Thread: Newbie here! Need advice on growing out hair!

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Newbie here! Need advice on growing out hair!

Hey guys!

I'm new to the group and looking for some advice. I used to have long hair, about BSL, and then for some crazy reason decided to chop it all off to about my shoulders and I got layers. I liked it for like a week and then realized that I feel much more like myself when my hair is long. My issue is I've been trying to get it to grow for about a year and I feel like it's stayed the same. My hair stylist recommended I get a trim about every 8 weeks, so that's what I've been doing, but after reading through a few threads on here I'm wondering if I need to stay away from trims for awhile? How will that play out if I have layers? And I know at the end of the day it's all about patience, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I don't remember my hair ever taking this long to grow in the past lol

Any help is much appreciated!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Newbie here! Need advice on growing out hair!

Welcome to the forum.

No wonder your hair is not growing. Hair only grows 1/2 inch a month, that's an inch every 8 weeks. If your stylist takes off an inch (being very conservative), she will take off all of the growth. So yes, trimming that often is definitely not necessary if you want to grow it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Maybe you could try trimming every six months instead? If your ends aren't damaged, why not go a whole year between trims? If you are trimming too often, as lapushka says, you are losing all the growth you made. And... welcome to the forum!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Welcome tiffany!
    I think it depends what your routine is like. If you donīt curl or straighten your hair, if you use the blow-dryer in cool-to-medium settings, if you moisturize it and are careful with combing and detangling I think you can easily let it grow for 4 to 6 months before trimming... especially now that is not super long . Shoulder-length hair is usually pretty "new", and very healthy if virgin or with minor modifications (subtle highlights, babylights...)
    It also depends on your stylist. Is he/she ABSOLUTELY able to trim off very small amounts of hair? Some stylists canīt do them, or canīt be bothered to be precise.

If you like layers, why not keeping them? They usually make buns and braids wispier, but some people like the effect. Youīll see for yourself growing out, if you prefer the reduced bulk of a layered cut or if you prefer a more compact hemline. Also, it depends if you prefer to wear your hair up or down.
    As a fine haired girl, for me layers means more volume above APL, when hair is light and fluffier, but less once I make to BSL I prefer to keep them just in the last 5 centimeters or so, otherwise hair can get a bit inconsistent.
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

Length
    0.25/45/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome! Have you thought about trimming your own hair?

Home is where the heart is

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/HP~TB/HP~TB
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Welcome

I echo self trims less often, to allow for growth and gradual removal of the layers if you choose to go all one length.

This is the easiest method to start IMHO
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...24#post2682424

Occasionally I use this one to fine tune it ...or even use it alone depending on my mood.
    https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

If you stick with them you can always to a compact cut to freshen them.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=117777

But as a person with fine wispy silver, I found layers to be thinning and grew my hair out to one length.

Happy growing ~ enjoy every stage

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I'm a former cosmetologist and I'll be honest with you: That every 8 week rule is bogus.

Even if hair is fairly damaged (bleach, color, heat) trims can usually be pushed to a 1/2" trim once every three months.

If you want to go to a someone to cut your hair, find someone you trust and as soon as you sit down tell them that you want them to access how healthy your hair is. If it seems like they don't know what they're doing... go to someone else. A lot of stylist's bank on people with longer hair thinking they need to go in more often than they do.
    Last edited by jane_marie; November 8th, 2019 at 01:46 PM.
    The sun has risen, you are awake. This symmetry is not without meaning. Welcome to Night Vale

Length
    Pixie/CB/CB
    Type
    1b/F/ii

With trims every eight weeks, about the only growth I would have seen while growing out my pixie would have been in the shorter layers as they were catching up to the length. (As one "fine hair" to another, I understand the love/hate relationship with the layers.)

I've been growing out a pixie since January and am currently collarbone length and still working on growing out the last of the layers. I got my husband to keep my neckline trimmed (trying to avoid the mullet look) until my hair got chin length, then I took a six month break from trims. That was a very looooong six months, but so worth it. In the meantime, the ends of my layers got to looking pretty raggedy but I perservered and gaining new length at the hemline was just the encouragement I needed to keep growing with no trimming.

As I contine to grow out the last of the layers, I'm getting my hubby to trim only 1/2" every two months. I'm thinking about maintaining at collarbone length and can't wait for the last of the raggedy layers to grow out.