Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The minimalist modern style hair toy thread

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The minimalist modern style hair toy thread

I have a few of their slides from years ago. They are amazing! It's cool they are on Etsy now. I have always shopped directly from their site.
    Last edited by DweamGoiL; April 22nd, 2021 at 08:11 PM.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Foreveryours, your braided bun is so cool and is a good look on you. Iím the same that buns have to hold rock solid as Iím very active. Youíve inspired me to attempt a braided bun again, though mine are never neat - though you have much more length which probably helps
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    scalp/50/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Foreveryours, your braided bun is so cool and is a good look on you. Iím the same that buns have to hold rock solid as Iím very active. Youíve inspired me to attempt a braided bun again, though mine are never neat - though you have much more length which probably helps
    Thankyou Feral_. That one held the rest of the afternoon before I had to take it out since it refused to fall out on its own. So keeping the braid may be a more correct path for me.

The forks lakhesis posted [#99] gave me an idea to make a giant U pin (more technically known as bent scrap) and try that soon. Two tines seem so much better than one.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Thanks for taking the time elodea, You too have pretty thick hair. I'm sure that is a signficant factor in hold.

While I've tried a few more times I haven't yet had my ah ha moment with hair sticks holding loose hair well. It's critical for me that my hair be secure, very secure, as I do move around, vigorously and a lot.

Bunning my braid rather than loose hair is way more secure so I may try that for a while to keep tail from swinging around, being sat on, etc . After cutting a chopstick to size, the best I've found so far

Keep growing!
    Thankyou Feral_. That one held the rest of the afternoon before I had to take it out since it refused to fall out on its own. So keeping the braid may be a more correct path for me.

The forks lakhesis posted [#99] gave me an idea to make a giant U pin (more technically known as bent scrap) and try that soon. Two tines seem so much better than one.
    Ah. Yeah, I always go for braided styles if I know I'm going to want my hair to be extra-secure. Buns of loose hair using a single stick are okay for light everyday activities, but when I know I'll be doing things that involve more vigorous motion (or changing clothes a lot, like while shopping and trying things on that pull over the head), I'll wear a braided style.

I have these simple forks that are essentially giant U pins with a bit of a head curve and they hold braided buns quite well for me, although of course you could also make your own. I find the tines are thin enough to easily slip through braids but the metal is also stiff enough and not overly flimsy.

And wow, I just checked the website -- I don't generally like wooden hair toys but the interesting squiggly yet minimal shapes of some of these here (like this one) are quite nice. I don't think I've seen colored/stained wood hair toys in these kinds of shapes before. Thanks for bringing it up, lakhesis, and DweamGoil for the link to the website!
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Length
    SL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    If anyone is in Europe, I can really recommend these, they are great, the price is low and the shipping within EU is reasonable.

I didn't get them on etsy though, but in person on Charles bridge in Prague more than 2 years ago They are my most worn forks for sure. Probably mostly because of how simple the design is

I got excited when you said "reasonable shipping" but then they ask 45Ä to ship to Luxembourg...
    Shoulder (Mid 2018 BC) | Armpit (18.06.19) | Brastrap (01.08~18.12.19) | Waist (10.04.20) | Hip (09.12.20) | Tailbone | Classic
    ((Last trim: 21.12.2020 ~ Next cut: March 2022​))

Length
    scalp/50/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    Ah. Yeah, I always go for braided styles if I know I'm going to want my hair to be extra-secure. Buns of loose hair using a single stick are okay for light everyday activities, but when I know I'll be doing things that involve more vigorous motion (or changing clothes a lot, like while shopping and trying things on that pull over the head), I'll wear a braided style.

I have these simple forks that are essentially giant U pins with a bit of a head curve and they hold braided buns quite well for me, although of course you could also make your own. I find the tines are thin enough to easily slip through braids but the metal is also stiff enough and not overly flimsy.
    Trial and error is always fun. Now I know haha. Hey thanks for the Target link, at 5" they seem like the right length for me but unfortunately they are not in stock here. No matter I moved a piece of heavy music wire from my discards to keepers pile yesterday
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    I have a few of their slides from years ago. They are amazing! It's cool they are on Etsy now. I have always shopped directly from their site.
    Oh they actually have more types here, good to know, thank you! Now I am tempted to order I've seen the slides they make too, they are beautiful, the craftsmanship is amazing

I have these and also these, although it's obviously better to make it yourself if you have the tools and materials already but they work fine, it doesn't feel as secure to me as thicker forks, but the hold is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by pisinoe View Post
    I got excited when you said "reasonable shipping" but then they ask 45€ to ship to Luxembourg...
    Oh no I even checked on purpose few countries in EU before I posted, all of them had shipping in the range of couple euros, sorry about that .
    Well if you ever visit Prague, they are selling them at one of the most popular tourist place, they used to be there almost daily prior to covid.

Length
    SL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Thank you, lakhesis! I ended up ordering from Alpenlandkunst so I think I'll be good for now with wood hair sticks (except if, ahem, Mapleburls call to me).

I ended up ordering a Titanium fork from Kiehlsklunker, but I kinda wanna change the color now, not sure if it's too late (I got the pink one). And also ordered a 4 prong fork that looks similar to Quattro, looking forward to that. After seeing Milady's picture of her Quattro "pin" I now want one but their price + shipping is just way too overboard for me.
    Last edited by pisinoe; May 6th, 2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Shoulder (Mid 2018 BC) | Armpit (18.06.19) | Brastrap (01.08~18.12.19) | Waist (10.04.20) | Hip (09.12.20) | Tailbone | Classic
    ((Last trim: 21.12.2020 ~ Next cut: March 2022​))

Length
    12/27in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    Well thanks for enabling me! I looked at that site several times and then found them on Etsy. Those designs are just beautiful! I couldn't resist and ordered several items so the mailing cost will be amortised amongst them, lol. Now the long wait...