Thread: Mixing developer into shampoo or conditioners to lighten hair - my experience with it

Length
    24"/24"/36"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Mixing developer into shampoo or conditioners to lighten hair - my experience with it

Yes, I mean hair developer (hydrogen peroxide) without any dyes or bleach to mix into it. I feel like this is a better option than liquid hydrogen peroxide because it's creamier and easier to mix into shampoo and control it, more stable due to its formula, and also has other conditioning ingredients in them. If honey and cinnamon lightening is a thing, why not developer?

Has anyone actually tried this long term though? It's pretty much bleach cap without the bleach. I was scared that I will discolor my hair and it will be noticeable from a distance, but it can't be any more drastic than a traditional bleach cap, right? But who knows, my hair is longer than most people who perform bleach caps. But, I was curious and wanted some highlights, and what is the point of long hair if I can't have fun with it?

My own personal experience: It works to slowly lighten my strong asian hair by a shade or two without damaging it too much (my hair doesn't feel damaged but there's more natural volume now). I mix it into shampoo and use it like normal shampoo - only at the scalp, and it runs down the length anyway. My hair has natural looking but noticeable highlights thanks to this.

Has anyone tried this before? Did you get noticeable results that are also good?
    waist - tailbone - hip - classic
    Routine: Selsun Blue Salicylic Shampoo, Olaplex No. 4, Ion Absolute Perfection Booster, Pantene Conditioner, Baby oil gel

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Mixing developer into shampoo or conditioners to lighten hair - my experience wit

Hydrogen peroxide, I fear, is not going to lighten. You might actually need the bleach part.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Mixing developer into shampoo or conditioners to lighten hair - my experience wit

Can I ask you how long/how many applications have you done to lift one/two shades?
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    14/27/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I actually tried peroxide alone on my hair years ago with good results.
    The way I did it was, I saturated my dry, unwashed hair with hydrogen peroxide alone and then I sat on my patio under the sun light and it definitely worked to lighten my hair a few shades. Then i washed it normally with shampoo and conditioner.
    SL...APL...BSL...WL
    Goal: Healthy Hair. Current Length: 27"

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide, I fear, is not going to lighten. You might actually need the bleach part.
    Hydrogen peroxide alone will give some lightening, too.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

*chuckle* my BFF's mom would not allow him to bleach his dark brown hair, so he used the hydrogen peroxide in the bathroom cabinet to create a light streak in his hair.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    14/27/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I forgot to mention that when I did it, it turned out brassy but it definitely lightened my hair.
    SL...APL...BSL...WL
    Goal: Healthy Hair. Current Length: 27"

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide alone will give some lightening, too.
    I would come out so brassy. I get brassy from bleach alone and that is much stronger, so brunettes be careful!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would come out so brassy. I get brassy from bleach alone and that is much stronger, so brunettes be careful!
    Yep! I considered this option to create gentler highlights later on but came to the conclusion that it would be awfully dodgy and end up looking waaaayyy too brassy among my ash blonde hair.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    24"/24"/36"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by browntatis View Post
    I forgot to mention that when I did it, it turned out brassy but it definitely lightened my hair.
    Same with me, it's a warm highlight than an ashy cool one. Any lightening without blue color deposits to counteract it would turn out brassy, I would assume. It's not that noticeable if you do it slowly over time though with only a small lift in shade.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Can I ask you how long/how many applications have you done to lift one/two shades?
    Oh, I don't even know. I didn't count, and there were weeks that I didn't use the shampoo mix. I used it for at least like 6 months now. It's a slooow process, and I don't keep it in my hair or anything. I actually just the peroxide to give my scalp cleaning an extra boost, and worried that it might discolor my hair and then eventually decided that I wouldn't mind some highlights.
    waist - tailbone - hip - classic
    Routine: Selsun Blue Salicylic Shampoo, Olaplex No. 4, Ion Absolute Perfection Booster, Pantene Conditioner, Baby oil gel