Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How long is it possible to grow using mostly braids and paranda braids?

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: How long is it possible to grow using mostly braids and paranda braids?

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    I get the shoulder strap of my bag caught in my hair any time my hair is down. Even when I carefully maneuver my hair away from the bag some stray floaty hair manages to get under that darn strap. *sigh*
    Oh! is that what was meant by "shoulder straps"? That makes sense.

I assumed that she meant tank top straps. whoops.
    The sun has risen, you are awake. This symmetry is not without meaning. Welcome to Night Vale

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: How long is it possible to grow using mostly braids and paranda braids?

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    If I had to wear my hair down I would probably cut it all off.

There are various motivations behind "wear it up". I, and I am not alone in this, wear my hair up the majority of the time because I greatly dislike the feeling of having it on my neck or in my face, or generally having any of the fine floaty hairs flying all over the place. Tickling the back of my arms. . . *shudder* I've had SUPER short hair cuts many times in my life because of this. BUT, there isn't much I can do with super short cuts in terms of styling it. Braids are possible but extremely challenging on those lengths. Ornaments are limited to tiny clips and headbands. I was always relieved when my hair was finally long enough to braid again.

So, combine not LIKING it down with all the style options that LHC introduced me to, and you get mostly pictures of me wearing it up.

I've never had an issue with growing my hair past the usual problematic markers such as MBL or waist length, but then before LHC I simply wore it in a braid all the time to keep it out of my way. (My mother has classic length hair which she almost always wears braided.) Which brings me to the second reason why people may be wearing their hair up: they stalled at one of those markers or they were not happy with the quality of their hair and felt that it needed extra protection.

My son's hair is MBL with a blunt hemline. His hair looks great. However, because he wears it loose all the time (except when I remember to braid it for him at night) the last few inches are really rough to the touch. Hes a kid and he is hard on his hair. Someday if that bothers him he can decide to change his habits, cut it shorter so it isn't caught on everything all the time, or not let it bother him.

Some people can wear their hair down all the time and grow hair that pleases them. Some have to modify their habits to grow the hair that pleases them. Some have short terminals and no behavior modifications will change that.

The advice to treat your hair like old lace is aimed at those people who are unhappy with the quality of their hair as a guideline for behavior modifications that might help. No guarantees though.

If YOU are happy, be happy! If you come across an issue, there are plenty of experienced heads to help you troubleshoot.

I see most of the new member applications. The vast majority come saying they are here because something about their hair is bothering them and they are looking for advice. Others are here because pampering their hair is their hobby and they want to discuss deep treatments and masks, or are interested in herbs, or all about the henna, or. . .so many different reasons.

Me, I'm here for the styles.

And the fun thing? All of that is here! Pick the threads that interest you, ignore the ones that don't. (I don't think I've ever cracked open the epic henna thread - did that once as a teen, hated the smell and it didn't change the color of my brown hair.)

How long is it possible to grow using mostly braids and paranda braids? That really depends on your individual hair: you can grown as long as your genes and environment will allow.
    Thank you for such a lovely concise response. I truly appreciate you. You seem like a very thoughtful person and as such you give kind well thought out responses.

I think part of the problem that has been brewing for me is more than just not liking the look of buns. I also enjoy the tactile experience that you don't like about wearing your hair down. I want to feel it against me, I like it in my face and I find it generally comforting. Not only have I not found a non braided bun that I like aesthetically on me I also just love my hair down. Braids seem like a good in between to me I guess. I want to feel my hair but I don't want it to get ripped off by the backs of chairs.

Hopefully, I can grow to TBL with mostly braids and parandas. If not I guess I will just maintain a bit longer.
    Last edited by jane_marie; November 11th, 2019 at 07:58 PM.
    The sun has risen, you are awake. This symmetry is not without meaning. Welcome to Night Vale

Length
    28"/34"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by The-Young-Maid View Post
    You really don't need to wear buns. I got lots of damage from wearing them because my hair is too heavy/fine and ends up pulling on individual hairs. I'll be classic length in a couple months by only wearing my hair down or in a braid. So its safe to say I'm not going back to buns. *Free the Hair*

I've been getting this vibe lately that if you don't wear your hair up you'll never be a "true longhair". Or that your hair will look terrible/damaged. Like, sorry but I've seen plenty of hair I wasn't crazy about and it was worn up all the time(my old hair included). So wear it however you want because there literally aren't any rules. Just do whatever makes you happy, I don't think there's enough of that here. Also, Normies don't even know the difference between fairytale ends and breakage so why are we so obsessed??

I *can* grow long without bunning and I *will*
    If this is directed at me, I'm sorry I came off that way!! I didn't mean to sound discouraging to people who don't bun. My hair is fine and curly, so if I wear my hair down loose for more than a day or two, it will literally start to mat. Maybe that just gives me a "stricter" view of haircare, because if I didn't wear buns, I would never get anywhere at all Clearly there are people like Ylva who can wear their down daily and still have gorgeous hair, and if you can too, or you care about other things more, it's your own hair to enjoy as you wish.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    BCL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Clearly there are people like Ylva who can wear their down daily and still have gorgeous hair

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I think part of the problem that has been brewing for me is more than just not liking the look of buns. I also enjoy the tactile experience that you don't like about wearing your hair down. I want to feel it against me, I like it in my face and I find it generally comforting. Not only have I not found a non braided bun that I like aesthetically on me I also just love my hair down. Braids seem like a good in between to me I guess. I want to feel my hair but I don't want it to get ripped off by the backs of chairs.

Hopefully, I can grow to TBL with mostly braids and parandas. If not I guess I will just maintain a bit longer.
    This is an interesting observation and I can definitely relate to it! I see hair as an important extension of the human body that plays a critical role in self-expression on many levels of which most are very primitive. That's why I don't feel emotionally comfortable with my hair in a bun (even though I sometimes choose to wear it that way), it feels like I've muted one part of myself. I'm not saying that one cannot express themselves through buns because there certainly are many wonderful styles full of character and whatnot, but at this point of my life, I do not feel a particularly strong connection to them.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.
    TBL by Yule 2020 | Classic by Yule 2020 | No-trimming 2020, first half

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post

This is an interesting observation and I can definitely relate to it! I see hair as an important extension of the human body that plays a critical role in self-expression on many levels of which most are very primitive. That's why I don't feel emotionally comfortable with my hair in a bun (even though I sometimes choose to wear it that way), it feels like I've muted one part of myself. I'm not saying that one cannot express themselves through buns because there certainly are many wonderful styles full of character and whatnot, but at this point of my life, I do not feel a particularly strong connection to them.
    Very well-said. I love what you said here: "I've muted one part of myself." This is something I feel, too!

Jane_marie, I hope you are not feeling discouraged. And I hope you find what works for you! From what I've observed on LHC, there is no definitive answer. It seems a lot of individuals can grow their hair long wearing braids exclusively while others find it damaging. Here is a thread you may be interested in (sorry, I just have one thread to share but I am working from home but cannot spend too long on here!) : "Braids versus buns - For daily wear".

Branching off of what neko_kawaii shared (which was a very lovely, thoughtful post as Jane_marie said), I would like to add I've stuck around LHC as a lurker and a member despite knowing I am an exception from the norm here. People visit and join LHC for a myriad of reasons. My hair is by no means "healthy" or even probably "beautiful" by LHC standards, but it looks and feels pretty/nice to the "non-LHC eye" or so I've been told, and it's retaining length and not growing slowly by any means. If my hair was worse off, I would practice more caution and follow more LHC guidelines, as I did when I first joined and was able to nurse my hair back to normal in many ways. Now I am just enjoying the effects of that and doing my thing. I hope you stay on LHC and are able to comfortably continue asking questions and sharing your experiences.

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Cool. Are there any buns you have found that look a bit more... bohemian/soft/romantic? I would be open to attempting to learn softer looking things once it's long enough for me to deal with the thickness.
    I don't really care for the completely slick back everything in its place types of buns on myself either. When I wear buns I I always wear them high up so you can see them from the front. My favorite is a simple knot bun since you can fluff this bun up real nice. Any variation on a sock bun is also good. I also always slightly tug the roots up to get volume and pull out my baby hairs around my forehead and ears to get a soft framing.

Length
    3"/BSL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I don't really care for the completely slick back everything in its place types of buns on myself either. When I wear buns I I always wear them high up so you can see them from the front. My favorite is a simple knot bun since you can fluff this bun up real nice. Any variation on a sock bun is also good. I also always slightly tug the roots up to get volume and pull out my baby hairs around my forehead and ears to get a soft framing.
    That sounds lovely! Those are great tips. I personally love high buns and also prefer to see the bun from the front. I can imagine with your kind of length and added volume to the roots that would look really romantic and soft!
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee93 View Post
    Branching off of what neko_kawaii shared (which was a very lovely, thoughtful post as Jane_marie said), I would like to add I've stuck around LHC as a lurker and a member despite knowing I am an exception from the norm here. People visit and join LHC for a myriad of reasons. My hair is by no means "healthy" or even probably "beautiful" by LHC standards, but it looks and feels pretty/nice to the "non-LHC eye" or so I've been told, and it's retaining length and not growing slowly by any means. If my hair was worse off, I would practice more caution and follow more LHC guidelines, as I did when I first joined and was able to nurse my hair back to normal in many ways. Now I am just enjoying the effects of that and doing my thing. I hope you stay on LHC and are able to comfortably continue asking questions and sharing your experiences.
    Thanks so much for that link!

I'm by no means thinking about leaving LHC but I do think I'm going to mostly do braids, and wear my hair loose for awhile. I'm conflicted on things. I really like having long hair because I like having it down. Since I'm not going for extreme lengths maybe that'll be okay if not I think I would much rather have it stay the length it's at instead of getting to my goal of TB and being bound to wearing it up all of the time.

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Thanks for the tips! These might work for me because I do tend to like buns more when they are more messy and when they have a more top of the head placement like a sock bun. I'll play around with these ideas a bit . (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thanks so much for this reply.

Like I mentioned in my response to Ylva I can certainly understand why buns can be useful for people who are aiming for super long hairs. It makes a lot of sense as far as that goes.

Personally, I have pretty much decided that I only want to get to TBL. So, the purpose of this post was to figure out if that is possible. I think that given my hair history it just might be possible for me though there is no way for me to know without testing it out. So, I think that's what I'm going to do. As luck would have it, my hair tends to grow pretty quickly. So, more micro trimming might be something I am willing to deal with to live move or less bun free while growing it out.

I appreciate your response... especially how balanced it was. I think it's nice that although you are pro-bun you expressed that not everyone's hair type is the same or that your experience does not necessarily reflect of everyone.
    You're welcome I'm glad I had the chance to readjust and rebalance my own viewpoint thanks to this thread, because my own experience was that I had to chop off all my growth every year because it was so raggedy, cycling between hip and TBL before I discovered non-damaging buns. I used to wear it in a cinnabun held with an elastic, or a braid (secured with an elastic) or a ponytail (not often, I didn't realise it was damaging but hair just got everywhere). So I am very much pro-bun and I will always recommend it to start with, but I truly appreciate the reminder from this thread particularly that we are all different - and that not everyone is going for the longest lengths!

neko's comment reminded me of an aspect that I'd forgotten, the need to have it out of my face. I've always been that way, to the point that I would pull out my wispy hairs when they bothered me too much. That's the main reason it was mostly bunned then (albeit inadvertently destroying my ends) so again, quite a fundamental difference in the hair experience. If I couldn't keep my hair up I don't know what I'd do with myself; I've never wanted short hair so I wouldn't chop it off, but it would genuinely send me crazy (I have had major MH problems in the past so I don't say that lightly). I guess for me it's almost a case of, well I'm keeping it contained all the time anyway so it might as well grow! Stealth longhair

Ylva that's a really interesting point about expression - it's not something I would *ever* have thought of so thank you for sharing.
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Half-inching onwards to Calf.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness