Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: October 2019: Spirit Bun

I found this comment on the original thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by podo View Post
    omg! That's amazing!

For those who don't think they can do this (yet) - I've found that a lot of times you can make it look like more hair if you split it up some... so for the Spirit Bun, do one braid starting at the top and one at the bottom - wrap one braid and then the other so they come out a little more evenly.

I'm SO going to have to try this tonight/tomorrow! I'm seeing some neat variations, like crossing 2 sticks and weaving them in and out (I actually saw this idea somewhere else, but can't remember the name), or using 3 short sticks in a circle...muhahahah
    I hope this helps some people who think they don't have enough length to try this.

I remember wanting to try this bun out a while ago and never did. I guess this is my opportunity to actually sit down and try it.
    Can I do it with a regular English braid as a base, not a French braid? Will the sticks hold?

Great suggestions

My hair is too fine/wispy to section, and there is not enough for 2 braids

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Thanks, GG!

I couldn't get the top stick to stay without French braiding but my hair is super slippery.

For the unbraided version, I used a hair tie in a half-up to anchor the top stick and braided just a few stitches to anchor the bottom stick.

I'm mulling over a version with barrettes, too... and wishing I had matching (or at least complimentary) barrettes.

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It really did NOT hold for me when I did a regular English braid, but I do have slippery hair too
    ᛃ 2008: 33cm/13" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 104cm/42"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

How about starting off with a faux French braid, which is fast and easy?

My hair isn't long enough, yet, or I would try it.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    24/38.25/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I had a suspicion that an english braid wouldn't hold the top stick, so I prodded myself to do a proper french braid before bed. Another time I might try it with an english braid or unbraided. I actually slept with it in the spirit bun (I swapped out the sticks for a couple of bun pins) and it was surprisingly comfortable. I normally do NOT do well with back of the head buns for sleeping.

For some reason it came out a little bit diagonal on me, so I sort of shoved it into a more vertical positioning. Apologies for the awkward mirror photo.

Very pretty enting

I tried it today... I was surprised that it held pretty well without any hair pins. My length worked out so I could make the figure-8 once, and then have enough left over to tuck the end under the center crossed bit. I re-did it once when it started sliding down a bit (I went with just an English braid), and my sticks ended up not straight across (pulled diagonal by the hair) so I need to work on that a bit. Also, I need shorter sticks than my double-pointed knitting needles, because those just looked weird. (I don't have pictures.)

I might try again tomorrow, maybe with a french braid. It would look interesting with a rope braid, I think, but a rope braid for me is shorter than an English braid, and I fear it might not be long enough.

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I just tried it and its currently pulling the top hairstick downwards and my ends are coming untucked. I put it up ~1 minute ago. I think my hair is a bit heavy for this bin without additional support whether through a french braid or pins.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights