Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Mail out deadline February 20th

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Mail out deadline February 20th

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post

neko, seriously? well sorry giftee, don't expect any badassery like that from me.
    Be warned, my swap taunts are truthful but designed to be misleading. . .

Do you have a favorite decade in history? If you could time-travel, when/where would you go?
    No favorites. If I could time-travel I'd go a few months into the future. Though, I do have some questions about pre-history that are best answered through direct observation. . .

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    knee/fgtip/mthgh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Winter swap 19/20 - The end of a decade! - Mail out deadline February 20th

Do you have a favorite decade in history? If you could time-travel, when/where would you go?

I really like history and mythology and I also do reenactment, so historical stuff would be great My current faves are the Middle Ages (especially the late Middle Ages, 14-15th Century), late Victorian-Edwardian times (1890s-1910s), the 20s, Italian Renaissance, and practically everything about Ancient Times (especially Celtic culture; also Egyptian, Scandinavian, Roman-Greek, Chinese, the Middle Eastern Steppe Amazonian cultures,...). Fashion-wise, I also like the Regency era and 16th-17th Century fashion.

If I could grab a TARDIS (so long as I had a return guarantee because I appreciate hygiene, technology, pants and women's rights, so I definitely would *not* like to live in the past :S ), I would definitely go to all those eras, especially Celtic Ancient and Medieval Times because that culture is among my faves. I'd also love to actually do some legit reenactment in the late Middle Ages and Edwardian times xD, and especially go meet all the historical women who did cool stuff

More eras/centuries than decades, this, sorry

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I don't have a favorite decade. If I could time-travel I'd go to the future, because I want to see if Star Trek was right, but if I could only go to the past I wouldn't go back too far, since I enjoy running water and voting and not getting smallpox. I'd either go back to the early '80s, to experience some of the post-punk music scenes first-hand, or to the Weimar republic since I feel there are some lessons there we're not learning. That is, assuming there is a "no deliberately changing history" clause in this time-travel deal; if there isn't, that would change my answer.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I don't know that I have a favorite era exactly. I find the Victorian fascination with death really interesting... but I think traveling back would only highlight the life of servitude my ancestors endured (my paternal grandparents are both irish but from England). I like air of excitement around the idea of a 20s speak easy... but I also like being able to vote. I love 50s fashion but seeing a nation of American women forced into a life of cleaning and babies is less than ideal...

If I had the chance to travel back in time I think I would go to the Chickasaw territory of pre-European America. According to my mother my great Grandmother was a full blooded Chickasaw (... I don't know how true that is because I only met her once when I was very very young). So, I guess I would like to know more about how that culture worked and what that area of Missouri looked like before Europeans came. I think it would be amazing to know more about what the land looked like before.

I don't know. It's weird but since I have been growing out my hair I've noticed that my virgin hair is practically black and no one else in my family has hair like that so it's made me more curious about my great grandmother and the area/culture she came from.
    Last edited by jane_marie; Yesterday at 11:36 PM.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's answers to all these questions! Here's the ones I haven't answered yet I think, hope I didn't miss any.

I'm going to a cosplay convention this weekend, where they have merch and stuff -
    Are you into fandoms and do you collect fandom merch? (Fanart/stickers/figures/keyrings/etc)

Eh, not really. I don't really like to collect things like figures or keyrings... stickers would be okay, and art, but I couldn't point to a specific show I would want it from.
    A cosplay convention sounds fun to go to, tho. I would go to that. And I did go to the Baltimore comic-con this year... I tend to avoid all the "big name" super hero type comics, I'm not into those, and I don't like cartoonish style comics either,
    but I DO like graphic novels, and I also like looking at all the smaller indie artists booths there.
    While there I purchased a signed artbook from an artist there who had a bunch of prints of his drawings hung up around his booth that I really liked the style of
    https://jmdragunas.com/

Do you like Celtic culture/mythology/history?

Yes. Not really for myself, but my husband is a red head of Irish ethnicity, so it's around our house a bit.

Black liquorice and bitter 'sweet stuff', yay or nay? What about hard candy?

No to black licorice! Hard candy, yes. Not the sugar free kind tho, ick.

I realllly like the internet, so don't think I would want to travel to a decade without it if it was a one way trip! Only if I could go back and forth whenever I pleased, then I'd visit each decade, every era, to be a tourist - but then I'd like to come back.
    My 2019 Hair journey:
    Valentines day (Feb 14): 30"
    -->
    Currently: 34"

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Hmmm, which decades... If we're going with twentieth century, I think I'd have done well in the 40s. I like swing dancing and their fashion was adorable. Otherwise, Victorian England. I'd also feel the need to check out the middle ages, if only to be a true-life assist on my dissertation. I also want to get my hands on some of those manuscripts.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Giftee, do you have any specific requirements for jewelry?

And how do you feel about notebooks/journals?
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.