Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive Ads

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Aggressive Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    I use Firefox with uBlock Origin. I find it particularly essential with YouTube (you can have YouTube use desktop mode on your phone too and avoid the ads), not only for ads but mostly for searching! You can add filters to keep it from showing you those "other people watched" recommendations. Then I don't get terrible moving thumbnails of gross foot conditions and such when I am trying to look up raspberry trellising systems!
    OMG that recommended feed.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    OMG that recommended feed.
    There is one I can still see in my mind's eye that haunts me with a bunch of ticks on their foot! So gross. That led me to rage research how to block them. Seriously I have never ever looked up anything like that nor am I likely to. I block channels frequently so the mainpage recommendations are reasonable, but then it would show them anyhow when I do a search. And I mean really, I am not kidding when I say I am looking up very very dry farming videos, like the trellising or greenhouse strawberry production, or orchard irrigation. I don't want a whole section of "Things you have already watched" or "Things other people watch" that is totally not related. (A lot of universities and farm groups and conferences have put their lectures online, great stuff! But sometimes it is so hard to find it!)

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    There is one I can still see in my mind's eye that haunts me with a bunch of ticks on their foot! So gross. That led me to rage research how to block them. Seriously I have never ever looked up anything like that nor am I likely to. I block channels frequently so the mainpage recommendations are reasonable, but then it would show them anyhow when I do a search. And I mean really, I am not kidding when I say I am looking up very very dry farming videos, like the trellising or greenhouse strawberry production, or orchard irrigation. I don't want a whole section of "Things you have already watched" or "Things other people watch" that is totally not related. (A lot of universities and farm groups and conferences have put their lectures online, great stuff! But sometimes it is so hard to find it!)
    Oh God and the bad blackheads and acne thumbnails. Yikes. I'm sorry but, there's only so much I can handle. I don't know even how it ends up there. Oh yeah, subbed to Dr Pimple Popper. LOL And subbed to some podiatry channels too (no odd stuff or anything but because of them we were able to change up the tools and my mom's feet now take 1-2H for both feet including pedicure instead of 2 half days, 1 per foot). All that to say is, partly I get why it recommends me weird stuff. It's only fair. Apart from that I am on large family mom's channels (a lot more), grooming channels for dogs & cats (such fun and a lot more), couple of minimal budgetting channels (nothing major), hair channels including how to cut dad's hair, beauty content. I think that's about it.

But that it also does it when you don't even watch the type of content is beyond me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Has anyone else notice on a computer that there are no more bottom "tab" ads but the popups can no longer be dismissed by hitting "enter" on the keyboard?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I'm still getting the bottom ads. I actually didn't know that "enter" worked for the popups before, but I'll try it next time I see one.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    I'm still getting the bottom ads. I actually didn't know that "enter" worked for the popups before, but I'll try it next time I see one.
    Same here.

Be nice or I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

"Enter" does not work for me to get rid of the popup ads (aka Google vignette ads). However, I can click just about anywhere on the screen--doesn't have to be exactly on the "close" button.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

For the ads that pops up "over everything" when trying to open a new thread. I have to click on the x. Nothing else works and the new page won't load until it's done. For the ones popping up from the bottom and covering enough stuff, to be really annoying. I have to press the "down arrow" and then the little arrow remains in the left corner.

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Seriously! What's up with the ear wax ads!? They're disgusting!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/Waist/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Ew! I haven't seen those.
    I mainly get ads for something called Supergoop, which I always read as Superpoop.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com