Thread: Limp, frizzy, and sticky hair... Help figuring out a new routine?

Default Limp, frizzy, and sticky hair... Help figuring out a new routine?

I'm in the middle of a hair crisis. My hair is pretty damaged. It's been bleached once, and box dyed twice. It's type 1c-2a, and very frizzy. It used to be a cute, fluffy kind of frizzy that I really liked, but now it's limp and waxy at the roots, with no "fluff" or volume at all. I also shed A LOT. It makes me want to shave my head.

In middle school and high school, before I color treated my hair, I just used Mane N Tail shampoo and conditioner and nothing else, 2x a week. It worked great. After color treating it, I decided to try the curly girl method for awhile. I hated it, and went back to Mane N Tail, but it's just not the same...

Right now my "routine" is just Mane N Tail shampoo + conditioner every other day. If I try to wash it twice a week like I used to, it gets suuuper oily and gross. Once a week or so I use the Shea Moisture Strengthen and Restore Treatment Masque to try and make my hair more manageable.

I'd like to start a new hair care routine but I have no idea where to start. Help would be greatly appreciated. (I live in the United States, btw.)

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/WL/Term
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Limp, frizzy, and sticky hair... Help figuring out a new routine?

I'm going to share an article called Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice first because it has some pretty great basic info on establishing a routine that works for you.

The only thing I'd really add if that if you haven't clarified in a while it might be good to do that first. Especially if you were doing curly girl, some of the limp frizzy feeling might be product build up. You can buy a shampoo specifically for clarifying, or a lot of people just use any old clear shampoo with sulfates (which I think Mane and Tail has?), as opposed to a mild moisturizing one (those usually look more creamy). To clarify, just work it in from roots to tips, rinse well, and follow with a good moisturizing treatment for the length and ends. Even your regular conditioner is fine. You can make it a little fancier by adding honey/aloe/oil to do an SMT (DIY deep conditioner) or use a deeper conditioning mask like your Shea Moisture one, really focusing on the color treated area. Leaving it on for a while helps, especially under a shower cap or with a little heat.

Then after that, Ursula's article has some good suggestions for building a new routine in a methodical way, so you can try new things and evaluate results without getting overwhelmed.

I hope this helps! If you're already familiar with this stuff it might sound redundant, but from personal experience I can say it never hurts to go back to the basics
    Last edited by Ophidian; September 29th, 2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: clarifications

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip!... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...
    Embracing a minimalist routine for 2019

Length
    14/40/CL+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I second the above advice! I think what the curly girl method fails to account for is that there are PLENTY of other ingredients that cause buildup. You might need a really good cleanse, some penetrating oils, and yes, some 'cones! I also felt like my hair became really dry, waxy/sticky, and dull when I tried the curly girl thing. Now, I do a heavy oiling (usually with coconut) before shampooing, and I only shampoo the roots once. I like conditioners/leave-ins that contain silicone but not as the third ingredient. Farther down on the list is best. Aussie 3MM is nice. During the week if my hair feels dry, I'll apply a tiny bit of any kind of oil to the ends. I would be surprised if your hair doesn't respond well to this!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Seconding the advice to clarify. You might need to do it more than once to get rid of any buildup. Also check your usual shampoo doesn't contain silicones, because they can really weigh down roots and make them look greasy quicker.

You might then want to experiment with CWC or WCC to help your damaged ends; many of us use one of those methods even on virgin hair just because it needs that extra hydration pre-poo oiling is another easy option to try, but make sure you put conditioner on top once you go to wash, let it sit, then rinse out - don't try to shampoo oil out. But like the article says, just try one thing at a time and give it chance to work before trying something else
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Enjoying calf for a while.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree - clarify. And yes, it might take more than once if you haven't done it in a long time, and especially if you've never done it. I think it's easiest to just buy a clarifying shampoo - it will say clarifying right on the label. You'll want to use it every few weeks to every couple of months. Hair that is limp and dull is my cue to clarify. Now that I live in an area with hard water, I have to clarify a lot more often than I did in a soft water area. That's o.k., though; it doesn't seem to be harming my hair in any way.

Chemically treated hair often needs different care than the virgin. It takes some time to figure it out but you have good advice (definitely read Ursula's guide to rework the basics).

Good luck