Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acid mantle of the scalp, SD, and washing preferences?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Acid mantle of the scalp, SD, and washing preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    I appreciate that you have SD. I do too. I am writing this post because some other factors have ratcheted up the stress in my life which makes it harder to wash, which means it’s much more likely that I have a flare-up. I don’t use a medicated shampoo every week, just when I’m concerned about a flare-up. I’ve followed the typical advice to use a strong shampoo, but I’m wondering if that’s actually helping in the long run, or just stripping my scalp and making it more vulnerable to fungal overgrowth because of a pH more favorable to fungal overgrowth. I would love love love to not wash my hair every other day. Right now I am because it’s the only option I’ve explored that works. But if there’s another alley, I want to explore it, because what I’m doing right now comes at a cost to me. Also: I haven’t been able to stretch. It doesn’t matter which shampoo I use. Even if I use a medicated one, day 3 will be itchy. This happened even when I had been using a medicated shampoo for a month. When I was washing every day, per dermatologist instruction, my hair started getting oily on day 1, which kind of scared me because I knew that schedule was not one I could maintain forever.
    Maybe get a shampoo that clearly states it is pH balanced? And try that? Over here we have the brand "Neutral" and that used to say it was pH balanced. Used to, I haven't bought this in a long time!

Does your hair fall out more when you have a flare-up?

I’m nervous about using oil on my scalp for the reason Lapushka mentioned, but on the flip side I’ve heard good things about tea tree oil’s antifungal properties. Would you mind elaborating or sharing some links on overshampooing? It seems a hard balance to maintain but this is the first time I’ve heard something about overshampooing encouraging a specific growth.
    EOs may be different, and just OK to use in your shampoo. They will "mix" with a detergent. But I would err on the side of caution and start with just a few drops of it mixed in.

I do have to say they once made a shampoo with Aloe vera leaf extract *before* water (now they changed the formula and it's aqua first and then AV leaf juice. It used to keep my SD at bay even more than a strong sulfate shampoo (that shampoo back then was very mild), so AV might be nice to look into?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Most shampoos are pH balanced to support the acid mantle. You don't have to worry about frequent washing upsetting the natural balance.

I get SD flares also, although not for a long time. My doctor told me to avoid leaving my hair wet for long periods of time, so I don't.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I get SD flares also, although not for a long time. My doctor told me to avoid leaving my hair wet for long periods of time, so I don't.
    Also a very good tip. I air dry from about 11AM (can be a little later) to 3PM, so for roughly 4H, and then I quickly diffuse for 5 minutes. Best of both worlds, but I can't leave it to dry all on its own, would take 8+H and IDK, I always get the feeling it is never fully dry when it totally air dries. And I get that feeling especially at the roots! No. That's not for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/24/80
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I have a strange scalp condition too, possibly SD..and strong shampoos are just something my scalp can't handle....even Nizoral, which I thought was my last hope. I might even be allergic to my own sebum ( crazy, I know, but my scalp gets VERY sore if it gets greasy...like UNBEARABLY sore). But there are alternative methods that get the scalp quite clean. Rye flour, bean flour and shikakai/aritha all do this quite well, and don't give me the reactions many common chemicals do. And you can add neem powder for it's antifungal benefits! It might be worth a try, especially if what you have is contact dermatitis or the similiar. Just another possibility for you. I know how frustrating it can be when you feel you are out of options.. It has taken me YEARS to halfway figure this all out. But it seems as though my shedding may have finally decreased with these methods...really do HTH..
    Last edited by lilelf; October 4th, 2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot something..stupid brainfog...