Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any excuse to not get a hair cut? Anyone else like this?

Default Any excuse to not get a hair cut? Anyone else like this?

I keep thinking I need a hair cut as it's been nearly a year but I always have an event coming up that I can't possibly have a bad haircut for. Summer holiday/trip away/Christmas dinner out/you name it. I sometimes go to hairdresser with rather long hair a good bit past shoulders and then come out with a bob even though just want a tiny trim!. It's always a bob it turns into lol! My hair at the moment is nearly bsl and it's a nice straight across cut. But it's getting a bit tangly/thin on the ends so it needs a trim but I just keep extending it! But I feel like I've reached the point my hair isn't going to get much longer now without a trim to make it healthy again.

Anyone else the same? Haha how to conquer the fear of getting a haircut?! Also doesn't help my last good hairdresser is now on maternity leave
    Last edited by stephy190; November 16th, 2019 at 01:04 PM.

Length
    shldr/clsc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Any excuse to not get a hair cut? Anyone else like this?

Trimming to make your hair grow is a myth. Cutting in and of itself can be counterproductive to growing hair, especially if you do it too often.

There's really only two reasons for someone whose goal is long hair to trim. One is to maintain a hemline shape that is preferred (ex: straight across), the other is to get rid of damage that's bad enough to justify a cut.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Sometimes an haircut is necessary. Hair is inherently inert and can´t regenerate, so damage is permanent (no matter how little or big it is).
    Every now and then, a trim is good to prevent damage and frayed cuticles from extending upwards. On the other hand... there is no need to cut one inch every 2 or 3 months if your routine is not particularly damaging.

I was also struggling with hairdressers. My old one never seemed to do a job completely right, I always had to ask my mom to adjust something.
    Now, my mom is not bad with shears... but she´s ABSOLUTELY length-blind. "Shoulder" for her could mean a long bob barely grazing shoulder.
    So I learned to trim myself, with the babushka variant of Feye´s self trim method. Granted, the first cuts weren´t perfect... but you learn.

How long since your last trim dear? If its more than 6 months, I´d say a dusting would make your ends feel very soft.
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

It's been nearly a year. Last trimmed in January. So just need to work up the courage and hope for the best! But just always think if I get a bad haircut don't want to be going out to this upcoming event looking bad etc.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by stephy190 View Post
    It's been nearly a year. Last trimmed in January. So just need to work up the courage and hope for the best! But just always think if I get a bad haircut don't want to be going out to this upcoming event looking bad etc.
    Ahaha, I can´t relate because my hair loooves to backfire all my plans and be unsightly for big events. The more important it is, the more it coils, frizz and bends weirdly
    My bangs especially have a perverse sense of humor.
    I actually have developed one or two "safe" hairstyles for these kind of occurrences. Which usually involve washing my bangs and bending them in submission with round brush and blow drier, putting a nice headband and tucking all my hair out of sight in some kind of low ponytail or bun.
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

Ohhh id love to have an updo for special events that looks good. I tend to wear hair up casually a lot so down is my go to for dressy occasions. Which only looks good if dont have a horrific haircut lol. However my hair currently is a bit thin on ends last couple weeks so I'm in a pickle ! lol

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I don't trust hair dressers at all, like nope no thanks stay away from me lol . That being said, having them show you specifically how much they're taking off helps a lot. Tell them to hold up exactly how much is getting cut, it seems to help keep them from getting overly creative with your length. Always better to have too little cut than too much

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I don't trust hair dressers at all, like nope no thanks stay away from me lol . That being said, having them show you specifically how much they're taking off helps a lot. Tell them to hold up exactly how much is getting cut, it seems to help keep them from getting overly creative with your length. Always better to have too little cut than too much
    Oh I don't trust them either but I don't trust myself even more lol! Do you trim yourself or avoid hairdressers til have to go?

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I noticed this pattern: usually, hidden wavy hair behaves in such a way that you have the feeling only a cut is the saviour. Those ends look dry, lifeless because you never took care of your hair like it's wavy.
    You treated your hair like it's straight. At least this is how I've done it.
    Well, what I'd do is :
    1. type my hair, see if I have waves or not
    2. if the hair is wavy - try curly girl method for a while , see if it helps restore moisture
    Curly girl method helped me understand how to hydrate those lifeless ends.
    Use some light oils on your ends, apply a few drops in the evening. (almond oil, avocado oil, see what works for you)
    Read a lot about wavy hair.
    I bet straight hair girls out there don't feel that urge to cut their ends so often like we wavies do, this is why I assumed you were a wavy.
    Good luck and stay away from scissors. Learn how to do a stylish bun. You are the master of your own hair, nobody can cut any of it unless you approve.
    Good luck!
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TL-CL

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by stephy190 View Post
    Oh I don't trust them either but I don't trust myself even more lol! Do you trim yourself or avoid hairdressers til have to go?
    I trim myself! I've been cutting my own hair since I was 17 I've made some mistakes for sure but mostly with layering, I don't have layers anymore though. There was a hair dresser I trusted in Texas but I'm not in that state anymore. She was a treasure! Good hair dressers do exist, but when it's as high stakes as hair length (at least for LHCers lol) it can be really nerve wracking to try different people.