Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACV + S&D bad?

Length
    BCL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: ACV + S&D bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    It's normal for stylists to get excited about ladies going short because they know that means the client will need it cut more regularly. When I cut hair I especially noticed this when a co-worker had a client who decided to get an undercut which has to be kept really short to look right. Often people would give an undercut knowing it wouldn't look flattering saying "Hey, it'll grow back" but meaning "Hey, when it grows back I'll be here".

In a similar vein it's not terribly unusual for people to work harder at learning short cuts while in school. If someone gets a good short cut from a stylist they are likely to be back the next month... with long hair... not so much if the person doesn't get a trim but once a year they might lose the card or just not care who cuts it.

People also tend to get excited about things like heavy bleaching because again, it's a sign that the customer will be back.
    This is something I've also observed. I still think my hairdresser is great, I trust her, she's always appreciated my wishes and she's never done anything I wasn't comfortable with, but actually ensured she cut off less than I requested, but I will say this.

I think her attitude towards me changed gradually as I stopped getting my roots done every 6 weeks. It could just be a coincidence because of the different subjects that came up while I went there, but for example, when I mentioned to her that I'm going to grow out my natural colour and said that I actually like the "road grey that everyone here has", she was just sort of like "mhm...yeah...okay...". Maybe it's her genuine opinion, maybe it's something she's been conditioned to believe, maybe it was deliberate to try and make me feel insecure about my natural colour. I'm most inclined to believe the middle option. Most of all, it made me sad that people think we should hate our dominant natural colour just because it isn't something you commonly see on models and whatnot. But perhaps that's a prime reason to like it more - because it's very difficult to recreate with dye and not that common in other parts of the world.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    0"/MBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    This is something I've also observed. I still think my hairdresser is great, I trust her, she's always appreciated my wishes and she's never done anything I wasn't comfortable with, but actually ensured she cut off less than I requested, but I will say this.

I think her attitude towards me changed gradually as I stopped getting my roots done every 6 weeks. It could just be a coincidence because of the different subjects that came up while I went there, but for example, when I mentioned to her that I'm going to grow out my natural colour and said that I actually like the "road grey that everyone here has", she was just sort of like "mhm...yeah...okay...". Maybe it's her genuine opinion, maybe it's something she's been conditioned to believe, maybe it was deliberate to try and make me feel insecure about my natural colour. I'm most inclined to believe the middle option. Most of all, it made me sad that people think we should hate our dominant natural colour just because it isn't something you commonly see on models and whatnot. But perhaps that's a prime reason to like it more - because it's very difficult to recreate with dye and not that common in other parts of the world.
    I've certainly been privy to situations where stylists would become despondent after seeing a customer that expressed a longing to stop bleaching left the shop. Even in closed door no one ever said anything bad about them. There had been times where they would mention that they are sad or stressed because this person doesn't want to do x anymore because it changes how they'll have to budget.

I would guess that just like any profession the culture changes a lot from country to country though.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    So, I used to work as a hair dresser relatively recently. Being in that industry has given me some insight to how a lot of those people work.

Here are some trends I noticed:

It's normal for stylists to get excited about ladies going short because they know that means the client will need it cut more regularly. When I cut hair I especially noticed this when a co-worker had a client who decided to get an undercut which has to be kept really short to look right. Often people would give an undercut knowing it wouldn't look flattering saying "Hey, it'll grow back" but meaning "Hey, when it grows back I'll be here".

In a similar vein it's not terribly unusual for people to work harder at learning short cuts while in school. If someone gets a good short cut from a stylist they are likely to be back the next month... with long hair... not so much if the person doesn't get a trim but once a year they might lose the card or just not care who cuts it.

People also tend to get excited about things like heavy bleaching because again, it's a sign that the customer will be back.

Generally being a hair stylist is not the best employment for making money. Stylists have to develop their own client bases, rent chairs and make extra money from product sales. It's grueling. So, it's easy to see why some people succumb to things that aren't 100% ethical.

I'm not saying all stylists are like that. That would be an unfair generalization but it's something to be considered.

Most likely with the ACV it's a matter of ignorance. Applying vinegar to hair sounds like a bad idea and most of the time cosmetology school does not teach students about more natural routes like vinegar rinses and henna. Just check out the Brad Mondo video on henna if you'd like proof. haha

I will say that for me I have found that kombucha works better than ACV because the PH is slightly higher. So, if you are doing it a lot it might be worth looking into using kombucha instead. All heads are different though so you are the best judge of which is better for you.

As for S&D... I don't know why she/he would tell you to stop doing it. My guess is that it does have to do with cash flow (the more you remove yourself the more time it will take between trims).

I don't know, these are just thoughts based on what I observed while cutting hair.
    I just learned about the pH levels of hair actually! I just use city water, it's not hard but it definitely isn't the cleanest water? My hair gets dirty pretty fast so im trying out a clarifying shampoo to help with it so i dont have to wash my hair so much. Are there certain hair types that need higher ph levels? I have 1a hair so would this be beneficial for me or does hair type not necessarily matter?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It sounds like your stylist had some opinions, but that's all they were.

Just be sure you're diluting your ACV in plenty of water. I use maybe a teaspoon of white vinegar in a cup and a half (12 oz) of water.

When I lived in a soft water area, vinegar made my hair very frizzy and fly-away; I hated it. Now that I live in a hard water area, vinegar keeps my hair from getting limp and dull looking. Minerals build up on my porous hair fast, but the vinegar seems to strip them away. I have to clarify-wash more often, too.

For me, S&D was a bad habit to get into. I would always find so many splits; it seemed there was no end to them. It was hard to stop once I started a session, and it caused eye strain. After having my hair too short to see the ends for a couple of years, I got out of the habit, which is a good thing for me.