Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Aggressive Ads

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Aggressive Ads

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll
    So I know how cookies work, and have disabled third party cookies on LHC with no help. :/ My point on the odd ads is that they can't be using cookies at all, because they are not associated with any activity I do on my phone. :|
    I have found evidence of the ads being based on:

• Google's knowledge of your browsing history
      The history can be transmitted directly by Chrome or by trackers on the web sites you visit. Your ISP is likely also selling your browsing history.
    • Google's knowledge of your emails
      If you use Gmail, Google knows your email's contents. Emails are considered very valuable information for targeting ads.
    • Any information gathered by use of Google's apps or services
      This is your search history, Youtube, maps, etc.

Google soaks up information like a sponge.

I take a lot of measures to prevent Google from gathering information about me. I can tell that they work because in the absence of information, Google mainly shows me ads for Google's own services.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/@Hip/@Hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    I have found evidence of the ads being based on:

• Google's knowledge of your browsing history
      The history can be transmitted directly by Chrome or by trackers on the web sites you visit. Your ISP is likely also selling your browsing history.
    • Google's knowledge of your emails
      If you use Gmail, Google knows your email's contents. Emails are considered very valuable information for targeting ads.
    • Any information gathered by use of Google's apps or services
      This is your search history, Youtube, maps, etc.

Google soaks up information like a sponge.

I take a lot of measures to prevent Google from gathering information about me. I can tell that they work because in the absence of information, Google mainly shows me ads for Google's own services.
    Ed
    I recently delved into my privacy policy with google and was amazed at what they collect; it answered all my questions about targeted ads....as you have affirmed (Thank you Ed)!

I turned off everything I could and it reduced my tracking immensely.

That said I just use a lap top....no cell phone = no apps.... which really helps my privacy.

GMAIL was stopped years ago when I saw they read your email

We use Comcast (phone/web/tv) because it is our only option here, and Outlook as an email backup because it is on my laptop, and Comcast email isn't always reliable...in spite of the $

Personal info is not provided unless it is on a locked site (bank etc).... 'incognito mode' could be used but that can be limiting.

I am not paranoid, but prefer my privacy and have little trust in protected sites, as we have had too many security breaches to count :
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; January 12th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

So the default ads for this site (meaning when they aren't getting any info with which to target us) are hair-related and dating women? That second part really makes no sense... unless they are targeting the "observers" of the site moreso than the participants. :/

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny
    I recently delved into my privacy policy with google and was amazed at what they collect; it answered all my questions about targeted ads....as you have affirmed (Thank you Ed)!
    You're welcome!

I had a jaw-dropping experience when I switched car insurance companies. The new insurance company already knew my car's make, model, and VIN number. It turned out that the California DMV has been selling this information.

In short, any information that has commercial value will be gathered and sold.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    So the default ads for this site (meaning when they aren't getting any info with which to target us) are hair-related and dating women? That second part really makes no sense... unless they are targeting the "observers" of the site moreso than the participants. :/
    It clicked in my head that they assume this is a f--ish site, and thus are targeting men who are seeking women.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    Chin/@Hip/@Hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    You're welcome!

I had a jaw-dropping experience when I switched car insurance companies. The new insurance company already knew my car's make, model, and VIN number. It turned out that the California DMV has been selling this information.

In short, any information that has commercial value will be gathered and sold.
    Ed
    WOW....very sad

ETA: and scary!
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; January 12th, 2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    When it comes to the dating ads, I think they are just a default for everywhere, and possibly get more clicks than a lot of things do. I routinely surf with no cookies, a new IP and blank useragent string and they are everywhere

Length
    0"/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I've decided to just turn on adblock and donate when I pull money next time.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Length
    Chin/@Hip/@Hip
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I've decided to just turn on adblock and donate when I pull money next time.
    It works well for me...and I use my anniversary join date as a reminder to donate.