Thread: The minimalist modern style hair toy thread

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The minimalist modern style hair toy thread

Quote Originally Posted by eresh View Post
    Niiiice OTHM, I never knew this shop!
    I was looking for simple but sturdy sticks to use with braided flexis.
    Does OTHM ship to Europe?
    Anyone have a picture of the twisted stick in action? Or the flat one with bling on the end?
    https://overthehawaiianmoon.com/list...cal-hair-stick
    https://overthehawaiianmoon.com/list...ral-hair-stick

EDIT: Oh no, his Etsy says: Sorry, this item doesn’t ship to The Netherlands.
    I have the flat one but without the decoration on the end (there's a little hole where you could add a dangly of your choice though, if you wanted): this is a larger version of my profile pic
    I think I've sort of outgrown this stick by now; the bumps of the squiggly shape aren't playing too nicely with my current hair length and so the stick gradually slips out when I wear it. But in the past it held really well.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Thanks Suortuva! *bookmarked*

Looks great Elodea!

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Anyone have a picture of the twisted stick in action? Or the flat one with bling on the end?

Amazon carries his OTHM line under this name JWL Hawnkoa Products

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    Amazon carries his OTHM line under this name JWL Hawnkoa Products
    That's pretty cool, though still doesn't post to the UK either.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    That's pretty cool, though still doesn't post to the UK either.
    Awwww sorry!

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I have quite a few minimalist hairtoys, and buy from most of the shops mentioned already. For more inspiration and other artisans, I've got action shots in my albums on here with the shops noted (just ask if you need clarification on any abbreviations). Links to albums: page 2, and more recently page 1.

Jim will probably ship to you (or anywhere else in the world) if you enquire about it. When I enquired about shipping to Australia after trying a fork via the swap board, I had a fantastic experience with a bonus fork thrown in as a surprise gift!

Here's a twisted stick in action a few years (and mucho lengtho ago). I no longer have it though, thanks to my daughter snagging it, but found it was a little weighty for me anyway.

Last edited by Crystawni; December 31st, 2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added links to albums
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    I have quite a few minimalist hairtoys, and buy from most of the shops mentioned already. For more inspiration and other artisans, I've got action shots in my albums on here with the shops noted (just ask if you need clarification on any abbreviations).

Jim will probably ship to you (or anywhere else in the world) if you enquire about it. When I enquired about shipping to Australia after trying a fork via the swap board, I had a fantastic experience with a bonus fork thrown in as a surprise gift!

Here's a twisted stick in action a few years (and mucho lengtho ago). I no longer have it though, thanks to my daughter snagging it, but found it was a little weighty for me anyway.

Yes, the OTHM metal sticks can be a little on the heavier side and might be too much/heavy to stay in smaller amounts of hair. I didn't have problems with the weight of my squiggly stick, but wooden sticks are definitely much lighter.
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    Yes, the OTHM metal sticks can be a little on the heavier side and might be too much/heavy to stay in smaller amounts of hair. I didn't have problems with the weight of my squiggly stick, but wooden sticks are definitely much lighter.
    The conical one seemed rather solid, and I found it heavier than the two and three prong metal forks from Jim. It did want to drag a bit, but I reckon it would be more problematic now with the weight of my hair in updos being enough of a headache without the extra heft. The weight kinda reminded me of these Acrylic Candy Shop twisted aluminium sticks that I also find tricky to wear (has to be a good scalp day):

Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Account closed by member request
    Length
    11CBL/33"HL/40CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

ONN has some really great sticks and forks! He also does customs

Ive also found thst lillarose leathers are very minimal yet elegant

A leather paired with an ONN stick

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Crystawni View Post
    The conical one seemed rather solid, and I found it heavier than the two and three prong metal forks from Jim. It did want to drag a bit, but I reckon it would be more problematic now with the weight of my hair in updos being enough of a headache without the extra heft. The weight kinda reminded me of these Acrylic Candy Shop twisted aluminium sticks that I also find tricky to wear (has to be a good scalp day):
    I only have the squiggly stick so I don't know how the other OTHM forks/sticks compare. Interestingly enough, I have this metal nail (it's from a hardware store) that I've often used as a stick and it's definitely very heavy. I should weigh it some time on a food scale... This isn't a particularly good photo of it or my hair in general, but it does show how it looks. I don't think the weight has really been a problem for me since my hair is decently heavy itself, but not everyone wants a super heavy hair toy. I have a wood stick (about 3/8 of an inch in diameter?) with a resin topper that feels as light as air in comparison to this nail.
    knee by 2021?