Thread: Indigo Thread

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Cool Indigo Thread

To all the Indigo-heads:
    THE INDIGO THREAD IS HERE

Hey everyone! I'm still a newbie here, but I noticed that there's a Henna thread and a Cassia thread but no Indigo thread... I used the search tool but didn't find one, please correct me if I'm wrong!

There is a lot of information here and there but no thread that puts them all together! I will need your help to do that

The idea would be to link in this first post all the recipes and threads you're hopefully going to add, so that the thread stays clean and easy to navigate, but I will do it once I will reach the not-newbie user level

RECIPES

I guess everyone has their own indigo/hendigo strategy, so please write your recipe and the color you obtain and I will reference it here And don't forget to post the picture of your fabulous indigoed ​hair!!

• gothicshollow - page 1 + anti-dripping method page 4
    • TatsuOni - page 1
    • C_Bookworm - page 1
    • Nox_Inber - page 1

INDIGO SELLERS

US
    Please write the brands you are using in the US and the sellers, I don't know any!

EU
    I know other shops but I never bought indigo there, so I start listing only those whose indigo I've tested.

France
    Aroma Zone

Italy
    Erbe di Janas
    Golden East Store (Brand: "Fabula Naturals")

Sweden
    Hennabutiken

INDIGO-RELATED THREADS
    Please write if you found other indigo-related threads!

FINDING INDIGO
    Where is indigo available other than online?

GOING BLACK & OTHER SHADES
    Getting the blackest of black
    Indigo for blue-black

Blue-black hair with indigo
    Indigo for blue hair
    Indigo on bleached hair
    Indigo - white to black

COLOR MAINTENANCE
    Was your indigo permanent?
    Preserving and prolonging indigo black

INDIGO AND OTHER HERBS
    Katam vs. Indigo
    Indigo vs. Buxus

OTHER TIPS
    How to moisture after indigo
    Last edited by gothicshollow; October 19th, 2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added info

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Default Re: Indigo Thread

I start with my indigo recipe here.
    My natural color: light brown
    Final color: pitch black, fades to purple-red shaded black

Step 1 Step 2
    - 100% henna (Aroma Zone's Rajasthan, Zarqa, Karishma, other brands available in EU)
    - Sometimes I add other stuff (Amla powder, Alcanna tintoria, Hibiscus)
    - Mixed with cold or lukewarm tea
    - Let sit for some hours
    - Apply on recently washed hair (without conditioner)
    - Overnight treatment
    - Rinse with only water
    Typically the day after step 1; sometimes I'm lazy and I go around with red roots for a while before moving to step 2

- 100% indigo (Aroma Zone)
    - 1 Tbsp baking soda
    - Mixed with warm but not too-warm water
    - Apply immediately and wait 2 hours
    - Rinse with water and apply conditioner if needed
    - Final wash with vinegar/water mix

Not more than once a month, because I'm lazy!

Picture after the last time I did it:

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I buy my indigo (and henna) from hennabutiken. Sweden.

I'm going to be lazy now and link to my blog. This is how I do it.

It took me quite a while to get it black and it faded quickly in the beginning. Now it's very permanent and I get away mostly with root touch ups. And I'm lazy so I do it every few months. I do the entire head with indigo once a year (henna only for the roots).

My natural color.

The henna color I started with, when I began using indigo.

Current color and roots.

In case anyone's interested. Here's a post with pictures on how long it took me to get black hair. https://tatsu.blogg.se/2019/septembe...o.html#comment
    Last edited by TatsuOni; September 19th, 2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Addedd a link

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I’m a 2-step henndigo user.

My first step is Napur Godrej henna, which is henna mixed with Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Methi, Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus, and Jatamansi. I mix up my henna with lemon juice and water and let it sit for 24 hours before I use it. If I apply during the day, I’ll leave it on for 4 hours. The majority of the time I try to apply at night, though. That way I can go to sleep and leave the henna on for 6 hours.

In the morning, I’ll wash it off, mix up Herbs&Crops Henna Sooq indigo with a pinch of Anthony’s xanthan gum and warm water, and apply. The xanthan gum doesn’t contribute to color, it’s there to stop the indigo from being runny. I leave the indigo on for between 1 and 2 hours, then wash it off.

I buy my indigo, henna, and xanthan gum from Amazon. I’m in the US.

In general, my hair looks more cool-toned in natural and fluorescent light, although I do pick up warm tones under incandescent light.

Updated 1/3/20:
    I’ve got a Holy Grail indigo! Henna Sooq indigo. Otherwise, my routine is unchanged.
    Last edited by C_Bookworm; January 3rd, 2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Updated indigo info
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Yay an indigo thread!

I did a 2 step henndigo process for the first time last month. I used RavennaNight's method as a starting point so I had some kind of sensible structure I used Moroccan henna from HennaSooq, added warm not hot water then followed Nightshade's crock pot release method. In the meantime I clarified my hair so I didn't have cones or oils blocking out the henna. I left my henna on for 4 hours and it actually made me quite nauseous due to the strength of the smell but any strong lingering scent gives me that problem. I washed it out with water only. I waited until the next day to mix my indigo (also from HennaSooq). I added warm water, allowed it to release for maybe 10 minutes maximum, then smothered my hair in it. I noticed that indigo was harder to apply because the consistency just isn't as nice and smooth as henna. It's drippy and grainy at the same time if that makes sense. I had to add more water than anticipated to make it workable, it really absorbed the water! Once I got my hair covered in it, I left it for 2 hours then washed it out with water first then conditioner towards the end.

The green tint was gone in under a day, then smell left after about a week. For the first few washes it stained my fingernails and hands a light blue, and left a slight tinge on my bathtub. I'm used to bleeding dye so this wasn't a huge deal. My hair was dyed to a very dark black. It's been just under a month and my hair has faded to a very dark brown that's slightly warm. It's actually not too far off from my natural hair color when it's not sun bleached. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it darkened my hair overall I think a few more applications will be all I need to make it ultra permanent. I also wash every other day so it's gotta go through a lot of washing.

Things I want to do differently next time?
    -Salt in the indigo. I intended to do this the first time but I forgot until it was already mixed and going on my head.
    -Sectioning my hair. I was able to apply henna without doing this but indigo doesn't smooth around as well. It probably would have made the application a lot easier.

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post

It took me quite a while to get it black and it faded quickly in the beginning. Now it's very permanent and I get away mostly with root touch ups. And I'm lazy so I do it every few months. I do the entire head with indigo once a year (henna only for the roots).

Current color and roots.
    Awesome black here!
    For me it is now permanent only on the lengths, while it fades to this red-purplish black gradually up to the roots. My natural hair tend to stick very well to red so I learned to accept my temporary red roots

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    In the morning, I’ll wash it off, mix up Herbs&Crops indigo with a pinch of Anthony’s xanthan gum and warm water, and apply. The xanthan gum doesn’t contribute to color, it’s there to stop the indigo from being runny. I leave the indigo on for between 1 and 2 hours, then wash it off.
    Thank you for the xanthan gum tip! I have tons of it at home for my cosmetics and I never thought about using it to make the indigo firmer!

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    I noticed that indigo was harder to apply because the consistency just isn't as nice and smooth as henna. It's drippy and grainy at the same time if that makes sense. I had to add more water than anticipated to make it workable, it really absorbed the water! Once I got my hair covered in it, I left it for 2 hours then washed it out with water first then conditioner towards the end.

The green tint was gone in under a day, then smell left after about a week. For the first few washes it stained my fingernails and hands a light blue, and left a slight tinge on my bathtub. I'm used to bleeding dye so this wasn't a huge deal. My hair was dyed to a very dark black. It's been just under a month and my hair has faded to a very dark brown that's slightly warm. It's actually not too far off from my natural hair color when it's not sun bleached. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it darkened my hair overall I think a few more applications will be all I need to make it ultra permanent. I also wash every other day so it's gotta go through a lot of washing.

Things I want to do differently next time?
    -Salt in the indigo. I intended to do this the first time but I forgot until it was already mixed and going on my head.
    -Sectioning my hair. I was able to apply henna without doing this but indigo doesn't smooth around as well. It probably would have made the application a lot easier.
    The consistency of indigo is awful compared to henna, that's true! It is harder to apply but at the same time it drips like hell!!
    I also have a hard time with the smell, I don't dislike the henna smell but indigo stinks :/
    I tell myself that I should section my hair everytime, too, but I'm too lazy to do that! Sometimes I spot some areas that are redder than the others but I don't really care... For me it is not worth the effort and the mess, at least until I don't have white hair to cover!

So my last 2-step was two-almost three weeks ago; last sunday I surprisingly wanted to do some treatment to my hair and I prepared a random mix of herbs including indigo, to see if it would revive a bit the color: I mixed henna, indigo, amla, kapoor kachli and neem together (more or less in equal parts) and mixed with diluted coffee. I applied it on clean hair and washed after two hours. It made the hair color a bit deeper where it was fading, I liked it! And all the herbs covered the indigo smell very well.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

When I do a full head touch up, I lay on my back on an old pillow and watch a movie to avoid the dripping.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Yay awesome thread!! i started using indigo not long ago and i’m still trying to make it stick to my hair.
    For me is a really messy process so doing it every 2 to 3 months until it stays for longer sounds like a good plan by now, ill share my routine once i make sure it has worked!

Length
    14/26/26
    Type
    1a/M/i

Sooooo it's almost time for me to do the hendigo again!!
    I think I will start with red henna tonight, but I will do the indigo on sunday for sports/hair washing reasons.

Combining my running days with the 2-step indigo is always a mess for me, I have to calculate when should I do the overnight henna and the indigo step such that I don't have to wash my hair immediately within the next two days.
    I typically do the hendigo on weekends; since my runs are normally on fridays and sundays, I tend to wash my hair on friday, do the henna on saturday evening, go again for a run on sunday and do the indigo afterwards (after a quick wash with water only).
    But for this time, I will do the henna tonight (friday, after the run) because my boyfriend is not there and for once I have the chance to sleep alone while being uncomfortable with the henna and I don't bother anyone Then I'll do the indigo after the next run.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

It's also henndigo time for me! I'm going to give Nupur 9 herbs blend a try, I can get a 3 pack for pretty cheap through Amazon. I used Moroccan henna last time and loved it but everyone is sold out I'm also trying Zenia for indigo. My black is still fading and will probably need at least a few more applications before it's perma-black so I'm going more for a bulk buy this time. My stuff should arrive by Wednesday

gothicshollow don't forget to section this time lol I'm a huge hypocrite because I probably won't either even though I know better