Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: History of LHC

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: History of LHC

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Don't you still need 1,000 posts or so to become a guru?
    I have no idea - never see anybody listed as a guru nowadays, do you?
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Don't you still need 1,000 posts or so to become a guru?
    Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    I have no idea - never see anybody listed as a guru nowadays, do you?
    1000 posts is when you can edit your member title and promote things to articles; I'm not sure what else (maybe an animated avatar or sigpic? I can't remember). But I don't think 'guru' is a title used any more.
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Half-inching onwards to Calf.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    28"/34"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I'm too new to contribute much to this thread, but I do know one very very useful thing that has to do with the site's history: How to see (some) vanished pictures .

Prior to a few years ago, photo links on this site started with "http://" but that has changed to "https://" since. That one litle missing letter "s" is what makes a lot of the old photos invisible. So, if you're reading old posts and someone implies that a picture accompanies the post but you don't see ANYTHING there, not even a "photobucket error" sign, try this:

1) hit "reply with quote"
    2) look for a long URL that magically appears in the post where a picture should be
    3) type in an "s" to make it "https://"
    4) copy and paste the URL you just modified into a new window

I'll try to demonstrate below! This is what it looks like in the thread, there's no picture:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adiro View Post
    Not to brag too much, but I wear another new one today, it's the new dark amethyst lotus, also from Quasi! I love this one also, but then few I don't love lol... It's not as dark as I thought it would be....

Cloudy day, I don't have a picture in the sun...
    But when you quote it and look at the code, a bad link appears where a pic should be:

[QUOTE. =Adiro;059894]Not to brag too much, but I wear another new one today, it's the new dark amethyst lotus, also from Quasi! I love this one also, but then few I don't love lol... It's not as dark as I thought it would be....

[img]http.://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/222a90894bb85a499c0212842a204987.jpg[/IMG][/.QUOTE]

And when I add an "s":
    Quote Originally Posted by Adiro View Post
    Not to brag too much, but I wear another new one today, it's the new dark amethyst lotus, also from Quasi! I love this one also, but then few I don't love lol... It's not as dark as I thought it would be....

If you want to see what it looks like in a thread, I pulled this quote from https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...3005&page=2406 and it's post 24054. (I just picked a totally random one, Adiro, if you're still around let me know and I'll use another post) Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by Spikey; November 7th, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    Way back, we used to have "group orders" - in which members could join to order large quatities of some item. I joined in a microfiber towel order. Somewhere I have the paperwork from the package my towel came in, and I paid by personal check as I didn't have PayPal and such available. Yes, I still have the towel. It's large, and it was originally intended for a large *dog*! Because we long-hairs couldn't find microfiber towels the right size for our hair. It was organized by drblue79, in December of 2005. I feel as though the "feedback score" is connected with the group orders.
    I wasn't on that group order, but I am still using my giant dog towel!

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I'm too new to contribute much to this thread, but I do know one very very useful thing that has to do with the site's history: How to see (some) vanished pictures.

Prior to a few years ago, photo links on this site started with "http://" but that has changed to "https://" since. That one litle missing letter "s" is what makes a lot of the old photos invisible. So, if you're reading old posts and someone implies that a picture accompanies the post but you don't see ANYTHING there, not even a "photobucket error" sign, try this:

1) hit "reply with quote"
    2) look for a long URL that magically appears in the post where a picture should be
    3) type in an "s" to make it "https://"
    4) copy and paste the URL you just modified into a new window

I'll try to demonstrate below! This is what it looks like in the thread, there's no picture:

But when you quote it and look at the code, a bad link appears where a pic should be:

[QUOTE. =Adiro;059894]Not to brag too much, but I wear another new one today, it's the new dark amethyst lotus, also from Quasi! I love this one also, but then few I don't love lol... It's not as dark as I thought it would be....

[img]http.://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p426/Adiro13/222a90894bb85a499c0212842a204987.jpg[/IMG][/.QUOTE]

And when I add an "s":

If you want to see what it looks like in a thread, I pulled this quote from https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...3005&page=2406 and it's post 24054.
    Oh wow that is useful! I've been back in the depths of 2008 recently and there is a LOT of missing images and broken links to sites that don't exist anymore. Nice.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by trolleypup View Post
    I wasn't on that group order, but I am still using my giant dog towel!
    Just to give people here a hint... these days the sports section often has microfiber bath towels, and they are without the loops on them, so totally smooth. I bought 2 (Aldi) and my mom turned them into 2 gigantic turbies by sewing the one end shut (longways). These are awesome, and I bet that dog towel is too.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    28"/34"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I'm not sure it works for the pre-2008 site! I've only ever done it on pictures since 2008.... might need to experiment.

EDIT: seems to work for the old forums too
    Last edited by Spikey; November 12th, 2019 at 09:56 PM.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Did LHC follow from another forum with a different name?

Yes. Sorta. There was a site called Long Hair Lovers, but after some crap I can't quite remember, most of us migrated to LHC -- which at that point was a message board type forum. Later, Stephanie took it over and built this home for us with vBulletin.

Before then... there were other sites, such as TLHS.org (now defunct), Hairboutique.com, others that I forget... :P
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Length
    29"/TB/CLSC
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik Guy View Post
    Did LHC follow from another forum with a different name?

Yes. Sorta. There was a site called Long Hair Lovers, but after some crap I can't quite remember, most of us migrated to LHC -- which at that point was a message board type forum. Later, Stephanie took it over and built this home for us with vBulletin.

Before then... there were other sites, such as TLHS.org (now defunct), Hairboutique.com, others that I forget... :P
    There was also that one that got created after a former member got angry and flounced out of LHC. Pretty sure that one is also defunct.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89
    There was also that one that got created after a former member got angry and flounced out of LHC. Pretty sure that one is also defunct.
    That was Untamed Tresses (now defunct).

UTT was formed by a few problematic people who got booted out of LHC. The irony is that those same people eventually got booted out of UTT. It turns out that bad behavior is not welcome anywhere.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)