Thread: Porcelain/ceramic hair sticks

Length
    WL/TBL+/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Porcelain/ceramic hair sticks

I figured I'd start a thread about this since one doesn't really exist already.

Does anyone have porcelain/ceramic sticks? I've seen them for sale occasionally, but it doesn't seem like a very common material. If you have them, what do you think about them? Do you wish there were more options for hair sticks in this material?

Some examples:
    The shop CricketSongCeramics on Etsy sells a few ceramic hair sticks, like this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/7061289...active_9&frs=1
    Crystalmood has some, like this one: http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-...wers-4726.html
    I have these that I found on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/kilofly-Chine...01ISLTUCQ?th=1 (I liked them back when I was able to use them, but I think I've outgrown them by now)

I also have a pair of ceramic chopsticks that can sort of be used as hair sticks, but they're a little long for my preference and the tips are rather blunt. I don't know if it would be possible/practical to shorten them and sharpen the tips without ruining them.
    Last edited by Elodea; November 12th, 2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
    waist / hip / tailbone+ (40 in.) / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    classic by 2020 / knee by 2021?

Length
    3"/BSL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Porcelain/ceramic hair sticks

Those are beautiful, I especially love the ones from CricketSongCeramics! They look so earthy and boho, really lovely! I can definitely see myself wearing those.

I think for me I would just be a little concerned about dropping and breaking them. But I imagine for those with lots of length, its probably not as likely to spit out of a bun.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Length
    17,5/24/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh, they are pretty, but I would never wear anything like that, personally. Because I'm super clumsy, and my accessories need to be functional and safe. And I would be so sad if I broke something like those, uh...
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oh gosh, I would be so afraid of them breaking! No! No! Just no!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Oh wow they look so gorgeous!! That one from crystalmood is so unique to, i had never seen toys made out of ceramic

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I really like the ones from CricketSongsCeramics.

I don't have any of those but I would be open to it. All of my favorite sticks right now are bone which are fairly breakable. My only problem with these is that the shape might not work with my hair. My hair seems to like flatter sticks instead of round ones.

Are you thinking about getting some of these Elodea? I think the contrast with your hair would look really lovely.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Length
    WL/TBL+/class
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    Those are beautiful, I especially love the ones from CricketSongCeramics! They look so earthy and boho, really lovely! I can definitely see myself wearing those.

I think for me I would just be a little concerned about dropping and breaking them. But I imagine for those with lots of length, its probably not as likely to spit out of a bun.
    Yes, they have an interesting earthy look to them and I don't think that's as common of a look for hair toys.
    Back when I got them, I didn't really have problems with the green porcelain sticks I got from Amazon falling out, but now that my hair has grown 5 or 6 inches, I don't think they fit as securely as they used to (and therefore would be more likely to fall out and break) so I haven't really been wearing them recently.

The ceramic hair sticks (and chopsticks that aren't quite suited to be used as hair sticks in their current state) that I currently have seem like they're pretty strong as far as standing up to torque in a bun goes (so I don't worry about snapping them due to that), but I don't think they'd survive if they fell out/dropped onto a hard surface. So making sure a ceramic stick fits well/securely is important if you want it to remain intact. They also are on the heavier side, so you need to have enough hair to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I really like the ones from CricketSongsCeramics.

I don't have any of those but I would be open to it. All of my favorite sticks right now are bone which are fairly breakable. My only problem with these is that the shape might not work with my hair. My hair seems to like flatter sticks instead of round ones.

Are you thinking about getting some of these Elodea? I think the contrast with your hair would look really lovely.
    I don't really know how the shape might work (or not) in my or your hair. One of my sticks (the squiggly one in my profile pic) used to fit quite well, but now it slides out more often and I think it's because my hair got longer. So that shape and length of stick used to work for me, but doesn't work as well anymore. Maybe a rounder stick of a different length (and/or diameter?) might work for you? Texture of the stick material could also play a role.

The CricketSongCeramics sticks are definitely interesting looking and I could see myself wearing a stick like that. Unfortunately the length of the sticks isn't mentioned in the listings! I guess I'll have to contact the seller and ask about that if I want to get one of those sticks. Apparently she does custom orders, so I might also inquire about that and perhaps get a custom stick made and I'd be able to choose the color/length and all that.

The Crystalmood stick looks like it's a bit short to be used as a single stick for my current length of hair, but I guess I could potentially get a pair to use for double buns. I do like the look of that stick as well.

I wish ceramic were a more common material for hair sticks so there'd be more options to choose from!
    waist / hip / tailbone+ (40 in.) / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    classic by 2020 / knee by 2021?