBL - **WL** - HL - TBL
    Last dye: Feb 2017
    Last trim: 8th September 2019

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelic Girl View Post
    This was the lighthearted post this thread needed. Thanks, Nightshade.
    Happy to amuse I'm glad people took it in the spirit it was meant

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I had a devacut and got some products about three years ago now. It was one of those hair cuts that you cry after. I couldn't accurately say now if they were any good or not because my hair at the time was fried. I've thought about trying devacurl again in the years since but the prices are just out of this world and really turn me off. I think this is an accurate representation of why CGM turns me off really, it's one of the most high maintenance and money sucking ventures I've ever seen. Just doesn't make any sense for my lifestyle. That being said. I feel awful for a lot of the women who've put so much into their hair and really bought into the deva curl lifestyle only for it to totally trash their hair. Even though a lot of the videos I've seen are a little band-wagony and dramatic.
    [Shaved | Pixie | Chin | Shoulder | APL | BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Length
    APL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    3a/M/iii

I follow a modified CGM routine - using SLS-free shampoo and being silicone free - and it worked for me for years, but now that my hair is getting longer I'm starting to wonder if I need silicones to combat the tangles I do think the whole routine of getting a Deva cut and CGM are aimed at people who want curly hair, but not necessarily long curly hair, if that makes sense.

I also used DevaCurl products heavily back when I first started embracing my texture. When you're a new curly, DevaCurl is the first brand that really jumps out and seems very promising which is why I think a lot of people reach for it initially. Then, you might start doing some more research and find other products. Some people don't really research things though, like my mom, and goes solely by the claims on the bottle. I can see why DevaCurl could start causing issues and people not realize it's their products - after all, they claim to be good for curly hair. How could those be the issue?

I agree this is like the Wen thing all over again and I do believe it goes back to the fact it's a cleansing conditioner and co-washing simply isn't meant for every head.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019

APL-BSL-MBL-WST-HIP-CLSC
    My Recipe Blog

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Since this all came out I decided to buy and try Neutrogena's Anti residue shampoo and wow, the results are pretty fab.

... a Siamese Cat of a Girl...
    Insta 808deswaves
    aka DessertGlitter aka Dj Sparklies

Your hair looks really pretty, desisparkles! I love your texture.

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/30.5/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Aww thanks so much Hedwig
    ... a Siamese Cat of a Girl...
    Insta 808deswaves
    aka DessertGlitter aka Dj Sparklies