Thread: Indigo over old henna question

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Indigo over old henna question

Hi all!

I've been dabbling with the idea of indigo. Henna orangy-copper has been my signature colour for several years now, so I'm not sold on the idea yet, I just got an itch for big change that doesn't involve chopping (never again!!!)

Anyways on to my question: In terms of the two step process- does step one henna application have to be done right before step two so that the henna is fresh or could I skip right to pure indigo since my hair is already hennaed all over? The length would have not been done recently as I only ever touch up roots.

And please be honest if you think this is an all around bad idea you think I might regret! I know, I know, it all comes down to individual taste but I'm bad at making decisions!!

And if any natural blonettes (which is my natural colour) who use indigo are reading this, could you tell me how you feel the dark hair colour works with your natural colouring? I'm pale with blue eyes but dark-ish eye brows- I'm wondering whether the dark would be flattering

Thanks for any insight!!
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Indigo over old henna question

I think you can do it straight away, but I would not use pure indigo, I would mix about 10% henna in with it, makes it more smooth and the whole process a bit easier.

I think it will turn out *very* *very* dark, though!

Why not put a dark brown on it instead of a black? Just make a 20/80 (indigo/henna) paste for a lighter brown or adjust the percentages for a different type of brown color.

I think straight up black can be quite harsh. I have seen pictures of you once in the past and IMMHO, black is very harsh for you.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think you can do it straight away, but I would not use pure indigo, I would mix about 10% henna in with it, makes it more smooth and the whole process a bit easier.

I think it will turn out *very* *very* dark, though!

Why not put a dark brown on it instead of a black? Just make a 20/80 (indigo/henna) paste for a lighter brown or adjust the percentages for a different type of brown color.

I think straight up black can be quite harsh. I have seen pictures of you once in the past and IMMHO, black is very harsh for you.
    ok that is great info, thanks!
    Yes I think you're right the more I think on it, completely black is probably too much for me, so the suggestion of mixing with henna for more of a brown is a really good idea, thanks for that!

I'm quite tempted, but unsure if I'm ready to let go of the red-head look just yet. Many people irl think the red is my natural colour (fooled them!) and people get sad when redheads dye their hair since it's a rarer colour so I'm a little afraid of getting some flak

No matter what- I will strand test!!!

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think applying indigo right away it's ok, henna does not have to be recently applied if the color is already fixed in your strands.

And when it comes to the color. Well haha. Red hair is quite unique, I'm not going to lie seeing someone with red hair where I live is like seeing an unicorn in real life, it's mesmerizing. But I guess it's more common in other areas and this may be your case.

I would only make sure black hair is something you want for yourself. See sometimes we see something beautiful and think we want it for ourselves when all we really want to do is admire its beauty. We can't have every kind of beauty out there so we have to chose, I'd say if you have something beautiful and *yours* already, keep it.

Maybe dying one strand with no permament dye for a funny change, buying a unique hair toy, or even new clothes could end the urge for change? And if you think you really really want to see yourself with black hair, then do it. But black is really a no-return color, it won't go away. And all this comes from someone with black hair (naturally dark brown, black with indigo).

I'd say if you have the *slightest* doubt, maybe the change you need is something different. Just my two cents But please don't get discouraged by us if it's what you want! changes can be awesome.

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

So first of all yes, you can do indigo on not-too-recently hennaed hair. I do it often, henna and then forget about it for a while and then the indigo when I don't like to see red roots anymore.

But as the others already said, black is a no-return color.
    I was red for years and then decided to go black but I did it in steps, first darkening the color to a brown and then going black. For me, black was a good choice because it fits with me, my personality and my style. But if you're not sure, don't do it all in once!
    Maybe you could try to darken your red first. If your starting color is the one I see in your avatar and signature, you can pass through a wonderful cherry/ruby red and then burgundy, before getting black. This could help you understanding if you see yourself well with a darker and colder color

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    I think applying indigo right away it's ok, henna does not have to be recently applied if the color is already fixed in your strands.

And when it comes to the color. Well haha. Red hair is quite unique, I'm not going to lie seeing someone with red hair where I live is like seeing an unicorn in real life, it's mesmerizing. But I guess it's more common in other areas and this may be your case.

I would only make sure black hair is something you want for yourself. See sometimes we see something beautiful and think we want it for ourselves when all we really want to do is admire its beauty. We can't have every kind of beauty out there so we have to chose, I'd say if you have something beautiful and *yours* already, keep it.

Maybe dying one strand with no permament dye for a funny change, buying a unique hair toy, or even new clothes could end the urge for change? And if you think you really really want to see yourself with black hair, then do it. But black is really a no-return color, it won't go away. And all this comes from someone with black hair (naturally dark brown, black with indigo).

I'd say if you have the *slightest* doubt, maybe the change you need is something different. Just my two cents But please don't get discouraged by us if it's what you want! changes can be awesome.
    The shade of black you have is absolutely lovely (basing on avatar)
    I know what you mean about red hair being like unicorn hair! Even though mine is henna not natural, I feel like I've acheived a realistic red hair colour and maintained it for so long that everyone thinks I am a red head and it might be a shame to throw it away! Of course it should only matter what I think, but I have a herd time deciding whether I really want to change my colour or if it's just that itch for change because I'm bored or antsy or down or something! So I would'nt rush into it and I appreciate your advice because sometimes I need to hear from someone else that I need to think a little longer on it because I am pretty impulsive sometimes!!
    good to know that the step one henna part can be old henna, thank you for the info =)
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicshollow View Post
    So first of all yes, you can do indigo on not-too-recently hennaed hair. I do it often, henna and then forget about it for a while and then the indigo when I don't like to see red roots anymore.

But as the others already said, black is a no-return color.
    I was red for years and then decided to go black but I did it in steps, first darkening the color to a brown and then going black. For me, black was a good choice because it fits with me, my personality and my style. But if you're not sure, don't do it all in once!
    Maybe you could try to darken your red first. If your starting colour is the one I see in your avatar and signature, you can pass through a wonderful cherry/ruby red and then burgundy, before getting black. This could help you understanding if you see yourself well with a darker and colder color
    Yes my avatar, sig pic are my current colour.
    That's wonderful and logical advice to darken in stages to test out the waters! If I went too dark all at once I suppose there's no going back!

as for IRL opinions- My sister says sounds like bad idea! My husband says, cool, change it up! But he would say that to literally any sort of hair change because he does not care one iota about hair

Thank you all for your inpt- I'll mull it all over!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If I had known that years ago, I probably would not have gone through some harsh color changes myself; but some lessons need to be learned the hard way.

Definitely do strand test, Caraid! Good one!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If I had known that years ago, I probably would not have gone through some harsh color changes myself; but some lessons need to be learned the hard way.

Definitely do strand test, Caraid! Good one!
    Oh my, same for me lol I guess some lessons have to be learnt the hard way specially when we are young.

Caraid♫ whatever you decide it will be the right choice for you I'm so so glad your husband is supportive of your choices as well! that is awesome.

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Oh my, same for me lol I guess some lessons have to be learnt the hard way specially when we are young.

Caraid♫ whatever you decide it will be the right choice for you I'm so so glad your husband is supportive of your choices as well! that is awesome.
    yep I can relate to lessons being learned the hard way! (like when I chopped my tbl hair to shoulder, I'll never get over it ) If I did end up going darker and hating the new colour, it'll basically be the same horrible process of growing my hair out yet again! So I will try to remember that I've already learnt my lesson and make sure I'm sure

My husband is great <3 sometimes I get annoyed because I just want some input when making choices instead hearing " uh I dunno either looks good" , but in the end I'm glad because I know it just means he respects my choices and doesn't put much importance on looks