Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Amish-Type Pins

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Bigger Amish-Type Pins

Hi! Does anyone know where to find longer (maybe wider) Amish-style pins? I've searched online without any luck, but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. The pins that I use all the time are the 3 inch straight Amish pins. I love that they're lightweight and simple. They completely disappear in a bun and don't put any tension on my scalp. They're just getting to be a little too small and some longer/wider ones (4 or 5 inches) would be ideal. (I've tried the quattro pins/forks, but they're heavier.)

Thanks in advance!!
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Bigger Amish-Type Pins

Quote Originally Posted by AshtangiPNW View Post
    Hi! Does anyone know where to find longer (maybe wider) Amish-style pins? I've searched online without any luck, but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. The pins that I use all the time are the 3 inch straight Amish pins. I love that they're lightweight and simple. They completely disappear in a bun and don't put any tension on my scalp. They're just getting to be a little too small and some longer/wider ones (4 or 5 inches) would be ideal. (I've tried the quattro pins/forks, but they're heavier.)

Thanks in advance!!
    I've looked in vain for 4" or 5" Amish pins as slender as the 3"-ers. If there's something out there, it isn't well advertised. I use more 3" Amish pins the longer my hair gets. It works, but gets less convenient all the time (said the sloth who dislikes spending > 10 seconds fixing hair).

I could have sworn GOSSAMER https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=28636 posted or blogged about her long hair pins

I cannot find it, but if you message her I bet she can help you (in case she doesn't see this thread)
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; November 9th, 2019 at 05:06 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Look at these, they are tempting, no?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1833402..._click=1&pro=1

And these:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7196718..._click=1&col=1

Just poke around Etsy and enter "u pins" as a search term.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    I've looked in vain for 4" or 5" Amish pins as slender as the 3"-ers. If there's something out there, it isn't well advertised. I use more 3" Amish pins the longer my hair gets. It works, but gets less convenient all the time (said the sloth who dislikes spending > 10 seconds fixing hair).
    Yes! I like that the 3" style ones are slender, too. I don't notice them at all once I've placed them in the bun. ....and I don't like to spend much time fiddling with extra pins either.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    I could have sworn GOSSAMER https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=28636 posted or blogged about her long air pins

I cannot find it, but if you message her I bet she can help you (in case she doesn't see this thread)
    Oh, that would be great. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, GG.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Look at these, they are tempting, no?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1833402..._click=1&pro=1

And these:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7196718..._click=1&col=1

Just poke around Etsy and enter "u pins" as a search term.
    Thanks, lapushka! That second type might work if I don't find the longer Amish pins, but it doesn't indicate a length. The first ones are only 2.5 inches long. This seems to be the norm (between 1.5-3 inches) for this type of pin...I was just hoping that there were longer ones that I was overlooking. I also like that the Amish pins are super inexpensive, and I can buy a pack of them for $5 or so.
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~

That girl with the hair The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Length
    ./FTL+/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

The nice pack I bought like 6 years ago was from Mennonite Maidens. Not sure if I ordered through Etsy or Amazon that time. But they were 3" pins. I don't think I've seen anything much longer that comes in a set.

I just found these They are more like 4" i think?
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The trouble with so many of these (especially the cheaper ones) is the ends are not hair-friendly. I have some 4-inch crinkled pins I bought out of curiosity, and I can't use them because they catch and I don't have the energy to file them down.

I'll see if I can find that discussion on the buns thread, I think it was. ... Okay, the recommendations from that discussion were 3-inch crinkled pins by Mennonite Maidens, or (speculatively) the ones The-Young-Maid just linked [the original maker of large pins already owned by the likes of gossamer and Ligeia Noire was CraftsUtopia on Etsy, who are no longer around.]

Any metalworkers on LHC, there's a modest gap in the market here!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I wonder whether these will do for your purpose, they are just simple U pins, they are 4.5 inches long:

https://www.amazon.com/Healifty-Shap...dp/B07LCHM337/

"Do you ever feel like a misfit? Everything inside you is dark and twisted
    but it's okay to be different
    'cause baby, so am I" ~So Am I

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

If you like DIY stuff here are instructions for making them:

Find wire of the right gauge (size).

Use wire clippers to cut a piece of wire twice the length you want the pin to be + the width + a little bit extra.

Bend the wire where you want the bends to be using pliers.

File the ends to rounded points.

Sand any bits that aren't smooth.

This also works for basic hair forks.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I wonder if it might be possible to ask one of the websites that sells the pins if a custom order of longer pins would be possible. Especially if there are a lot of people here who are looking for them.