View Poll Results: At what point do you start to consider hair "long"?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoulder Length

3 1.27%
  • Arm Pit Length

17 7.17%
  • Bra Strap Length

50 21.10%
  • Waist Length

93 39.24%
  • Hip length

22 9.28%
  • Tail Bone Length

24 10.13%
  • Classic Length

22 9.28%
  • Knee Length

5 2.11%
  • Beyond Knee Length

1 0.42%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long is long to you?

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How long is long to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I view between around waist as the beginning of "long" hair. Hip-tailbone length is fairly common where I live so that probably has an influence on my answer. I think it also depends on the person and their height, BSL on me isn't very long because I'm only 5'2 but BSL on others looks way more substantial.
    Yep, I think generally around the waist area is when I consider hair to be long, both on other people and myself. I do kind of wonder if I'd have a different perception of long if I were much taller, like 5'10" or something like that, since I'm actually rather short at 5'0".

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Previous threads have generally shown that what we consider long on others and what we consider long on ourselves are different.

It's also subjective even here, for me, because you see someone's start and their progress so what's relatively long *for them* in one's own opinion, is different for everyone. E.g. someone starts at collarbone length, waist on then will make me think 'wow their hair is so long now!' whereas for someone starting at waist, BCL/TBL is probably where I'd think 'wow their hair is long now!'.

There's also a difference between starting to consider it long - which for me implies balancing external factors such as knowing someone's probably had to put effort into growing it (I put zero effort into growing my hair before LHC and I was always around hip-TBL, so my perception of 'long' on others actually got a bit shorter after learning here that it's not always that easy for people to grow that long!) and intrinsically just thinking 'it's long'.

I don't know, basically!
    I also was generally somewhere around waist to hip/TBL pre LHC, although now my perception of "long" on other (non-LHC) people has become different: waist length is long, but I also realize there are people who have hair much longer than that. Pre LHC, I never really thought about the concept of someone having hair longer than hip-length since that's not very common to see where I live.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that now I have a more expanded view of "long" -- I can consider anything from waist to floor+ long, depending on the context. Whereas before LHC, I just thought of long as being from waist to hip/TBL, since back then I had never really thought much about people whose hair was longer than hip/TBL, because I rarely/never saw them and it just wasn't something I considered as a tangible possibility/option.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Young-Maid View Post
    Oh my this is difficult. For the general public waist is long. I think waist on other people is long. But on myself I don't think it'll feel long until at least classic. On LHC and myself I think classic + is long. Because around classic is when people have to actively tend to their hair and growing longer than that seems a conscious choice not just "Oh I just haven't cut in a while/it grows fast lolz".
    For LHC (and myself, to some extent and relatively speaking), I also consider classic+ to be long since as you said, that's when it starts to become more of an effort to grow/maintain hair at that length. But if my hair were just around waist length (and this goes for the general public too), I'd still consider it long, although not that long by LHC standards.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

It depends. On myself i started thinking my hair was long when I reached hip length for the first time. Even though it was mostly split ends I finally started thinking my hair was long, but i had it trimmed and I'm just shy of reaching it again. My sister has shoulder length hair and I think it's long on her, but if i see someone in public with waist length i don't consider it long at all. If they have hip length then yes ill think that their hair long.

I voted "armpit length", which is closest to what I perceive as long on a woman. Where hair starts to be long is subjective; For years, my personal rule of thumb has been that shoulder-length is long-ish but still "medium" length hair and that hair gets to be "long" when it reaches roughly the tips of the shoulder blades (the length of the neck can also play a factor in the perception). From my perspective, you don't need to reach anything like classic length in order for me to perceive your hair as long.

I'm not sure at what point I would consider a man's hair as long, though. I would definitely consider a bob on a man to be long, but possibly also some shag or something. Not clear where I would draw the line exactly.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

On myself, it needs to be TBL before I think/feel that my hair is long. On others, perhaps waist.

Right now as it's between hip and BCL, I sometimes look at people with BSL hair and wonder which one of us has longer hair.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Iv had classic hair length for long time. It's not growing beyond that. It starts becoming weak and then I have to trim it off. But I want MTL. ♥️ Trying my best.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I think waist length is long. When I was growing my hair out from chin length to shoulder length. Shoulder length felt long on me, and then APL and BSL felt long me after that. Then, when it reached MBL it really felt long on me, and after MBL then come WL. Now, that really feels like it's getting longer on me.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I consider hair to be "long" once it gets past arm pit length, between chin and APL is medium, anything beyond waist is very long
    Even waist length hair here isn't super common. It's not rare necessarily, but I see way more bra strap length and shorter.
    There's a good number of pacific islander families here though, and I've seen some impressive beautiful hair thanks to them! And a lot of them wear it down too!
    My partner is chamorro as well so when she has long hair she doesn't have to do much to it either, it stays healthy and beautiful even when she ignores it altogether.

I think it's always going to be subjective! What you're exposed to is going to shape your views

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

SL and APL are short. I mean seriously nothing holds on APL and buns look puny (the puny bun thread rings a bell?)
    from MBL to HL I call it medium. it's next level styling and if you want to reach HL give up the styling into submission.
    anything beyond HL is long: HL is the minimum length to present in a long hair show (learned this in fact from Real Rapunzels yt channel)
    I'd add beyond floor beying extreme length, because dragging your hair on the floor is... well that hair is definitely rare to see and you should be carefuly because of damage while dragging your hair on the floor for a photo/video shoot or something.
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by leayellena View Post
    SL and APL are short. I mean seriously nothing holds on APL and buns look puny (the puny bun thread rings a bell?)
    Buns are only 'puny' if they are small *relative to the length of hair* - so a small bun at APL is to be expected, it's not puny
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    23.5"/23.5"/Term.
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/ii/iii

I think BSL is the beginning of long hair on myself and others, but waist length is actually long. It's rare to see women with longer than waist length hair around my area so that may have something to do with it. The longest my hair has been is MBL, so I feel once I finally reach waist length my hair will feel "long" instead of "longish".