Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning of a Long journey =)

Red face Beginning of a Long journey =)

Hello LHC !

I would like to share with you the story of my hair that never was long or good enough.
    As a child, I already wanted long hair but was not able to care for it (I didn't even brush it ). Eventually I learnt to treat it properly, with a classic routine, and it grew to about BSL. It was a pretty dark blond with a lot of depth of color, overall I think it could have been beautiful. Unfortunately this is when I became a teenager and began to feel insecure and unsatisfied with my appearance. I saw my hair as flat, lifeless, boring, even digusting. It had gotten a lot darker and I was anxious it would no longer look blonde. I bought a whole lot of commercial products in the attempt to "do something about it". I realised it wasn't actually that bad since I did find some satisfaction with all this styling stuff I tried - alas, not enough.
    I ruined it all with semi-permanent dye, which washed out so badly it left me with strange-looking colors that didn't make sense. In desperation, I bleached it sevral times but it only got worse (I didn't think that would be possible). I had to cover it with chemical dye but still was unhappy with the result. Now I had nothing left to loose, I decided to dye my hair a lighter shade, a "real" blonde, which I did not dare to try before getting into this mess. I was happy to be blonde once again. But ah, the damage done by all that dye !

Thus I fell into the vicious circle of chemically blonder shades. My roots looked so dark and grey I dyed them out about every month, and stayed in non acceptance and dislike of my natural colors. This lasted for six years. I battled with green undertones, then brassiness and all along with the damage issue. My hair dissolved into nothingness just after shoulder length so it seemed to never grow. I babied my hair with every type of product from the shops : it did some good, but was not enough to counter the damaging. I started oiling : this did wonders but still was not enough.

I finally realised that what I want is healthy hair above all - and you just can't buy that in a box.
    Besides, the color I was striving for is simply not attainable. To get the perfect nuance is so demanding.
    I have had enough.
    It has now been a year since I gave up chemical dyes. I have tried a variety of plants instead and my hair has never been better
    I use cassia with mallow every other month, and oil before washing. I have lots of tiny hairs popping out, it seems like they truely were killed at the root and didn't grow at all . This does look sort of silly but I don't want to cut because my natural color has grown only to my ears and I don't like hair this short on me.

Anyway, I am hair to find the best care and advice for my hair ! Apologies for the length of my post (not yet that of my hair)

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Beginning of a Long journey =)

Welcome to the forum. There is a good thread around here about growing out dye, maybe join that one!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    22/13/36
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Hello! I feel your pain with insecurity surrounding your natural hair color and trying to “fix” your natural hair color with chemical dyes. I’ve got mouse-y light brown hair that loves taking up red dye, so my ends are forever brassy from it. If I ever try to dye my hair red again, I hope somebody will rappel down from the ceiling and slap the dye out of my hands.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Hi, welcome to the forum!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    0.25/45/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

Home is where the heart is

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome. I can relate to your story quite a bit. I also destroyed my hair and giving up all the bleach dyes and heat was the best thing I did for my hair. I hope you come to love your natural color and the feeling of your natural hair. It is also very freeing not to have to worry about matching roots and upkeep of that sort. Happy growing

Thank you all for your replies

Maya Louise - A lot of people from the stories I hear about dying hair because they are unsatisfied seem to have this range of brown-dark blond- ashen shades. Such an unappreciated group of colors
    I wish you to be that person who stops you from changing for the wrong reasons.

Milosmomma - The feeling of hair, yesss, that's a win !

Length
    BCL/HL+/~CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Welcome to the forum. There is a good thread around here about growing out dye, maybe join that one!
    Indeed - come join us over here! Welcome to the forum!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Welcome! I've also given up bleaching and couldn't be happier. It's going to feel great to embrace your natural color, not only is it less hassle but it's liberating on an emotional level too

Thanks girls

Also I have a newbie question : I can't see most of the pictures integrated into the posts, is this normal ?