Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Mail out deadline February 20th

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Mail out deadline February 20th

Hello my fellow hairnerds! It's time for another winter swap. And I feel like this winter is special; it's the end of a decade!

What does this mean for the swap? I want you to make one of the gifts relevant to something that has been special for you this decade! How you interpret that, is up to you, but here are some examples at the top of my head: A soap bar in a scent that reminds you of a special holiday you took, you learnt knitting and make something for your giftee, you found a new favourite author that you love and want to share the joy of reading with your giftee (doesn't need to be the same author), maybe you found a new favourite hairtoy-maker and want to share that! The main point here is for your giftee to learn something about YOU. We all learn a lot about our giftees when we put together a box for them, but it doesn't go that much the other way. If you want to theme more than one gift, you are more than welcome to do that. Other than that, I encourage using the thread to chat, muse on how the decade has been for you, ponder how the next one will be. What are your hopes and dreams for the next decade? Or maybe you're more the person that don't plan too much ahead and just go with the flow?

Either way, I hope you will join us in this winter swap

Matches go out by: Nov 26th
    Mail out deadline: Feb 20th

Rules:

-All packages are to be sent with tracking! No exception!
    -Your box is to be five items only (excluding edibles)
    -A pair or set of something (gloves, hairsticks, bobby pins i.e.) counts as one item.
    -Tea, candy, chocolate, snacks etc you can include as many as you wish.
    -There is no minimum or maximum spending limit
    -At least one item must in some way be hair-related
    -Items can be new, handmade or second hand
    -You must send me a tracking number and/or receipt when you ship
    -You must post a reveal when your gift arrives, including at least one photo (but the more, the merrier!).

To join:
    You must have been a member here for at least 5 months with at least 50 posts
    OR
    Have participated in a swap before
    OR
    Have an established member vouch for you. If you fail to fulfil your swap box, the member who vouched for you will be the angel gifter for your giftee.

To join, please email me the following information at m.c.moland @ gmail.com. Mark the subject as "LHC Winter Swap- (your username here)" (please keep all swap communication with me in this email chain, to make it easier for me )

LHC Name
    Real Name
    Your Address
    Shipping preferences (In your country, internationally etc) - I will try to accommodate requests where possible but cannot guarantee this
    Presence of allergens in your house: (smoke, pets etc)
    Allergies:
    Mailbox situation (Delivered to your house or do you have to make a special trip to visit it?)
    Optional: Your previous swap partners, anyone special you would wish to gift to, anyone special you would not wish to be matched with. I will do my best to accommodate, but no guarantee. Wishes for gifter will be ignored.
    Optional 2: If you would like to be on the list of potential angel gifters (in case something so someone can't send their box, a team of angel gifters will be called on to help assemble a gift, you'll be asked to contribute 1 item, not a whole box alone)

You must also write an “about me”-post here in the thread. The more specific you are, the better! And I will encourage everyone to read their giftee’s post very thoroughly, and also to maybe do a bit of digging into their past swaps and other posts!

About me’s should include:
    Allllll the info about hairtoys you use (material, length, colours, waterproof or not etc)
    What you DON’T use!
    All kinds of relevant info on likes and dislikes on everything from animals to candy to hobby stuff
    Any allergies (including food allergies)
    Remember, the more thorough you are, the easier it is for your gifter

This post might be updated at any time, I'll let the thread know if there's big changes!

Happy swapping
    Last edited by PixieP; November 18th, 2019 at 04:32 AM.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Sign up deadline Nov 20th -

Last edited by Hailwidis; November 28th, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Mostly active in the Winter Swap of 2019-2020!

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Sign up deadline Nov 20th -

I'd like to be in, but if tracking really is required and shipping preferences aren't guaranteed then I'm not sure. Overseas tracking is hella expensive from Canada.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    0"/WL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Awww I guess I haven't been around long enough. Sad but fair.

I hope everyone enjoys the swap! ❤

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post

You have a swap feedback score of some sort, so doesn't that count? If not, I would vouch for you.

I will join! But first I need to remember who I sent boxes to the last couple times so I don't bore those same people with my limited repertoire of crafts.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    0"/WL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    You have a swap feedback score of some sort, so doesn't that count? If not, I would vouch for you.

I will join! But first I need to remember who I sent boxes to the last couple times so I don't bore those same people with my limited repertoire of crafts.
    Oh really?

Okay! I'll join! I'm so excited!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if my one time buying from the swap board counts or not.

Thank you so much physicschick!
    Last edited by jane_marie; November 12th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ninja View Post
    I'd like to be in, but if tracking really is required and shipping preferences aren't guaranteed then I'm not sure. Overseas tracking is hella expensive from Canada.
    Tracking is required because of previous experiences with boxes going missing, with isn't fun for anyone :/ I will always strive to make the circle go so that everyone gets their preference fullfilled, but if I am missing enough people to ship overseas, I will contact people and ask if they are okay with shipping internationally. I won't just force someone

And do remember that those of us who isn't in the US or Canada deal with the hella expensive shipping every time we are in a swap! My cheapest swap box cost me around 40USD to ship. I've had costs up to 65-70 USD. In Norway it's not possible to ship packages abroad without tracking, so that's what I pay.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post

Nah come and join in Your number of posts make up for it XD It's more a guideline than anything, mostly to make sure people who's just signed up and been here a week doesn't join and then drop out after two weeks. You seem comitted to the boards, so then you're good in my good! I'll note physicschick as your gurantee ^_^

June 2018: Cut back to CBL, back to growing!

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I'd love to join, but I still feel so bad about Chromis package being lost coming home in the previous swap I participated I'm also a bit tight of time with my studies and the full time job... Don't know what to do

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCLTBLWristCLFTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 39 1/3" - 100cm
    My little braid thread

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

That is NOT something you should feel even remotely responsible for darling! I feel bad for YOU that never got your box, especially since it was your first swap! You have time to think about it

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

About Me
    Hobbies/Interests:
    Reading, Netflix, yoga, aerial silks, D&D/other RPG's, my ukulele, writing, learning languages (though I'm in grad school right now so don't have time to tackle something new atm), playing with my cats, drinking tea.

Zodiac Sign:
    Moon sign? which fits better? is Cancer. But I'm not all that into zodiac stuff. But might give you a personality profile?
    Religion/Spirituality
    I'm a Christian.

General Fashion Aesthetic:
    Cross basement nerd with Victorian grandmother, and you've nailed it. I like nerdy things, but also dresses and lace and gloves and scarves. I got a hand-knitted shawl in one swap, and a tardis scarf in another, and I treasure them both. That should explain the aesthetic. I don't like super loud/bright patterns. But I like nerdy jewelry, shirts, stuff like that.

My Hair
    Hair Type:
    2C/3A, tempremental, medium thickness, fluffy.

Bun diameter:
    I think 4.25? But I have to measure that.

Other hair info:
    My hair is...difficult. It's about waist-length or mbl, henna'd to a deeper red shade (which I'm trying to dye purple). It's fragile and likes to break really easily, so needs to be babied like the little wimp it is, and it likes to tangle.
    It's low porosity, and loves protein. It hates coconut oil, shea butter, and silicones/sulfates. And me. Sometimes it hates me.
    It responds really well to herbal treatments/washes, like shikakai and hibiscus, which I sometimes use to wash it. It likes herbal tea rinses, and enjoys a good heavy oiling, as long as it's not with coconut oil. Olive oil is alright, but sometimes too heavy. Almond and Argan have worked best, but I love experiments. I am a modern-day bog witch when it comes to my hair.
    -tldr list of its dislikes: shea, coconut oil, silicones, sulfates, shampoo bars (much as I might wish otherwise), black tea, jojoba oil, and being brushed.
    Concerning Colors
    [B]Favorite colors:
    -Jewel tones, deep purples, emeralds, royal blues, teals, plum, burgundy, wine, etc.
    -Muted dusty colors, like lavender, rose, sage, blue-grey, sea foam green, soft greys (again, vintage grandma, right here).

Least Favorite colors:
    -Anything super bright or neon. If it's from a Barbie or a 90s game, I probably don't like it.
    -Pastels one would find in an easter basket. If it's going to be a light color, I like the muted dusty look.
    -I hate orange and yellow in all incarnations. I'm pale and they all look bad on me. Normal red is also bad.

Hair toy colors:
    -I like blues, purples, greens, black, white, what-have-you.
    -Red woods really don't show up well in my hair. That being said, I still have a fondness for them, and will still totally wear them.
    -Dark or light colors are all fine. My hair is just a bit darker than in my pic, I think, so pretty much anything will show up. All the disliked colors above also aply to disliked hair toy colors. I don't care for gold either, though if it's a pretty toy I'll still wear it.

Favorite Things
    Book:
    -Science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fiction. Some examples being Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman, and most things by Terry Pratchett, Uprooted, by Naomi Novac, People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks, and The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer.

Movie:
    -Marvel movies, historical period pieces, Sherlock movies, animated movies, Moana, Frozen, that sort of thing.

TV Shows:
    -Critical Role, Dr. Who, She-ra, Community, Parks and Rec, Good Omens, Over the Garden Wall, etc.

Animal:
    FOXES and CATS. Lizards are pretty darn cool too.

Mythological things:
    I love mythology. Celtic and Japanese in particular. But love it all.

Scents:
    Rose, vanilla, lavender, rose, some sandalwood, jasmine, almond,, mint.

Other Things:

-I love really, really old books. If it's old enough and looks cool enough, I don't even care if I'm interested in the content. I love adopting strange things from used bookstores.
    -LGBT things, even better if they have some asexual representation.
    -I like knitting but I'm really bad at it.
    -I love pretty dice. I have a problem...

Things I don’t like
    -Horror, or romance, in any of my consumed media.
    -R&B or hip-hop music.
    -Super strong incense smells, or anything that smells too chemically.
    -Fake fruit smells.
    -Mushrooms.
    -Bugs.
    -Vetiver or petigrain essential oils.
    -I love the taste of ginger, but don't tend to like the smell of it in products.

General Hair Toys: What works and what doesn't

Forks vs Sticks:
    I'll wear both. Forks are working better right now.

Forks:
    3-4 prongs, at least 4" long but 4.5-6" work best. Head curve doesn't matter. Prongs that aren't crazy sharp, or super dull/rough. Wood, metal, acryllic, all fine, bone/horn too.

Sticks:
    Need to be 6 inches at least. I like them to have fun toppers. Prefer singles over pairs, but will still wear pairs.

Flexis:
    XL's for holding up buns, and L's for folded braids, which are what I use them for most. I'd enjoy getting some smalls or X smalls to use for securing braid-ends. Preferably not a lot of dangle. I tend to like the classy under-stated ones, not a big fan of the animal kind.

Ficcares:
    Never tried them, don't wanna.

Headbands:
    Don't really care for them.

parandas:
    Just learned how to make them, but would love to have one someone else made or bought; I like them a lot.

Pins:
    I love spin pins and U-pins, decorative or plain.

Barrettes/French Clips:
    Really pretty, but break hair, and just don't get used.

Bobby Pins:
    Only use them for emergencies, and have plenty.

Hair Toy Material Preferences
    Already answered this sort of, but this'll be the TL;DR version.

Acrylic:
    Yes. Please take color preferences very much into account.

Wood:
    Yes, as long as it's not yellowish, or too light/snappable.

Metal and other materials:
    Yes. Prefer silver or copper, or really anything but gold. Love getting gems involved. There's no material I won't use, really.

Preference of Waterproof finish or if it even matters to you:
    I'd like it not to die if I get caught out in the rain. But it doesn't need to be able to survive a swimming pool.

Edibles

Sweets:
    -LOVE: Chocolate, Macha, pastries/cake/cookies. Chocolate combined with orange is God's food. I live for those Christmas oranges, but anything that puts those flavors together wins the world.
    -Like less: I don't care for tart or sour things, and I'm not that big on caramel. Liquorish is a no-go too. I'm not as into hard candy as I am other stuff.

Savory:
    -Do like: chips, crackers, breads, nuts, snack mixes, interesting things. Herbs, smokey flavors, lightly spicy. Will try anything.
    -Don't like: wasabi, mushrooms, vinegar.
    I really like sweet or savory things from other countries/cultures, on top of liking most foods in general.

Tea:
    ALL THE TEA. I like floral teas, smokey teas, herbal-flavors. I prefer black or green or herbal teas. I do have a lot of tea, like, a cabinet-full, but I'm always excited to try something new. Citrus teas are alright but not my favorites. And I'm not as big on white teas.

Other Edibles:
    -I like coffee, but don't drink a lot of it, unless it's like a drink mix (I'm too lazy to make coffee at home).
    -Hot chocolate is amazing, the richer the better. When I found out Italy had hot chocolate that was basically pudding my life changed.
    -I really do like trying new things.

Dietary Concerns:
    None.

Allergies:
    Nothing major. Some sensitivity to cheap metals for jewelry, but I can deal with it.

About handmade items and other stuff

Head circumference, clothing sizing, and jewelry preferences

Head Circumference:
    I think 23. Either way: huge head.

Clothes:
    -Accessories, like scarves, gloves, slippers/socks (size 9 or 10 foot), shawls, hats. That being said, nerdy shirts are a thing I love, size XL, and the longer the better, since I usually wear them to aerial or yoga. Er on the side of big if you're not sure.

Jewelry Preferences:
    -I love fun/weird earrings, and would probably wear either those or necklaces. Silver, copper, or pewter are favorite materials. I like Celtic themes for my 'normal' jewelry.

Etsy Shops and Other Online Retailers.
    ]Favorite Etsy Shops:
    -Timberstone Turnings
    -Quattro
    -Beadmask.
    -Nightblooming
    -Orangerium
    -Byflower fox.
    -Outnumbered Novelties.
    -AKC woodworking

Other Favorite Online Shops:
    Henna sooq.

Gift Ideas
    Dream Hair Toys:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7534366...home_active_10
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7208632...home_active_26

Etsy favorites: Some expensive stuff, so no need to shop off the list at all. It will just be helpful for style purposes.
    https://www.etsy.com/people/katiak1?...-fav&tab=items

Other Hair Toy Ideas[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Katia_k; November 24th, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.