Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New here! Protein damage, sticky & oh so dry! Please help!

Default Re: New here! Protein damage, sticky & oh so dry! Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Maybe get yourself a good old-fashioned harsh sulfate (like say the Pantene volumizing: sulfates, no silicones), and try that. Pantene always works for me, but that's me.
    What will that do, clarify the hair? Do you mean the conditioner or the shampoo? (I’ve spend so much money on products the last 2 months!) x

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Bizarre, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. As the Tresemme doesn't seem to be cutting it, maybe it is time for something heavy-duty. Pantene is a good suggestion, or Herbal Essences if they have a 'detox' / 'deep cleanse' / volumising one.

The really weird thing is, I think Nexxus contains protein too, though there could be different versions and you used one without - which one was it you were using?
    Yeah it does contain protein! Which is why I find it so weird. It was perfect with the Nexxus, the M&T made it feel awful and now it doesn’t get on with anything. I wish I had never used the bloody M&T. My hair has never reacted with proteins or anything before. It’s like it’s completely coated with something. I keep saying crispy but a better word would be crunchy. When it’s shampooed it feels crunchy but dry. Think a whole can of mousse mixed with dry shampoo. That’s how it feels. ��

I’m still worried the clarifying or detoxing is going to make my hair more fragile, because I don’t know what’s wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    Hi, I'm late to the conversation. Something that struck me is that you said your hair goes static when you go outside and that's a new thing? Perhaps it's not just shampoos and conditioners and water to blame, perhaps the air where you are has suddenly gotten drier?
    This happened this week where I live, everything went from normal moisture in the air to static everywhere and everything is super dry. I used my most moisturizing conditioner and it barely worked. No other changes happened in my routine.

I'm not sure how to work with that, my own hair is crispier from the change, but maybe with that factor in mind some further suggestions can be made?
    I do think the cold weather has affected it but how it feels when it’s washed is something else, just wish I knew what. Thank you though.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    I like this advice. To clarify your hair will sort of 'reset' it, then you can move back to what you were using, or something with less protein. Perhaps there's residual product from the mane n tail in there, creating a barrier.

How often do you shampoo? Perhaps you could try some 'cowashing' (conditioner only)? Some people wash their hair with just a silicone free conditioner. Although, if it is mineral build up that wouldn't help. It rings alarm bells that your hair was totally ok before the mane n tail. My guess is that perhaps it's gone back to being crunchy because the 'damage' that's happened with the protein isn't really going to just disappear on its own. I dyed mine and it became like that, I'm still dealing with it in my ends now!
    Honestly I'd just go easy on the shampoo, load up on conditioner and then while your hair is still damp I'd run a couple of drops of Argan, jojoba or almond oil through it, focussing on the ends. If that doesn't help then mineral build up might be something worth looking at!
    I just saw your message sorry. I shampoo every wash, I’m not overly sure how to was with just conditioner, especially as I get greasy roots? Does the damage ever go? Or is it a case of waiting for it to grow out? That’s a whole load of waiting! X

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Well if it's actually damaged (rather than just feeling cruddy) then yes, you can't really 'repair' the damage but you can sort of smooth it over.
    I like Lapushka's suggestion of going in with a heavy duty shampoo to clarify your hair and 'start fresh'. That might be best, and from there you could always try cowashing with a gentle conditioner.
    I stand by saying that post-wash you should oil your lengths and ends, just 2-3 drops, with a softening oil like argan, jojoba or almond oil whilst the hair is damp.
    Do let us know how you go with it xx!!
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Wrong thread
    Last edited by Ylva; November 22nd, 2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: I was in the wrong place
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links