Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pure henna turns ruby red (instead of copper)

Default Re: Pure henna turns ruby red (instead of copper)

I forgot to add I add a bit of indigo to my henna, which helps to tone down the red color. I would recommend trying this, which will give you a more brown result. I used to do the two step process with this, but now I just mix a bit of indigo in with my henna.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I do remember that the pure henna stained my white hair and made it a bit lighter. Actually that happens even now with box dyes so I thought why not go the healthier alternative when there is no difference in strength (many people would tell me box dyes cover grey hair completely, I don't know, in my case it showed the white hair after a few washes anyway).

The pure USDA organic henna does a good job of covering a few gray hairs, and I have seen YouTube videos where people get very good results covering almost gray hair with the two-step henna/indigo applications. First, you apply the henna, rinse, and then apply the indigo. I only have maybe ten gray hairs, but these are noticeable on my darker hair, so I like henna for covering it. Honestly, I probably could do the same thing with those root cover-up brush kits, which washes out in the shower. However, I love henna because it is a natural conditioner for hair, and even though my hair has always grown moderately fast, I noticed even better results after henna applications. I buy the Light Mountain henna sold on Amazon. I am part Syrian and notice that Middle Eastern/Indian hair care ideas work well for my hair, but I have noticed some people make declarative statements about how even natural henna is not good for hair growth. I deeply disagree and think maybe it is not conducive for certain hair types and textures, and kind of got tired of having people keep citing George Michael as being against henna, especially since there is centuries of documented evidence and women in the Middle East and India have used to strengthen their hair. I could be wrong about that, but some commentator came to a friend's YouTube page and was telling her how much George Michael salons are against henna, and I shook my head. So do not just go off what others say about henna, and do your research and find what works for you. I am glad I was open to Indian hair care ideas before stumbling on to the anti henna statements. I understand henna does not work for everyone, but the people who had bad experiences could sometimes have a different hair type than yourself, and your experience may vary.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

LongHairCalif: Thank you! I have never seen an article against henna to be honest (not at least in my country which is in Europe) and I am fairly certain we have no George Michael salons here. In fact I have seen a few salons that only use organic haircare and henna. When I used henna a few years back I didn't notice any significant improvement but that was also because at the time my ends was beyond repair (I used to bleach them white). On the other hand it didn't damage my hair which can't be said about box dyes. My ends are sort of okay but I see some damage like split ends and dryness. In fact, I gave up on braiding because the ends always get tangled and it makes braiding super annoying.

I just remember some people citing George Michael salons are against henna in the comments on one video. I did Google to find out if this is true, and there seems to be no evidence. I have not dyed my hair in over seven years, but I have used henna a few times a year since 2015 with good results. My hair is almost knee-length now, and it was about tail bone length two years ago. I am encouraged to hear that salons are not promoting henna since there are many mainstream American salons that still discourage people from using it.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Hmm, I heard hairdressers don't like henna because it's hard to get out and can be unpredictable with chemical haircare. I have never gotten my hair grow longer than my waist even when I had my virgin hair. I would love it to grow to my hips though. But you know, at this point I would be happy just for healthy hair with natural looking copper (don't get me started on chemical hair dyes and their "natural looking" copper - one of the reasons I gave up).

I think part of my hair being able to grow long is genetics. I know my great grandmother had hair to her knees, and until a couple of years ago, I just was trimming off too many inches to see how long it could really grow. Now that I trim less frequently I am nearly at knee length.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LongHairCalif View Post
    I think part of my hair being able to grow long is genetics. I know my great grandmother had hair to her knees, and until a couple of years ago, I just was trimming off too many inches to see how long it could really grow. Now that I trim less frequently I am nearly at knee length.
    I agree, the biggest part is genetics. I have thick hair after my grandfather (the story goes his family came from Croatia or some of those parts and many of the family have thick black curly hair) but it was never longer than my waist and I am fine with it.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

double post